DIY fridge slide

NJV6
Hard Yaka

DIY fridge slide

Postby NJV6 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Has anyone here built their own fridge slide for the back of their wagon?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Clint
Hard Yaka

Re: DIY fridge slide

Postby Clint » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

I made a drawer for my 35L Engel earlier this year. Used a pair of 60kg full extension rails https://www.fullie.co.nz/collections/drawer-runners/products/700mm-60kg-ball-bearing-runner-1-x-set (Doh, sold out now) Made it so the alu drawer tray sits on it's base when retracted, means the action isn't super smooth initially but saves the slides from taking too much pain while bouncing around offroad. Pretty easy to make really & very nice to have while camping out of a SWB truck crammed with gear.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks Clint, mine is a 41 waeco so probably similar weight. What have you done for some locking mechanism to keep it open and closed? I am allergic to rattles!

You also mention it sits on its base, you mean the tray sits on the base of the drawers? I guess you need a base plate to help strengthen rather than rely on the hinges and slide tray to hold it together. I want to put two slides, a pull out table under the fridge that can pull out further. Not for a lot of weight of course.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 am

I should post pics but my free photo host site suddenly wanted US$400 so need to get another one set up...

Yep, the 2mm alu fridge drawer is about 120mm high & retracts back into a box, & it sits on the floor of the box when in. The box has cutouts at the inside end to vent the condenser etc. It helps that the box floor is a fairly smooth surface that the drawer slides easily on. It's also a pretty tight fit side to side so nothing rattles at all. There are some rubber bumpers at the back & a gate latch on the drawer front holds it in:

I don't have anything to hold the drawer open but haven't found it an issue so far. Wouldn't be hard to do with a different latch arrangement. Whatever you do make sure you can unlatch/latch & slide out/in with one hand as you'll often be holding something else at the time.

If you haven't seen it already there is a huge thread on ExPo with all sorts of commercial & DIY drawer setups, well worth a trawl through for ideas: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
KTM 640

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

Making any progress? I have now restored the pics in my thread detailing my fridge setup:

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2123&start=240#p462963

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
KTM 640

Return to “Tool Shed”