fitting up boost/pyro gauge

dangerous
Hard Yaka

fitting up boost/pyro gauge

Postby dangerous » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Ok... I have on the way a boost meter and ETG for the old safari... any tips on fitting and whats too hot on the ETG as in what is the normal range ta?

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: fitting up boost/pyro gauge

Postby coxsy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 pm

anything over 550 c steel gets very soft after that ,
mine runs from 100 to 500c change down a gear or back off , the throttle to keep it down
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Drill & tap the exhaust manifold and install the EGT thermocouple before the turbo. Or find something that you can unmount from the manifold in order to save metal swarf from getting into the turbo when doing the job.

I installed mine on a metal plate which was blocking the old EGR pipes, and it was right before the turbo. This is on an old school 2.8L Daihatsu donk with iron block & head, but you may be able to find something similar with your engine.

As far as temps go, I'll back off throttle a bit when temps are reaching the 650 degree mark.

It's interesting to see how much the EGT will rise with a slight incline on the open road at 100kph, or with a headwind.

For example, on my way to work, at 100kph, the temp is around 450 degrees. On my way home, it's around 400 just because I'm ever so slightly increasing/decreasing altitude over the 20 km distance.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:34 pm

as above.
pre turbo is best otherwise your guessing at the temp drop caused by the turbo.
make sure the probe tip is in the center of the actual flow, especially if using an egr port. i had 100c difference with a longer tip sensor that got into the flow.
max temps depends a bit on engine. most factory turbo are ok up to 800c. however if your running say black top td42, it has lighter pistons so they tend to have a lower max temp.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm

cheers guys.. mines a silver top with a AXT garret, I have noticed a bung in the exit pipe from the turbo, what Im hearing is best to be pre turbo correct? as its cooler on the other side?
Kit arived today and quality looks good its one from https://www.autobox.com.au/ and bloody good service to
As far as the boost goes there is a pipe running from the post turbo pipe to manifold that heads to the diesel pump.. I can T into that aye?

Return to “Tool Shed”