Pursuit of low mount winch happiness

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Pursuit of low mount winch happiness

Postby 1kz_surf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 pm

We have all been there dreaming of line speed and all have little things we like to do to maintain the winch and to make it just that bit nicer to use

So as I set out on this journey here are some of the things I plan to do

Air free spool
Red winch ox motor
Measure the line speed before and after each mod
Measure current draw
The base winch is a runva evo 9500 lb
80:1 gearbox ratio
3 stage planetry gears
so far I have purchased the winch (minus motor)
Stripped assesed it
And currently as I am typing and eating dinner it's sitting in a bath if supercheaps finest degreaser

Here's some pics

The standard horrid smelling grease is so thick im prying gears off shafts it's so sticky !

And we wonder why they don't free spool nice ? Haha
Attachments
20180719_201303.jpg
20180719_195655.jpg
poor little suzuki :lol: :lol:

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Re: Pursuit of low mount winch happiness

Postby 1kz_surf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Sooooo

After tea I rinsed off the degreaser with hot water and flicked out all the grease from the housing the gears and the planatary plates

Cleaned the water off and re assembled and lightly greased the rotating parts and tho hear sets

Re assembled it all and used some 15/40 as lube

So from going to a struggle to free spool it by hand to using 2 fingers to spool it out

The plastic bushes on the ends of the housing want some lube so I threw some plastic spec lube on them .the seals onto the drum will get vasolined so keep them nice and fresh

I will do some research to find out what can be done with the brake inside the drum to make it happy and nice

Hope this helps someone with some problems or to gain some hp to a old gummed up winch

Greg
Attachments
20180719_215418.jpg
20180719_214515.jpg

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Postby 1kz_surf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Before and after pics

After looks like a crack but it's just a casting Mark scared me when I saw it
Attachments
20180719_195655.jpg
received_10211581975646806.jpeg

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:37 am

Keep the info coming. I have the Evo 9500 80:1 and am very happy with it out of the box, but, always need more and need to keep the speed up when heavily loaded.

Also keen to see how you set up your air free spool.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Postby 1kz_surf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 pm

're assembled it tonight fully and have been looking into winch rope for it a freind has got 55m of 8mm on a 9500q but it's chokka

Going to get 45m of 8mm and that should leave some room for bunching when pulling on a angle

Have seen a few pics of people pushing air into the winch gearbox to keep water out bit too sure on this idea as it's like having a bottle of oil in a leaky car just fix the leak ???

I'll get it all set up and submerge it and then strip it and look for any water in it

Un seized the grub screw that holds the winch cable / rope so that was a bonus !

Greg

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 pm

1kz_surf wrote:Have seen a few pics of people pushing air into the winch gearbox to keep water out

1kz_surf wrote:I'll get it all set up and submerge it and then strip it and look for any water in it

its more for when winch is hot and it goes into cold water, same as what you would do jumping into cold water, an instant suck in of air, but being under water it will suck I water.

just putting a breather on it with a hose up high somewhere should stop most of it.
Last edited by mudsurfv6 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Awesome! Very excited for this one! Have just purchased an EVO winch myself... had been toying with the idea of running a Goodwinch Turbo Box controller on it, which gives 24v while winching in, effectively doubling your line speed (I think). I wasn't sure how the Runva motor was going to cope with double the voltage through it, so was intending to install a Bowmotor 3 on it, which I know Goodwinch use with their boost box. In the end I used the money buying a new truck, so it's still sitting in the loft, waiting for me to decide which truck will get the winch haha. But I'm sure this thread will get me thinking again haha.

Couple quick q's, what is the benefit of the Red Ox motor? I presume it's more powerful? A
And did you buy the winch secondhand?

If you are trying to fit lots of rope on, you could fit a bit more buy using a non-EVO winch drum as they are slightly smaller.
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Postby 1kz_surf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Hey guys soo bit of a update for ya !
I have brought a air operates rotary actuator in other words a air powered motor that turns free spool for me !

I have some snaps of it and the part numbers incase anyone wants to do the same I brought mine second hand from a dude in the south

And cheers for the info on the drum I have a 9500q now that is sitting in the shed so I'll swap the drum over ...

The red winch ox motor is a lot more efficient when it comes to heat thermal efficient so when it's on a long pull it will deal with the heat a lot better as well as 24v-ing it they don't mind that abuse as much as many motors

Next big buy up is in batteries then cable for them I'll be running 2x big bastards will post pics when I get my arse into gear collecting them

Greg
Attachments
20180725_210910.jpg
20180725_210915.jpg
20180725_210927.jpg
20180726_194429.jpg
20180726_194449.jpg

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Postby 1kz_surf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Also another major thing to think of is recharging the batteries so far it's got a 110 amp altenator on it but I plan on upgrading that to something along the lines of 200 amp

Looking into this a few options are out there for charging at idle at around 150 amps but with a tight suzuki engine bay I feel this will be a squeeze getting a unit able to make that sort of amps in there but hey that's another story !

Feel free to comment or give your input as I'm leading still and would love any info I can get out of you guys as to what's been done and what's a no no haha

Greg

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Nice write up, I too have the freespool issue. I will pull mine and degrease it.

One thing I did is put an external regulator on the alternator. Most internal ones are very conservative. They will only go to 14.4v if even that, and then hit 13.4/13.7 for float . At this voltage the alternator is only putting out half the amps. I set mine to 15 volts for bulk and the amp output is nearly double (ie max on the alternator). Be careful you can fry alternators as some/most are not designed for hot running ie high load over long periods. The battery determines the voltage so having a regulator that allows the voltage to climb to 14.8/15 is giving you much better power to your batteries. When the battery voltage is down at 13/14 volts under load, my alternator is maxed out. I can also reset my external regulator back into bulk mode just before a hazard so that batteries are trying to get to 15 before an anticipated hazard and then while winching through it and after it. (bulk lasts 60mins I think, you tell by the voltage. absorption is 14.4volts and float 13.7). Works well for me, same system in our boat with 200amp alternator and 920 amp hours of batteries.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:55 am

when i did the twin alt set up on my old truck i wired the voltage sense wire to the furthermost point in the system which took into account the voltage drop to the back of the truck. (was about 1.4 volts)
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

1kz_surf
Hard Yaka

Postby 1kz_surf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 am

Wicked wicked when I find a altebatir that I can actually fit in there il run a older hilux style regulator (external )so I can adjust it .going to run the sense wire from my winch batteries also

Anyone have any hot tips I where to buy 70mm2 cable ?

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I believe industrial welding suppliers are generally about the cheapest place (local). I know that's where Dad got his 50mm2 cable from (can't remember which place sorry, can look into if you're interested). Otherwise I've heard of people importing it :roll:
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 pm

the likes of Maxx Tar electrical engineers in Tremaine ave palmy north for example, i was lucky and just happened to be in the right place at the right time at the scrap dealer when a pile of diesel electric locomotive cables came in, got 10 meters of 65?mm2 for scrap price
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Tool Shed”