Insurance for 4wd ... Any suggestions??

waka
Hard Yaka

Insurance for 4wd ... Any suggestions??

Postby waka » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at changing insurance companies as they are giving me a bit of a low ball price when it comes to the value of my Truck 80 Series Landcruiser.
Does any one here have any suggestions for insurance on an agreed amount. As ive spent thousands on my truck and i know what it owes me and what its value would be if some one who knows what works been done on it as well would pay. (not market value) So what im trying to say is .. is there an insurance company who with a recent valuation on the truck would insure the truck for that amount (taking into consideration all the money ive spent on it) your help would be appreciated

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Insurance for 4wd ... Any suggestions??

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:51 am

waka wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm looking at changing insurance companies as they are giving me a bit of a low ball price when it comes to the value of my Truck 80 Series Landcruiser.
Does any one here have any suggestions for insurance on an agreed amount. As ive spent thousands on my truck and i know what it owes me and what its value would be if some one who knows what works been done on it as well would pay. (not market value) So what im trying to say is .. is there an insurance company who with a recent valuation on the truck would insure the truck for that amount (taking into consideration all the money ive spent on it) your help would be appreciated

State did the same until you go get it valued. then they will change it.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am

I'm with AMI and they have been pretty good to me over the many years and very well priced. At first they underestimated the value of my Safari as they had it listed as a petrol model, i challenged them and they said they were happy to accept a valuation from a car yard. The car yard charged me $25 and gave me a hand writted letter saying that it was worth much more ,cant remember the exact value, but The vehicle is now insured at the higher value :D ......However..... they will still do their own valuation on it if it is written off but will allow me to challenge them again if it is less than the current insured value......if that makes sense. It also didnt cost me any more to insure it at the higher value, and as far as I was aware most major insurance companies will let you chanlenge their valuation.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Im with AA. Their value was a little more than I paid so went with that and added all the extras as I went along. I have an agreement also that I pay more excess for when off road :mrgreen:
So just go with the basic price and then add value off all the goodies you put on, make sure they are listed by brand etc.

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

For what you want either national auto club or click are the insurers that will give you what you want but you will pay for it, they are the modified experts and will insure just about anything.

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Where ever you go make sure it is covered off road, I was will AA, no claims for live, agreed value, but it wasnt covered when off a formed road.
Im now with FMG they cover for replacement value (will no doubt cause need for discussion if I ever need to claim) and covered so long as the vehicle is being used what it is designed for (ie off road) but not for competitions use.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:06 pm

catalystracing wrote:Im with AA. Their value was a little more than I paid so went with that and added all the extras as I went along. I have an agreement also that I pay more excess for when off road :mrgreen:

I hope that is in writing... AA doesn't normally cover you offroad.....
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 pm

john barley www.barley.co.nz is good to deal with and has a 4wd specific policy
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 pm

NJV6 wrote:
catalystracing wrote:Im with AA. Their value was a little more than I paid so went with that and added all the extras as I went along. I have an agreement also that I pay more excess for when off road :mrgreen:

I hope that is in writing... AA doesn't normally cover you offroad.....

Yup its in writing, because its being used for intended purpose so they were ok, but with bigger excess for off road incident if I need to claim.

Murf
Stropper

Postby Murf » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:22 pm

Try 'Steve' Taylor at 'Hutchison Rodway Ltd' (who are brokers) (09) 479-1071.
He has insured my 95 Landcruiser with 'Lumley' insurance.
I have listed all the mods that have been done and the value of the add on's.
The vehicle is insured with a guaranteed pay out of 26k.

evyauto
Bush Crasher

Postby evyauto » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Jerry wrote:john barley http://www.barley.co.nz is good to deal with and has a 4wd specific policy

I have to really agree on this one, they are fantastic, I have just had to claim after rolling mine (write off) they worked overtime to get it all sorted and are really good to deal with. As far as I researched before going with them they are the only ones that can get an offroad policy

Highly recommend talking to John and the Team

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Jerry wrote:john barley http://www.barley.co.nz is good to deal with and has a 4wd specific policy

These guys definately get my vote for insurance. The cover is excellent for on & off road. When my truck was stolen in December last year they were great to deal with, none of the usual arsing around that I've had with other insurers.
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Same here. Although they do specifically exclude ingestion of water into the engine.

axel
Hard Yaka

Postby axel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am

evyauto wrote:

I have to really agree on this one, they are fantastic, I have just had to claim after rolling mine (write off) they worked overtime to get it all sorted and are really good to deal with. As far as I researched before going with them they are the only ones that can get an offroad policy

During the claim investigation did they ask for proof of 4x4 club membership?

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 am

all those would insure with any company, ask for a copy of the policy wording,
most policy are Market value at the time of loss, and i know as a fact the agreed pay out is subject to a valuation to support this.
If you rebuild your truck, then a few months down the track it looks a bit more second hand, don't expect to get the full retail value it was insured for.

real facts from someone in the insurance industry.

i have insured all my vehicles including road legal ford ranger, to my old winch truck, an supercharger lexus.

i have read most policy wording, and been involved in a few claims that have been discussed re if covered.

John Barley is very good, but is still only the broker and must follow the terms of the policies he has via the underwriter whom is Lumley.

I see every day people insure there vehicle for what it costs to build or owes them.
think about what it can be sold for and thats the market value.

my winch truck to build was over $80,000 by the previous owner, sold recently for a third of that.

to build again would be at least that and somemore.

Not trying to put anyone off, just telling the facts.

Bob Uttridge
Heavy Transport and Equipment Assessor

Lumley
T 03 344 7702 M 027 436 4252
F 03 341 7702 E buttridge@lumley.co.nz

Lumley General Insurance (N.Z.) Limited, 21 Mandeville Street, Riccarton
PO Box 9322, Tower Junction, Christchurch 8149, New Zealand
Last edited by QUADRACER on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

listen to Bob ;-) I got a valuation of my truck and made sure the insurance company had a copy of it, that at least gives us a starting point to argue. But ultimately I expect they will give me market value for the truck at the time of loss and I hope to be able to negotiate swapping out the mods for standard items.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

evyauto
Bush Crasher

Postby evyauto » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 pm

axel wrote:
evyauto wrote:

During the claim investigation did they ask for proof of 4x4 club membership?

To be honest I don't think they did but I may have sent that in on my last renewal. Always remember to get it valued each year I forgot and that was the only hickup we had at claim time would have been easier again if I had done it before claim time

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 am

Be wary of the national auto club they do not have a very good rating for paying out claims.

A few guys I know with classic cars have agreed value policies with AA as they are they only insurer who would put the agreed value in writing. But I don't know how good they are for off road incidents.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:00 am

Don't mean to bump an old topic, but anyone have experience for someone under 25? Because at only 23 barley won't cover my surf...have sent a few emails out at the moment but any experience would be good to hear . cheers
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

hamishh
Bush Crasher

Postby hamishh » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm under 25 and I use fmg. Real good to deal with. Cover offroad too

eins
Bush Crasher

Postby eins » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:05 am

Can recommend John Barley. Defiantly worth talking to them.

Most insurance policys that cover you for proper off road use will only insure you for market value and that normally includes depreciating any parts fitted for mods. So a $1800 ARB locker that is 3 years old will be valued at less than half new price. Another thing is trucks that are used off road often have bush marks and small dents etc from that. A few of them and it going to knock $100's off payout.

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am

Again ask for the underwriters policy wording, read it cafefully.
ask for first option of buy back if (written off ) just because its is yours as soon as you are paid out, you do not have first option of buying it.

most insurers use a agent ie Turners for disposal of wreck, it will be de registered and some go for top dollar, wreckers love 4x4 diesels.

look around and talk to a few 4x4 clubs for feedback re claiming with different insurers.

And finally, an insurance company is a business that is their to make money, if the risk is too high the schemes, and cover will not exist.
be geniune with you claims, once caught it will be the last time cover is given.

just my 2c worth..

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am

And this, my friends, is why ore is such a great place to hang out in.
A fountain of knowledge right here for all to read

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:16 pm

So not the same question but very much related that I'm a few people myself included might be wondering.. How does one go about insuring a trailer queen, and trailers for that matter? Obviously we are mostly talking cover for theft here and destroyed in fire/natural disaster etc. Normal 3rd party would generally not work..since the normal 'market value' is probably much less than the cost it would be to build the same truck again. Or should it be listed as a specified high value on your contents policy? This thread just got me thinking since switching to a bush only truck. I mean your not going to get back the blood sweat n tears that went into building it but at least you would have the peace of mind of being able to get a decent start again..should some lowlife decide it is better off in thier garage.
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:04 pm

I have the Mitsi with Fintel. Very good to deal with, as I had a claim earlier this year that happened "off a road" actually at a speedway. No questions asked.
I have my business stuff with Lumleys, also good.
The buggy lives on the trailer and anything on my trailers is covered to 10k or something.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:48 am

I use FMG - Really great and cover off road use.
I smashed my guards when I broke a panard rod on a club run and they repaired them for me.
Stay AWAY from VERO Insurance who work through brokers
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 pm

cheers got a few things to look at. As its still in project stage as well, i will see who will cover what.even if its just theft and cover while its on the trailer due to a hairy moment lastime it was on the trailer....... :shock:
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:57 am

Pico42 wrote:

Same here. Although they do specifically exclude ingestion of water into the engine.

Hi All, Just read this and was concerned so have spoken to John, the above statement is incorrect, if you stall in water and restart the engine and it hydraulics you won't be covered. That is the only time it applies and that makes perfect sense to me.

Below is a copy of his response to me.

Thanks for your email .
The Policy does not cover ingestion of water through an event that could have been forseen and thus was not accidental.
The only way that a motor will ingest water is when as you have stated – the motor has stalled and they try and start it again when in the water .

If the vehicle rolls over in the water and water goes into the motor then this would be covered because the proximate cause of the loss was the roll over of the vehicle.
Trust this is clear. We have had claims settled for damage to 4 x 4 vehicles crossing rivers and the claims have been settled for each and every one of them .

Regards
John Barley

-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:53 am

again read the policy wording Unforeseen means Not driving into a river that is in flood, looks like it is un crossable etc.

all resonable care to be taken. very grey area.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:43 pm

So lets say if I was to sell my truck it would be worth about $13,000 (The point of this is not to argue about what my truck is worth...) however it owes me about 10k more than that. For that fact, I won't sell it. I have put in too much time and money etc etc and its my baby!

If it was to get stolen or written off I couldn't not replace it for $13,000 there just isn't anything on the market the same. If I was to get it valued for agreed value they would probably value it at about 13k.

Is there anything I can do to get agreed value closer to 17-20 ish? First right to buy back is all good if it gets written off but if it is stolen I am way out of pocket. Personally I would be happy with about 17. I won't be able to get a truck the same but could get something similar but I doubt I could sell mine for that much.

Or are we all just buggered?

Return to “New Members and Beginners”