td27 turbo upgrade

nissandatsun
Driver/Navigator

td27 turbo upgrade

Postby nissandatsun » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:08 pm

hi guys ive seen on here before that there is a model of garrett turbo that can handle 20+ pound that bolts onto a td27 but i cant find the post anywhere does anyone know? cheers
if its not broken your not trying hard enough

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Re: td27 turbo upgrade

Postby fh2014 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Its the turbo from r50 terranos or R20 intercooled mistrals. Supposedly ball bearing and much stonger than the hitachi turbo on the WD21 diesel. Yet to test this myself.

Intercooled electronic pumped diesel mistrals are '97 onward round headlight models. This turbo is particularly suited to if you are top mount intercooling (or are leaving crossover pipe) due to compressor housing exiting upward.

R50 96' onward terrano electronic pumped diesel turbo better suited to front mount intercooling due to compressor housing exiting downward or forward?.. maybe as they were front mount intercooled.

As far as i know both turbos are the same Garret GT2052 turbo on both of these trucks, just different compressor ins/outs. get whatever one suits.

The weaker unit is the hitachi HT12 on the WD21 terrano maybe because it has a ceramic exhaust wheel and non-ball (journal?) bearings and doesn't like 20 psi all day.

Hope this helps.

nissandatsun
Driver/Navigator

Re: td27 turbo upgrade

Postby nissandatsun » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:20 pm

fh2014 wrote:Its the turbo from r50 terranos or R20 intercooled mistrals. Supposedly ball bearing and much stonger than the hitachi turbo on the WD21 diesel. Yet to test this myself.

Intercooled electronic pumped diesel mistrals are '97 onward round headlight models. This turbo is particularly suited to if you are top mount intercooling (or are leaving crossover pipe) due to compressor housing exiting upward.

R50 96' onward terrano electronic pumped diesel turbo better suited to front mount intercooling due to compressor housing exiting downward or forward?.. maybe as they were front mount intercooled.

As far as i know both turbos are the same Garret GT2052 turbo on both of these trucks, just different compressor ins/outs. get whatever one suits.

The weaker unit is the hitachi HT12 on the WD21 terrano maybe because it has a ceramic exhaust wheel and non-ball (journal?) bearings and doesn't like 20 psi all day.

Hope this helps.

cool cheers mate thats precisely what I was after
if its not broken your not trying hard enough

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”