LD28 turbo

Xr246
Hard Yaka

LD28 turbo

Postby Xr246 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi

I've got a LD28 powered FJ40 I'm looking at putting a turbo on.
It's good to drive round town but open road driving and long trips with hills can be quite painful.

Ive done a lot of googling on this there r a lot of ppl asking questions but I haven't found any solid answers

I'm going to use the standard manifold and make a "J" pipe to the turbo. T Into the oil pressure sensor to get my oil feed and put the drain straight into sump. Use a factory intercooler off a vehicle that has the inlet and outlet on the same side since it's a non cross flow engine. 2 and a half inch exhaust should be enough?

I'm unsure of which turbo to use. I thought maybe a 1KZ or TD27 but they are 4 cyl engines.

Any one have any suggests for which turbo to use?
Or any thing else I need to know bout this conversion

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Re: LD28 turbo

Postby Mehrts » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Why is your thinking of 4 cylinders vs 6 cylinders going to affect a turbo? It doesn't care.

All engines stated are within 300cc of each other with regard to displacement, and will therefore produce roughly the same amount of exhaust gases per given RPM.

So in answer to your question, either of those turbos or a similar sized unit will be just fine.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:00 pm

you are on to it mate, you are on the right track.
The factory turbo cast manifolds are pretty (really) rare, so it's likely you'll have to fabricate. Not much room when the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the motor.
When you get it running, don't be afraid to get an EGT gauge, and put a AFR sensor up it(on the dyno be best) to make sure you get the right amount of fuel. I had a bad experience with my LD28T, snapped the crankshaft, towing up an incline, muddy, laden trailer.

olielux
Bush Crasher

Postby olielux » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Got an ld28 turbo in my kingswood that has the factory manifold but the oil line is of the pressure sensor as you plan to do and returns into the sump with a 2inch straight pipe exhaust which seems to be big enough but all together it makes an already good engine haul arse and sound great

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:28 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:you are on to it mate, you are on the right track.
The factory turbo cast manifolds are pretty (really) rare, so it's likely you'll have to fabricate. Not much room when the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the motor.
When you get it running, don't be afraid to get an EGT gauge, and put a AFR sensor up it(on the dyno be best) to make sure you get the right amount of fuel. I had a bad experience with my LD28T, snapped the crankshaft, towing up an incline, muddy, laden trailer.

I've heard that the L20ET manifold fit but number 6 piston gets hot and melts. Hopefully I can make a tidy j pipe to join the non turbo manifold to the turbo if not I'll make a custom manifold from steam pipe

What turbo did you use on urs? What do you think the cause of the crank snapping was? To much boost?
We're you using a factory turbo manifold or a custom?

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:30 pm

olielux wrote:Got an ld28 turbo in my kingswood that has the factory manifold but the oil line is of the pressure sensor as you plan to do and returns into the sump with a 2inch straight pipe exhaust which seems to be big enough but all together it makes an already good engine haul arse and sound great

Do you know what turbo is on it and how much boost you are running?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 pm

mine came with a smallish T04e Air Research from memory.
I had a factory turbo manifold.I don't know what caused it to snap the crank, but was told that crank snapping was often caused by detonation. While i know the causes of detonation in a petrol motor, I'm not so clear on a diesel motor, given the massive compression they use ,as i understand it, to actually cause detonation to ignite the fuel. So who knows? too much fuel? too little fuel? or was the engine putting out enough torque/power to find it easier to snap a crank than pull 4.0 ton of land rover and trailer and silage up a slushy incline? perhaps the wastegate got jammed shut and it was running big boost?
either of those turbos (1kz/TD27)will be mint on the ld28(IMHO)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:30 pm

wouldn't have been detonation. the timing would have been too far advanced causing ignition before 1 degree over TDC.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

olielux
Bush Crasher

Postby olielux » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm

the turbo I have just says Nissan motor on it and I believe its running 8 pound

I have a spare blown turbo but I am very reluctant to part with it

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Sounds good. Now to find a turbo

Any one got one suitable?

89lux
Hard Yaka

Postby 89lux » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:52 am

hey man where are you located? ive also got a ld28 powered fj40 and been looking at turboing it

Xr246
Hard Yaka

Postby Xr246 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey man I'm in christchurch, Where abouts are you?
just picked up a TD27 turbo today hopefully theres heaps of room to make a nice wee J pipe

89lux
Hard Yaka

Postby 89lux » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:15 pm

im in chch to. keep us updated with how it goes man

defender
Winch master

Postby defender » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:56 am

LD28 turbo land rover defender here,
just recently replaced the motor for another LD28 (managed to hydrolock it in some deep water)
i think I'm using the L20ET manifold and all i can find on the turbo is that its nissan, but mine is straight piped and Air/water inter cooled, happy with the power, just wouldnt recommend if you dont love the sound of your diesel (mines loud)

I'm running 8 psi with the waste gate off (thats all it will produce) so I'm thinking if i up the fuel it will in turn produce more exhaust gas and then in turn spin the turbo faster producing higher pressures ??
also what is the highest safe (long term) pressure to run at, and what would happen if i went above this (theoretically)
work hard play hard.
Defender 110, aftercooled LD28T

Bugly
Winch master

Postby Bugly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Defender,
I have an 88 Series IIA with an LD28 and looking to turbo. Any chance you can post photo's of your turbo layout? and assuming you did the conversion yourself what was the biggest challenges?
Cheers Bugly...

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 pm

I've got a modernish td04 off a 01 wrx that is quite responsive and only does about 200 something hp on a petrol . I was going to try it on my 5l at some stage .
I've got all the banjo bolts and you can get flanges from auto bend .
In chch . It's prolly worth 100

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”