TD42 RWD

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

TD42 RWD

Postby Yacob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Im contemplating fitting a TD42 into my Navara.
Questions i have is there a RWD gearbpx i can bolt to the TD42 ? Auto or Manual ?

Cheers

I have more questions aswell

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Re: TD42 RWD

Postby passengerpete » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Nissan Civilian bus is 2wd ya can get 4wd but Hader to find

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm

ya could mess around with a vh45 auto swop casings around.
its a long engine ya might need to move radiator too. and heavy out of interest is there a reason for putting a td in a navara ? as ya may be slower then a stock yd25t

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Sorry to put the brakes on your frankienstien idea but it just won't work.

1: the td42 block will go from the radiator support to the faceplate on your stereo on the dash( or there abouts) and
2 wieghs all of twice that of a zd30 and a third more then a td27.
Then there is The gearbox that goes behind them...after all they are a truck engine so you'll be chopping and enlarging the tunnel and the gearshift will be back by your seatbelt clips.

Oh that was 3....

4, the chassis and front suspension and steering just won't handle that sort of weight.. Its bad enough the steering is weak as cheese.

Your best bet is a rd28 or rb30 and skyline bell housing onto the navara box.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Oh...and unless its aircooled I didn't factor the radiator into that so there's another 70mm without fans.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm

I did have a good look round the net but didnt find much info.
Read somewhere that a skyline, laural, vh45 trans as mentioned above will bolt up to an auto bellhousing.
Ideally i would like a manual. I would be building the vehicle mainly for towing purposes.

If i went the auto route im unsure how " electronic" these transmissions are. Obviously the more simpler the transmission is the better.
If i bolted one up dors it need any electronic to operate ?

If i went manual i do have a 300zx box here but unsure how the gear ratios would work with a diesel.
Lots of uncharted territory here.

I should also mention my terrano is a D21 shape.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Reason for a TD42 transplant over anything else is it will be a cool conversion and a bit of fun to drive.
I travel between 400 and 700 kilometers each week for work, often towing a car transporter.
So fuel consumption is important.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:10 pm

buy a safari for towing mate you wont fit that thing in there unless you want it hanging over the front bumper :D

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Im really just needing information on the gearbox side of things, not interested in peoples opinions on mounting the engine or what other cars i should buy etc. no offence.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 pm

as already said a Nissan bus box will bolt straight up to the td42 :D if you make up an adaptor plate there is endless choices of gearboxes you can hang off the back of the bellhousing

how are you planning on getting the overlength drivetrain to fit in that thing :D

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Im not sure how easy it will be to find an auto bus box but from what ive been told boxes such as skyline, laurel and 300zx will fit the auto bellhousing but im wanting to know if they need electronics to work correctly.

I can fit up a manual box such as a 300zx manual box but unsure how the gear ratios will work seeing as its off a high reving petrol engine.
Or maybe it wont matter ?

I will simple move the firewall back to accomodate the longer engine.
Thats the easy part.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:02 pm

For arguments sake. lets say the TD42 did fit. :shock:

you will need a gearbox with the following code on it FS5R30A also know as the nissan Big box found in D22 navara's GTS-25T skylines GTS-4 Skylines and GTR's(patrols safaris y60...but you only want the bell housing off the y60)

For this i'd say go with the GTS-25T to not have the hassle of dealing with the transfer case as the rest are all 4wd. then change the front casting to that of a TD.

or an auto trans with the code RE4R03A which an be found in pretty much anything that is rear wheel or 4 wheel drive made by nissan between 1987 and 2004 with a longitudinal engine layout.

this is slightly easier option due to interchangeability between tail end and bellhousing...just not the v6 ones..the front half is one casting as apposed to the TD/QD/RB/RD having a seperate bell housing.

now if that looks like its getting thrown in the too hard basket the other option is to use a Naturally aspirated QD32 engine which will bolt to the navara's gearbox. then just use TD27-T exhuast manifold. after market turbo charger and intercooler, dial the injector pump into the sweet spot and you be stacking up more torques then a TD42 anyway due to the QD's later/better designed (ports flow thermo dynamics and all that technical stuff that makes diesel and air burn better) cylinder head.

Not only that. it will fit in the navara's engine bay..will bolt to your existing gearbox and engine mounts. who new :roll:
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks for the in depth reply mr crash.

Whats makes it more interesting is its getting a terrano body shell.

I am still looking down the path of a manual box but it will depend on where the gear shift will poke out. I dont want to be changing gears from the back seat

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 am

Also the QD option had crossed my mind but i like a challenge.
Its what gets me out of bed in th morning.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:21 am

FYI only the front three body mounts are the same between terrano and navara. (B pillar)

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:52 pm

are you going to leave the side of the firewall in place for the pedal box and steering column and bring the back of the engine into the cab do you think it'll fit with the seats and front cabin area, have you done the lvvta research to see how they'll want it done to pass it :idea: big project you've got going there mate :D

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Im hoping to leave the part where the pedals are in place and just move the area that the engine will produde into. I may yet be forced into going auto as there may not be room in the footwell for all the pedals.
I had a quick measure up today and the TD42 is 800mm long from front pulley to where the bellhousing bolts up.
I have a 300zx gearbox here and its 770mm from the gearshifter to the front of the bellhousing.
Leaving myself 90mm for a radiator that puts the gear selector 200mm back from where it would normally come out of the tunnel.
200mm is acceptable but means ill need to relocate the hand brake lever back aswell.
I may try fitting a dash mounted hand brake as they had in the pre facelift D21 navaras but again this posses problems as the cable comes through the firewall where it needs to be cut away to fit the longer motor.

The auto option is looking like an easier path but i wont give up just yet on the idea of a manual.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Have been in contact with the LVVTA and its all common sense stuff i need to follow.
I own the hobby car manual aswell. Good to have one if you dont allready if your into doing this sort of stuff.

Once finished it will need to pass a brake test.
Im upgrading the navara discs and calipers to the larger type that come standard on the navaras.
May look at fitting some 4 pots off a 300zx of similar aswell. But i dont think its nesseary, time will tell.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:56 pm

will your body fit on a auto saf chassis mate it'll already have the drive train sitting in the chassis with the right engine, trans, diffs, driveshafts, suspension and brakes all ready to go you'll only have to mess about with body mounts, firewall chop, steering linkage and a few wires to get it to go

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:33 pm

derk wrote:will your body fit on a auto saf chassis mate it'll already have the drive train sitting in the chassis with the right engine, trans, diffs, driveshafts, suspension and brakes all ready to go you'll only have to mess about with body mounts, firewall chop, steering linkage and a few wires to get it to go

Yeah mate thats the ticket :D
Get the narava look with saf strenght :twisted:
Cant go to mych wrong with this idea 8)

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:07 pm

I want it to sit as low as possible with half decent driveability.
Dont want 4wd either.
Im sure sure the safari/ patrol is much wider than the terrano aswell.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:17 pm

having the shifter 200mm rearwards is a long way. This MAY be acceptable if you choose the auto, but will be a right ( recurring) royal pain if you have to row a manual box.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:23 pm

There's misinformation in this thread.

The cast iron FS5R50A manual gearbox was only ever fitted to one vehicle mentioned in this thread: Patrol/Safari and would be the only suitable/strong enough manual gearbox behind the TD42. As said, Nissan Civilian 2wd gearbox is the same and would be the best option for a manual.

The FS5R30A is the 'big box' that Crash is talking about and was never fitted behind the TD42, because its not strong enough. It was fitted to all the 6-cylinder cars including he Skylines mentioned, GTR and 300ZX, V6 Pathfinder, also D22 Navara. So, you actually already have a 'big box,' but not one that would suit a TD42.Its the biggest box they made before you get into the commercial duty - ie the TD42 gearbox.

This is my one:

And whatever you do, don't bolt a QD32T onto your standard D21 Navara manual gearbox, it wont end well
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 pm

they wouldn't take the power from a TD42...but will take the power from a 1000 hp RB30dett...
but i guess nissan never invisioned people bolting giant turbos and garden hose injectors and running 30-40 psi through what was originally meant to be a 2.4 litre single cam sohc L6 JTCC engine.

and sorry bout that...30A/50A.... glad lax knows it his backside after a 8 hour flight sittin on ya wallet to tokyo.......was 11 at night and been up since 3am cheers for the correction.... :mrgreen:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Never know whats going on in someones life. Anyway about the gearboxes, it gets confusing because you have said before that they are all the same gearbox internals, which means we're all running around with Patrol gearboxes behind TD27s

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45863&p=456831#p456831

So you're saying the only difference between the TD42 gearbox (code r50) and the 300ZX (code r30) gearbox (other than ratios of course) is the iron case?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/a ... -4027.html
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:they wouldn't take the power from a TD42...but will take the power from a 1000 hp RB30dett...
but i guess nissan never invisioned people bolting giant turbos and garden hose injectors and running 30-40 psi through what was originally meant to be a 2.4 litre single cam sohc L6 JTCC engine.

and sorry bout that...30A/50A.... glad lax knows it his backside after a 8 hour flight sittin on ya wallet to tokyo.......was 11 at night and been up since 3am cheers for the correction.... :mrgreen:

Interesting thought.
Surely the FS5R30A would handle the power of a low boosted turbo TD42 that im planning on using.
Remembering its a RWD vehicle with tyres no wider than 225 and will weight considerably less than a Safari/ Patrol.
Id iimagine the tyres would break traction before anything broke.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Ive never seen a civilian manual transmission befor but after doing some google searches it looks as though the shifter is very close to the flywheel ? Maybe im not looking at the correct pictures.

Ill get my take measure out again tommorow to see how things will fit.
The shifter position is a concern.
I really dont want to go auto if i can avoid it.

Yacob
Driver/Navigator

Postby Yacob » Sun May 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Been pulling my hair out today trying to work out how everything will fit. Im lucky to have lots of stuff lying around to measure etc.

As much as i hate it i think im going to have to go auto for this conversion.

Due to where the twin oil filters attach to the right hand rear of the TD42 and the fact i have to cut the firewall back means theres no room for a clutch pedal.
Sure i could put remote oil filters on but the back of the block is still too wide.

Also getting a manual box to have the shifter in a good location isnt helping either.
If the gear lever has to move back then so does the handbrake.

I found myself a complete running Patrol today thats has an auto transmission.
I only want it for the auto bell-housing and/or auto transmission if i can find a tail shaft that will replace the transfer box ? Can this be done ?

Ideas please.
Also does anyone want the rest of the Patrol ? or can supply me the bits i need ?

bombaybasher
Bush Crasher

Postby bombaybasher » Sun May 01, 2016 8:12 pm

Id say to hell with it and go the whole hog and get a mercruiser big block and mount it up, I remember trying to lift one of those onto a dyno with a 1000kg crane and it struggled- you got best of both worlds - no power terrible fuel consumption and it is like a giant boat anchor

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 pm

What about an isuzu 4bd1t?
Discovery 4bd1t project

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”