OIL CATCH CAN for 80 VX 1HDT

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Re: OIL CATCH CAN for 80 VX 1HDT

Postby DaveM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 pm

UBZ wrote:Ask for advice on the internet and your going to get peoples opinions :lol: :lol:

there is no such thing as a sealed oil /air separator .
the Air has to go some where! either back into the intake or vented to atmosphere ... Other wise you will create excessive crank case pressure and blow out the front or rear end seals ....
Alot of people have had this issue when fitting cheap aftermarket catch cans to 1KZ engines , the volume of air flow through the separator is not sufficient causing to much back pressure in the crank case ....

Did you not read the above? He is after a SEALED unit, not an opinion on whether they exist or work. If you don't have one, don't reply! :mrgreen:

These units are quite popular with guys running Patrols in Oz, I've run the CKD brand and was going to get another, but may cancel my order, and try these instead.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-VENT-200 ... 664wt_1089

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 pm

the CKD where popular because they where an old stock model that was flicked off dirt cheap.

the provents are very good.
tho you can make your own easy enough. http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 2&p=296844

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I've come in late, but, i reckon get the pump timing set up with a dti and everything. people always do cambelts and shit and never set it up aside from lining up all the pulley marks. It can be a fair bit out just doing this. only my 2c though.

on the topic of catch cans. I can see the advantage of them, but atmospheric venting ones can be a pain, and fairly smelly at times.I've got a catch can on my scabby old peugeot that used to stink a fair bit on the old engine when you were stopped at the lights or whatever (it was a little tired but peugeots breath like a fat guy at a bacon buffet even when they're in good inc). I can only imagine a hot, high kays diesel on a hot day 4x4ing would be a bit fumey.
I'd perhaps be inclined to chuck something like this down the exhaust a bit
then hook a hose on top of the catch can where a 'filter' would usually go, and run it down. he exhaust would reate a venturi effect and put a small amount of vaccuum on the catch can system (so long as you had an exhaust with no back pressure) and drag all the fumes out.
and no chance of water back feeding into the system. Will probably do this to my pug if it's stinky with the new engine.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 pm

seen those on hot rods. they have a one way valve on them and use the exhaust pulses to suck out the blowby.
no idea how well it work work on a diesel, especially turbo diesel. you would also need a back up in case the system can't get rid of the blowby fast enough.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 pm

if you've built an exhaust that flows nicely it'll suck them out, and at idle it'll just toddle out under it's own 'power'.
shouldn't need a check valve in there on a diesel (again, it depends on no back pressure in the xhaust system) as there are no backfires like on a petrol engine. Even most petrol engines wouldn't be worried by running without a check valve.
when a turbo diesel is on boost, the exhaust gas velocty past the pipe entering the exhaust stream acts as a venturi (or just like extractors/header type exhaust manifolds on hotrods) drawing the fumes out.

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 am

UBZ wrote:Ask for advice on the internet and your going to get peoples opinions :lol: :lol:

there is no such thing as a sealed oil /air separator .
the Air has to go some where! either back into the intake or vented to atmosphere ... Other wise you will create excessive crank case pressure and blow out the front or rear end seals ....
Alot of people have had this issue when fitting cheap aftermarket catch cans to 1KZ engines , the volume of air flow through the separator is not sufficient causing to much back pressure in the crank case ....

I understand the consequences of asking questiosn on the internet, even more so 4wd forums where people tend to have stronger opinions, myself included, just tryingto keep it on topic not get into debates about other very debateable and quite interesting topics like

The thread is about catch cans, I want a sealed one. IE one that doesnt have a breather on the top.Two reasons, I hate the smell that somehow wofts inside, and two, I like to be able to drive through water an not be worried that a breather filter on a catch can is all thats stopping water get in post air filter pre turbo.....

Thanks to all those that have put up links or photos.
drinking hatorgade

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 am

I think you will find that if you simply asked for advice on a catch can, thats what you would have got. By mentioning the blue smoke being the reason for wanting one, those with knowledge and experience obviously thought they should let you know blue smoke is not caused by oil.

When it comes to the cans, while you can make one yourself, if you want something to do the job properly I'd buy one designed to seperate oil. Just my opinion, but after reading up, the likes of the provents, are designed to seperate 96% of the oil.

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:13 am

DaveM wrote:I think you will find that if you simply asked for advice on a catch can, thats what you would have got. By mentioning the blue smoke being the reason for wanting one, those with knowledge and experience obviously thought they should let you know blue smoke is not caused by oil.

When it comes to the cans, while you can make one yourself, if you want something to do the job properly I'd buy one designed to seperate oil. Just my opinion, but after reading up, the likes of the provents, are designed to seperate 96% of the oil.

Thanks for your 'advice', 'knowlegde' and 'experience' and 'obvious' conclusions - seemingly condescending as some may appear, has helped me into deciding which catch can to buy, which will reduce the blue smoke on my engine, as proven with the temporary coke bottle catch can.

I will be purchasing a moroso one this evening after work.
drinking hatorgade

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm

mumbls wrote:
DaveM wrote:I think you will find that if you simply asked for advice on a catch can, thats what you would have got. By mentioning the blue smoke being the reason for wanting one, those with knowledge and experience obviously thought they should let you know blue smoke is not caused by oil.

Thanks for your 'advice', 'knowlegde' and 'experience' and 'obvious' conclusions - seemingly condescending as some may appear, has helped me into deciding which catch can to buy, which will reduce the blue smoke on my engine, as proven with the temporary coke bottle catch can.

I will be purchasing a moroso one this evening after work.

I wasn't referring to myself when I commented on the knowledge and experience, but others who felt injectors were the problem. My injector recon helped only slightly so felt the problem wasn't fuelling, but am open to suggestions/advice from others with more knowledge on these things than me.
Be good hear feedback on the moroso, as others may look at them too if the results are good

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Did the Moroso Catch Can work out ok for the 1HDT?
"If it ain't V8, take it back"
Warning: Opinions and Expressions may offend.

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am

gary_in_nz wrote:Did the Moroso Catch Can work out ok for the 1HDT?

Works well, though is unnecessarily expensive, on subsequent vehicles I've jewed even on the hose into coke bottle an just run a hose down to the chassis rail. The $4500 on injectors / pump didn't do a lot either, to the idle / low speed smoke, i've accepted the old rig for what it is these days.
drinking hatorgade

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”