Gear select issue after standing: Land Rover

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Gear select issue after standing: Land Rover

Postby Mongoose » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

Hey all,
I'm assuming this isn't Landy specific but thought I'd mention it.
Just went out to start my old Series 3 Rover up after a couple of months sitting still, started first pop( :D ) but when I went to stick it in gear there's just a crunch and no joy with actually selecting a gear. I'm assuming something's up with the clutch after sitting but never had that before, fluid level looks ok in the master cylinder and it goes in pretty ok with the transfer box in neutral but in low or high it's just graunching. Probably a dumb question but can anyone tell me what I need to be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers.

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Re: Gear select issue after standing: Land Rover

Postby Mongoose » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

thanks to LR90NZ for some tips to try, fingers crossed..

Cheers.

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:42 pm

sounds like the clutch plate has rusted to the flywheel.

have you tried starting the engine in gear, with your foot down on the clutch? this can free it up, so can towing it in gear, foot on clutch with ignition off - a bit rough but it works.

otherwise its gearbox out.
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:54 am

Weemsy wrote:sounds like the clutch plate has rusted to the flywheel.

have you tried starting the engine in gear, with your foot down on the clutch? this can free it up, so can towing it in gear, foot on clutch with ignition off - a bit rough but it works.

otherwise its gearbox out.

Hey Weemsy, yeah I did try that quite a few times but it's still refusing to disengage. I'm going to take a look at the slave cylinder and see if it's buggered.
Cheers.

Mongoose
Hard Yaka

Postby Mongoose » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:43 pm

:D Well after taking the floor out I got pissed off I still couldn't get decent access to the slave cylinder so I got pissed off and decided to put the truck away in the garage again. Stuck it in gear, dipped the clutch and started it up, after a couple of lurches forward there's a bit of a noise and the truck stops but the engine keeps going. We have clutch again :D
I'm surprised it rusted that quickly, must be the weather as it's in the bay of a barn rather than properly undercover in a garage but I reckon it's only been sitting not much more than a month since I last moved it and it was fine then.

Ah well, problem solved so back to the other work.
Thanks heaps for all the advice as usual.

Return to “Tool Shed”