Which diameter rope for PTO winch?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Which diameter rope for PTO winch?

Postby Mehrts » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey guys,

Looking at getting some new rope for my PTO winch... Just wondering what diameter to go for between 9-12mm with regards to breaking load and personal experiences with whatever size you run.

Looking at going for 30ish metres. If I need more length, then the extension strap can do the job. Thinking of putting less strain on everything if I have less turns of rope on the drum.

I see there are some not bad prices on Trade me for Dyneema ropes already made up with eye loops, but they are slightly shorter (24-26m). Tempted by these though.

Your thoughts?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Which diameter rope for PTO winch?

Postby Big » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 pm

pto will either break the shear pin or break at the rope.. or in between. If you get sick of shear pin breaking then you will drill out the hole and use bigger pins( just don't drill it out too big or the shaft on the worm drive WILL break- I think my bolt I use is 6-7mm and it will let go before the rope will.. But I suspect only just :mrgreen: ).. For rope.. stronger the better for me.. But it depends on how much you want.. and can fit.. I have mod'd my drum so can fit 50m 12mm on with a little room for side pulls etc.. Works well 8) Also depends on the weight of ya truck and what you might get yourself into.. :lol: :lol: or out of.. :mrgreen: I'm all for over the top for stuff that potentially save ya life.. :shock: so bigger stronger for me.. Yet I still break it.. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Winch has the standard sized drum and is fitted to a Hilux so weight is around around the 2T mark. Don't want to put too much strain on the winch hence the reason for not having a crazy rope length.

I pulled 30m of old rope off which had a decent diameter I'd say around the 12mm mark.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 pm

I use 10mm Plasma on my toyota pto. Get on around 34-40 m.
My truck weighs over 2 1/2 T. Haven't broken a rope yet. Sheared a few std pins... but drilled out and now run bolts. 8)
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 am

buy a good quailty rope NOT a cheap one, they are the same size
but they are not the same .
i use Amsteel from Tony at ultra Ropes.
on my winch truck and it was the only rope that had a chance with my winch set up.

pay a bit more and you will be fine.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm

They are mostly advertised as "Dyneema" ropes with the SK75 specs. In theory, saying this would mean all ropes being sold are of that standard, and should have the same breaking loads etc.

I don't mind paying a bit more for good quality, but then there are the sellers who are blatantly asking way too much for the same product.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Return to “Tool Shed”