QD32 conversion

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

QD32 conversion

Postby Yacob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Browsed the forum quite a bit a searched the net but need some first hand comments from people who have done this conversion.

I have a RWD D21 Nissan Navara with a VG30e and manual 5 speed box.
Im wanting to fit a QD32 Turbo with 5 speed manual box.
Im doing this as i like my truck and want to use it for my new job but need to travel between 300 and 400 kilometers a week.
The VG30e is beautifull to drive but drinks petrol so much i would need a second job just to pay for it.

Information i require is...
Can i or should i use the TD27 turbo injector pump or should i or could i use the loom and ecu that come with the QD32 engine.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the above.

Was there a RWD gearbox availible for the QD32 that isnt the RWD boxes that came behind the TD27's in the D21 Navaras as they are made of cheese.
Or maybe there is a bellhousing that bolts to my VG30e box (big box) that will allow me to biolt up the QD32

Im wanting 150hp minimum as the VG30e is rated at this.
What turbo is a good turbo upgrade from the standard QD32 or shall i leave it as is.

Can get my hands on a QD32 from a D22 Terrano and also have a Mistral here for parts.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: QD32 conversion

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Yacob wrote:Browsed the forum quite a bit a searched the net but need some first hand comments from people who have done this conversion.

I have a RWD D21 Nissan Navara with a VG30e and manual 5 speed box.
Im wanting to fit a QD32 Turbo with 5 speed manual box.
Im doing this as i like my truck and want to use it for my new job but need to travel between 300 and 400 kilometers a week.
The VG30e is beautifull to drive but drinks petrol so much i would need a second job just to pay for it.

Information i require is...
Can i or should i use the TD27 turbo injector pump or should i or could i use the loom and ecu that come with the QD32 engine.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the above.

Was there a RWD gearbox availible for the QD32 that isnt the RWD boxes that came behind the TD27's in the D21 Navaras as they are made of cheese.
Or maybe there is a bellhousing that bolts to my VG30e box (big box) that will allow me to biolt up the QD32

Im wanting 150hp minimum as the VG30e is rated at this.
What turbo is a good turbo upgrade from the standard QD32 or shall i leave it as is.

Can get my hands on a QD32 from a D22 Terrano and also have a Mistral here for parts.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Dont ask for much do ya. lol

basically you want the later model D22 navara gearbox that had a td25/27/zd30/qd32 bolted to it.

if the QD32 was seen running before you brought it by all means use the ecu controlled pump as it is way more efficient, mine was clocking 8-900 kms on 60 litres before i went for a mechanical pump so i could turn the power up.
if you have any doubts about it use a td27 mechanical pump.

what year mistral do you have... as it's all interchangable and a modded TD27 will do just as well as the QD32 eti. if you are that way inclined to play around with go fast bits

you have to change your mind set about power figures, think torque not horsepower. my td27 makes max power at 3100 rpm but the torque curve is dropping away rapidly at this point, max torque is at 2500 rpm and will climb the mangaweka deviation in top gear at 110kph if you keep it in the sweet spot so doesnt even see 3000 rpm, no use going over say 2800.

the vg30 gearbox is not compatible with the td/qd/zd, not only is the input shaft not match(diesel flywheel clutch etc alot thicker and heavier leaving not enough room for the fork to travel) the gear ratios would make that aforemention sweet spot un-usable with a diesel as you'd be either to low in rpm or too high.

oh and the qd32 is 150hp standard. not bad for a 4 cylinder diesel really.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:12 pm

The ZD30 and TD/QD run the same bellhousing pattern ?

Those are some impressive kilometers on 60 liters.
How much did it change when going for a mechanical type pump ?

Im used to dealling with petrol engines hence why i quote hp not torque, lately ive been getting more interested in diesels since i purchased a a 2.8 turbo isuzu faster ute. Never owned a diesel turbo prior to this and it honks along!

Anyway.. back on topic.
If i can get the same sort of pwer out of a TD27 maybe i should just go for that, was only thinking of useing a QD32 because well its bigger.

The R50 terrano i have for parts has done 380000 ks but runs like a dream.
The mistral is a 1996 model with 180000ks and runs just as nice.

Looking at the injector pump in the R50 it seems to have a small bunch of wires comming out then heading back throufgh the firewall.
Anyone know if this loom is a seperte loom going to an ecu etc or is it integral with the rest of the vehicles wiring harness.

If the gearbox situation becomes to hard i would even consider an auto but thats another topic....

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for answering them.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm

fuel economy now sucks...literately...... 400kms max with a modded plunger,intercooled/water sprayer and garret turbo charger, but she's fun to drive, lethal in the wet with a shimmed up lsd at 24 odd psi. daily is 18 psi.

stock standard fresh of the sale yard i drove it to the nearest fuel station filled it to the brim and drove it till the fuel light came on(98 nissan mistral with the ETI computer controlled pump. )

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm

If you need help, here's your man.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44681

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:38 pm

I am lucky to get 400kms on a tank in my pig.

Diabolicus
Stropper

Postby Diabolicus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Yacob wrote:The ZD30 and TD/QD run the same bellhousing pattern ?

Im used to dealling with petrol engines hence why i quote hp not torque, lately ive been getting more interested in diesels since i purchased a a 2.8 turbo isuzu faster ute. Never owned a diesel turbo prior to this and it honks along!

Anyway.. back on topic.
If i can get the same sort of pwer out of a TD27 maybe i should just go for that, was only thinking of useing a QD32 because well its bigger.

Looking at the injector pump in the R50 it seems to have a small bunch of wires comming out then heading back throufgh the firewall.
Anyone know if this loom is a seperte loom going to an ecu etc or is it integral with the rest of the vehicles wiring harness.

If the gearbox situation becomes to hard i would even consider an auto but thats another topic....

You would probably be better off using a nonturbo engine as a base and modifying it from there. Internally they are very similar and can handle plenty of power. The n/a will come with an 11mm mechanical pump, compared to the td27ts 10mm. However I would recommend you get an aneroid top fitted.
Also the turbo qd32s have a 7 bolt crank and finding a suitable flywheel can be a mission. I made the mistake of using an eti engine in my build and had to machine about 15mm of meat off a zd30 flywheel to allow it to fit in the bellhousing.
Attachments
20151025_154519.jpg
Heres my twin charged nightmare

katipo
Driver/Navigator

Postby katipo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Diabolicus wrote:
Yacob wrote:The ZD30 and TD/QD run the same bellhousing pattern ?

Anyway.. back on topic.

You would probably be better off using a nonturbo engine as a base and modifying it from there. Internally they are very similar and can handle plenty of power. The n/a will come with an 11mm mechanical pump, compared to the td27ts 10mm. However I would recommend you get an aneroid top fitted.
Also the turbo qd32s have a 7 bolt crank and finding a suitable flywheel can be a mission. I made the mistake of using an eti engine in my build and had to machine about 15mm of meat off a zd30 flywheel to allow it to fit in the bellhousing.

Any more details on the twin charged setup?

Dodgysam
Driver/Navigator

Postby Dodgysam » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Ok so sorry for the thread dredge but I have questions.

So I have a qd32 na Navara and its woefully slow.
I have all the bits for Turboing it but I have 1 question.

What do I do re fuelling?
Will I need to do anything to the pump/ECU to get adequate fuel or will the ecu take care of it using its own sentient intelligence?

Ok so chances of anyone reading this is prolly less than 10% but thanks for any advice you have.

Cheers

Sam
Patience is not a virtue. Its a weakness!!!

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Non turbo will have mechanical fuel pump no ecu. In an ideal world fit an egt gauge and adjust fuel using that otherwise just half-1 turn on the fuel screw if running standard boost

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
the vg30 gearbox is not compatible with the td/qd/zd, not only is the input shaft not match(diesel flywheel clutch etc alot thicker and heavier leaving not enough room for the fork to travel) the gear ratios would make that aforemention sweet spot un-usable with a diesel as you'd be either to low in rpm or too high.

False on both counts.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
Crash bandicoot wrote:

False on both counts.

Enlighten us, oh wise one.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am

See Nissan's 'kaizen philosophy' - its the same gearbox rear case. If you really wanted to, you could take the rear case from a 300ZX, bolt on a TD27 bellhousing on one end and a Safari transfer case on the other, with a standard OEM adapter plate. The bitch of course is finding a TD27 bellhousing.

The V6 ratios are a good amount lower, in my opinion this helps as the TD27 is shithouse gutless at low rpms. Lower 1st and 2nd make this a bit more manageable. Ultimately direct injection is where I'm going though. Reverse is also lower in the V6 which is useful. To perform exceptionally offroad any vehicle needs very low gearing, and every little bit helps. As far as crusing at 100+ kph, if the gearbox/diff gearing setup means that you have to cruise at 90, who gives a dogs balls. That's a safer and more defensive max speed for a lifted 4x4 vehicle anyway.

That last bit may have been a bit ranty as I just realized that the OP is a 2wd vehicle. If so I apologise.

You know this. Just pick one thing and really zero in on that :wink:
Attachments
ratios.jpg
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 am

So that's an fs5r30a box too?
Attachments
15107690254441751677775.jpg
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”