Certified Self Contained?

Epic
Driver/Navigator

Certified Self Contained?

Postby Epic » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 pm

I searched around for some chat about self contained trucks but couldn't find anything... I'm guessing its because no one wants to be 45° with a tank full of s**t in the back... but Its been a thought of mine for a while just to make parking up and sleeping a lot less of a hassle when closer to town.

Has any one built a certified self contained 4wd? I probably wouldn't use it but just curious to see if it's worth doing/possible for the self contained freedom spots?

A set up that's not too hard to remove could be a good idea if you know you want to camp in certain places during a trip.
91 GQ Safari - Short Wheel Base, Long Wishlist.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Certified Self Contained?

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am

Simple to do, my parents had a van before their motor home.

A tank for holding grey water from the sink, a chemical toilet.

Be no different for a 4wd.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 am

The requirements around the toilet would be challenging in the back of a truck:

A SUMMARY OF THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFIED SELF-CONTAINMENT
The Standard requires sanitary, safe installations:

Fresh water tanks: 4 L per person per day (12 L per person minimum); eg. 24 litres is required for 2 people for 3 days & 48 litres is required for 4 people for 3 days;
A sink: (via a smell trap/water trap connected to a water tight sealed waste water tank;
Grey/black waste water tank: 4 L per person per day (12 L per person minimum, vented and monitored if capacity is less than the fresh water tank);
Evacuation hose: (3 m for fitted tanks) or long enough to connect to a sealed portable tank;
Sealable refuse container (rubbish bin with a lid).
Toilet (portable or fixed): Minimum capacity 1 L per person per day (3 L net holding tank capacity per person minimum);
A portable toilet must be adequately restrained or secured when travelling. The portable toilet shall be usable within the motor caravan or caravan, including sufficient head and elbow room whenever required, even with the bed made up. Where permanent toilets are installed, this shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and comply with the sanitary requirements in section 3 of the Standard (plumbing requirements).

When these conditions are met, a portable toilet may be used externally e.g. within a toilet tent or awning, where it is appropriate and convenient to do so.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 am

Either the rules have changed or the 'usable inside' rule is ignored because they just used a portable toilet in a toilet tent and that passed certification.
It was secured for traveling.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Epic
Driver/Navigator

Postby Epic » Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am

Oh thanks wjw that's super helpful. yeah that toilet would be the tricky one.

I think the usable inside rule would be a challenge in a surf. I was thinking could make the the grey water tank go under the truck where the spare wheel usually goes on the ln130 surfs. But finding space for the toilet would be a difficult task unless you can somehow use the foot space in the rear seats.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Epic wrote:Oh thanks wjw that's super helpful. yeah that toilet would be the tricky one.

I think the usable inside rule would be a challenge in a surf. I was thinking could make the the grey water tank go under the truck where the spare wheel usually goes on the ln130 surfs. But finding space for the toilet would be a difficult task unless you can somehow use the foot space in the rear seats.

I think that may be a relatively recent change as I dont remember reading it when I was looking at this stuff 3ish years ago.
-----------------------

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Having said that the NZMCA guys are really helpful, would be worth giving them a call to get some advice.
-----------------------

Epic
Driver/Navigator

Postby Epic » Thu May 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Yeah that's true, I might call them once I have the rooftop tent with the awning below it installed. That might be just enough to tick the box on the removable/portable toilet as I see on the motor home association website some people have gotten away with having it set up in a tent/awning. Also more good news, my partner just alerted me that her uncle is a certified assessor so I'll track him down and update the thread once I do! He'll know if its doable in a Surf.

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Epic wrote:Yeah that's true, I might call them once I have the rooftop tent with the awning below it installed. That might be just enough to tick the box on the removable/portable toilet as I see on the motor home association website some people have gotten away with having it set up in a tent/awning. Also more good news, my partner just alerted me that her uncle is a certified assessor so I'll track him down and update the thread once I do! He'll know if its doable in a Surf.

I am a self containment officer. There was a change in rules earler this year. Now the toilet has to be usable at any time, including when the bed is made up. If you have a roof top tent it would be possable to self contain cert it, but it will take a bit of cunning. Currently NZMCA will not certify non members vehicles.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Can I book you in for certifying??

IMG_6552.JPG
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Return to “Tool Shed”