New to 4wd with a Safari

freakONAleash
Winch master

New to 4wd with a Safari

Postby freakONAleash » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I just bought a safari 89 model as I really like the look and off road. This is the first time I have bought an off road vehicle. Don't know much about them but I'm hoping it lasts a bit. So I was thinking about a long trip to the coromandel from Auckland and don't know if that is a good idea. Any thoughts on that. It has just be serviced but from a closer inspection I see that some head cover bolts are missing and some oil is sweating out.

Anyways will have to learn the hard way right. Lol.

Look forward to doing the off road thing.

Cheers!!!!!!!

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: New to 4wd with a Safari

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 pm

service it before going anywhere. and start saving for the rust repairs....Oh...did they say it had no rust.? it'll have rust somewhere.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

freakONAleash
Winch master

Postby freakONAleash » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Lol!! They did say that there is rust but how much I don't know! It's been serviced a month back but when I look at the motor it just looks old. Well it is old after all. I'll take a chance. If it doesn't make it I'll just leave it there. Hahaha

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Unless u know exactly what they did and if indeed a service was done, I would do a complete fluid change.
Ie Eng oil &filters, fuel filter,trans gearbox and diff oils.
Radiator guys tell me crossflows are prone to clogging up and getting them properly cleaned every few yrs is a good thing, made a noticeable diff to mine.wasnt that expensive.
After that a set of decent tyres and you've got reasonably capable out of the box vehicle, pretty strong & reliable.
After that it comes down to your intended use and budget for what mods u wish to make.
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 pm

have driven my swb Safari to Westport did three days of 4wd ,drove home they are a good truck if treated right , still good if your rough with them ,
just mind soft sand, swb and 2.4 ton not a great mix ,
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “New Members and Beginners”