TD27T into Land rover series, has anyone done it?

Bugly
Winch master

TD27T into Land rover series, has anyone done it?

Postby Bugly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to install a TD27T into a land rover series 2A, has anyone here done such a conversion and if so any tips?
I am gonna swap out an LD28 for the TD27T, don't want to turbo the LD28.

Cheers Bugly...

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Re: TD27T into Land rover series, has anyone done it?

Postby nickmcdonald » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:28 am

LD28's are 6 cylinder correct? I'd imagine going to a 4 cylinder it'd free up a bit of room long ways.....not sure how the width or depth compares though. I'd imagine you'd have to fab up all of the mounting hardware, as nothing would exist off the shelf. I reckon just hang the new motor in the hole, see where things touch and start formulating a plan from there, as you'll be one of the very few to attempt / do this swap! :wink:

naffa88
Stropper

Postby naffa88 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm

I haven't finished a conversion but have started one in a SIIa.{its a very long term project} The TD27t is sitting in the chassis with the bulkhead, front panel with radiator and guards in position. I am trying to keep the chassis original so have fabricated some engine mounts to bolt to the engine which will use the original chassis mounts. I have also got a Nissan atlas gearbox in there and have made an adaptor to the Landy transfer case. The transfer case is in the original position to keep driveshafts original. The engine is sitting forward so that the fan and fan hub assembly will have to be removed and an electric fan fitted. The turbo also interfered with the bulkhead so I removed the exhaust manifold, made some adaptors and refitted the manifold upside down. This moved the turbo from the No.3 cyclinder to No. 2 cyclinder area. The turbo dump pipe is still close to the bulkhead. This also means that the alternator has to move forward. I'm planning to use an alternator without a vacume pump, a single belt pulley and align it with the front pulley on the crank. The sump on the TD27t that I have also interfers with the front drive shaft so will have to be changed. I think the Nissan Atlas sump might work. Currently trying to get the gear lever assembly to work under the original gearbox tunnel. (its pretty tight). I've heard of other Landys with TD27 fitted but not with turbo.
What gearbox and axle assembly are you planning to use?

quattro
Bush Crasher

Postby quattro » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Would be easier to fit a 200tdi engine
Discovery 4bd1t project

Bugly
Winch master

Postby Bugly » Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 pm

naffa88 wrote:I haven't finished a conversion but have started one in a SIIa.{its a very long term project} The TD27t is sitting in the chassis with the bulkhead, front panel with radiator and guards in position. I am trying to keep the chassis original so have fabricated some engine mounts to bolt to the engine which will use the original chassis mounts. I have also got a Nissan atlas gearbox in there and have made an adaptor to the Landy transfer case. The transfer case is in the original position to keep driveshafts original. The engine is sitting forward so that the fan and fan hub assembly will have to be removed and an electric fan fitted. The turbo also interfered with the bulkhead so I removed the exhaust manifold, made some adaptors and refitted the manifold upside down. This moved the turbo from the No.3 cyclinder to No. 2 cyclinder area. The turbo dump pipe is still close to the bulkhead. This also means that the alternator has to move forward. I'm planning to use an alternator without a vacume pump, a single belt pulley and align it with the front pulley on the crank. The sump on the TD27t that I have also interfers with the front drive shaft so will have to be changed. I think the Nissan Atlas sump might work. Currently trying to get the gear lever assembly to work under the original gearbox tunnel. (its pretty tight). I've heard of other Landys with TD27 fitted but not with turbo.
What gearbox and axle assembly are you planning to use?

My machine has a gutless LD28 mated to an Atlas 5 speed gearbox. The bellhouse has been shortened with some chunky aluminium adapter plates welded. I looked at a TD27T cheap as chips and good condition but the oil pan as you stated can't fit due to propshaft. I am looking at different oil pan configs but from your description it sounds like Turbo piping too close to firewall. How far away are you from a test drive?

What part of the country are you in I am Wellington, would be interested is seeing your project.

Cheers Bugly

naffa88
Stropper

Postby naffa88 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:08 am

This is very long term project so I am a long way from a test drive.
I am in Hamilton.
What sort of adaptor have you got from your gearbox to transfer box? and is your transfer box in its original position?
Does the gear lever select the gears in the normal positions? I have seen an atlas box conversion where 1st is across and back instead of forward.
Even though the LD28 is gutless what does the Landy drive like gearing wise compared to a Landy gearbox? (is it road legal?)

Bugly
Winch master

Postby Bugly » Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 pm

I had the gearbox rebuilt along with an overhaul on the transfer case. The adapter to transfer case has been bespoke cast by previous owner. It's a standard 1st gear top left, 5th top right and reverse bottom right. Re mounts they look like the standard position.
I have had everything certified including disc brakes on the front. PM me and I can flick some photos.

On the flat can get it to 90ish, head wind slows, up incline crawls. Comfortable crusing is 80 on the flat.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”