Snorkelling

Conan
Hard Yaka

Snorkelling

Postby Conan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 pm

spring rivers have been getting a little to close for comfort up the bonnet going into macetown..... so

gonna fit a snorkel .............sorta

have the cap from an old truck down behind work so was thinking of saving a few hundy and just using piping etc from a plumber and heaps of selleys..

was gonna put a foam filter just behind entrance on cap for the dust etc
wondering if this will be sufficient

any feedback and ideas hugely appreciated before i cut that hole in the panels :)

thanks
conan

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:59 pm

I was supposed to be going into MaceTown last Sunday for a Central Otago 4WD club fundraiser, but the river levels were too high :( so we ended up in SKippers.

Re snorkels, I bought one for $315 Inc GST & Delivery (Trade) whats it going on? Best bet is to get some 3" exhaust tube and bend it to shape if your going to make your own. Then go to Wanaka Tractors or something similair cant think of who would have them in queenstown, but get yourself an Air Ram for the top. You'd dont actually need any extra filtration as long as your new snorkel will run through the current air filter.

Shout if you need more info...

Oh and on my old Series III I built a snorkel out of 3" drain pipe, a flexible hose, some hose clips and a 90 degree bend with fine gauze on the end...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:46 pm

fully man, wouldnt be going there at the moment either!!! lake rose 30cm in weekend and we got a nice lookin dump of the white stuff last night
:cry: only 6 weeks to late !

i think i have the air ram???? thats the last piece to the snorkel where it kinks, widens and takes in the air???

trying to avoid the $300 side of it :wink:
so the drain pipe was still sweet to use though? not on strength side i guess but weight and cost??

i gotta drive on gravel to the delta for the kawarau and shotover everyday , so pre filter at top would do no harm if i went that way???

conan

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:17 pm

Conan wrote:fully man, wouldnt be going there at the moment either!!! lake rose 30cm in weekend and we got a nice lookin dump of the white stuff last night
:cry: only 6 weeks to late !

i think i have the air ram???? thats the last piece to the snorkel where it kinks, widens and takes in the air???

Thats the one....

trying to avoid the $300 side of it :wink:
so the drain pipe was still sweet to use though? not on strength side i guess but weight and cost??

I took the drain pipe out of the bit behind the bonnet where the windscreen wipers mount, depends on space though. It will shatter if hit hard. Cost wise its dirt cheap.

i gotta drive on gravel to the delta for the kawarau and shotover everyday , so pre filter at top would do no harm if i went that way???

conan

When on those roads just turn it round or get some sponge soaked in oil and put that in.
-----------------------

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:44 am

thanks bill ,

will get on to that today hopefully.... works been a little quiet lately......
as long as it looks like im doing something "practical" :P . .

cheers

conan

Zukin
Hard Yaka

Postby Zukin » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:35 am

The drainpipe idea works ok, only problem is they are very easy to break :shock:
First branch you knock will smash it.
Better idea is exhaust tube, still relativley cheap to make
Best idea is to get a proper snorkel :wink:

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:58 pm

but proper snorkels are no fun

it is so much more satisfying making your own

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:32 pm

I've got to head over to Queenstown nextx week, so if you want you can take a look at my proper snorkel ;)
-----------------------

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:19 pm

cheers bill,

proper snorkel would probably over value my rolux :lol:

decided im gonna make one outta 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe, just to keep that fresh 87 look :P

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Cool, just make sure you measure up at least 3 times before you put holes in your bodywork... I know I always have... once the holes there you cant go back ;)

Dont have a confirmed day on Qtn yet as the dude who I was seeing on Tuesday is now coming over here.... but if you get stuck shout... ur only 45mins away ;)
-----------------------

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:18 am

:wink: hahahah i learnt that pretty quick in my job!!!
measure twice cut once!

will do i got your num

conan

Return to “Tool Shed”