Welded on towbar?

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Welded on towbar?

Postby 3VILC » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Well the forum seems a bit quiet these days but surely a few of us are still lurking around in the shadows :lol:
Has anyone ever encountered a welded on towbar? I thought it would be a big no no, but it certainly looks professionally done and solid as f***. And looks like a handy surface to bolt recovery hooks onto
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Welded on towbar?

Postby tweake » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 am

i had a van many many years ago with a welded on towbar. failed wof. "wheres the cert?".
i never used it so i cut it off.
unless you have the paper work to go with it, your towbar, at least should be, a wof fail.
hence why everything is bolted on theses days.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I thought as much. Looks like it's been there for quite some time all the original books are there so maybe in amoungst that stuff if theres a cert. I assume the same would apply even if I were to hack the tongue off. I'd imagine doing more harm than good heatING it again trying to cut too close to the chassis. Only hasn't had a wof since Feb I think and clearly been welded on there way longer than that.
I doubt I'll use the tounge is probably going to hang on stuff but the bar itself is probably good protection for the fuel tank and a handy solid place near the chassis to bolt hooks. But I have a work ute with a towbar so doubt I'd ever use the V8 for towing anything lol
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Without the supporting document and possibly even a manufacturer/engineers tag stating load rating then i'd say its a no no, It'd be considered a modification to the frame requiring cert anyway
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm

That was my thought too I didn't think it had ever been legal. There was a heavy power cable hooked up there too like for electric brakes so it was obviously done to tow something with a bit of weight in it. Keep forgetting to grab the other folders out of it and see if there's anything in there even the original services are still in there so will see. I guess I could even be stuck in the same book even if I cut it off unless I managed to do it super tidy
Photo maybe here if google photo linking works:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4bBiZA3SD6qtRrTA6

Return to “Tool Shed”