350 Chev experts!

chevrolux
Hard Yaka

350 Chev experts!

Postby chevrolux » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi all. Wanting to sort out my engine. At the moment its a 350 that sounds cool but doesn't run that well. Not looking for big power but wouldn't mind a few more horses :D . I'm just thinking a hotter cam, a new carb (currently running an old looking 4 barrel thing), msd ignition and then get it properly tuned. questions are what cam and what carb?!? then does anyone know some one palmy that has worked on a few of these? kruzin kustoms and hot rod heaven are the ones that come to mind but im sure there will be some mechanic who knows these engines inside out and could point me in the right direction.

skid
Tyre Man

Re: 350 Chev experts!

Postby skid » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 pm

I would say that most mechanics would know a dirty ol tree fiddy inside out

ask around or wait long enough on here and someone will let ya know whos good and whos not :wink:

otherwise, I have heard that Roskilda isn't too bad :?: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 pm

chevrolux wrote: Wanting to sort out my engine. At the moment its a 350 that sounds cool but doesn't run that well.

If its not running that well you might want to start with bit of basic maintence and a tune before you throw a grand at a new carb and cam for it? Try giving the carb a good clean and new gaskets, sparkplugs, check leads, timing, exhaust/inlet leaks etc :mrgreen:

safaripete
Hard Yaka

Postby safaripete » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 pm

i gave my 350 a good tune up (new leads plugs timing etc) and it runs a whole lot better

you can bring it round sometime and go over it if you like

Lynx
Hard Yaka

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Leads, plugs, carb clean, fuel filter. Do the basics then get it a tune, dont throw away money at a cam and a carb yet.

Cheers Daniel

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Leads, plugs, carb clean, fuel filter. Do the basics then get it a tune,
don't forget PCV on tappet cover as these are prone to clogging up and are often over looked. Tune ign timing by vacuum gauge as the harmonic balancer with the timing marks may have moved giving you a false timing light reading as the are getting to be an old motor now.check fuel pressure, if its a Holley carb then no more than 7 lbs pressure but better at 3 to 5 lbs. Fuel bowl heights are important on any carb.
just a few small jobs can collectively make a hell of a difference
cheers
PS vacuum gauge can indicate the cam ( valve ) condition

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 am

Take it to marty jones, he is cheap and knows what he is doing :wink:
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

chevrolux
Hard Yaka

Postby chevrolux » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

cheers boys! yea was gonna go over all the plugs and leads and stuff and give the carb a good going over. where is marty jones?

Dannz71
Hard Yaka

Postby Dannz71 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:25 pm

DJ wrote:don't forget PCV on tappet cover as these are prone to clogging up and are often over looked. Tune ign timing by vacuum gauge as the harmonic balancer with the timing marks may have moved giving you a false timing light reading as the are getting to be an old motor now.check fuel pressure, if its a Holley carb then no more than 7 lbs pressure but better at 3 to 5 lbs. Fuel bowl heights are important on any carb.
cheers

gday just wondering about how to time a 350 with a vac guage?
and how to find out more about checking your cam with a vac guage too
cheers

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Dannz71 wrote:
DJ wrote:don't forget PCV on tappet cover as these are prone to clogging up and are often over looked. Tune ign timing by vacuum gauge as the harmonic balancer with the timing marks may have moved giving you a false timing light reading as the are getting to be an old motor now.check fuel pressure, if its a Holley carb then no more than 7 lbs pressure but better at 3 to 5 lbs. Fuel bowl heights are important on any carb.
cheers

gday just wondering about how to time a 350 with a vac guage?
and how to find out more about checking your cam with a vac guage too
cheers

attach vac gauge to carburetor or a port that gives vac at idle, advance or retard the ign timing till you get max vac, then retard timing by 1" vac, and lock off.

pedro

Pedro

Dannz71
Hard Yaka

Postby Dannz71 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am

oh cheers
ya really do learn something new every day

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow you do indeed :P I know of using a vacuum gauge to check timing amoung other things (my old man used to have an old Gunsons one that was even labeled with common faults on the scale). But had never actually thought of setting the timing by vacuum. I've always done it by ear when I don't have a light handy
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 pm

If you are going to set timing by vacuum only, then by all means follow this method

Pedro wrote:\
attach vac gauge to carburetor or a port that gives vac at idle, advance or retard the ign timing till you get max vac, then retard timing by 1" vac, and lock off.

BUT do it at 2500-3000rpm with your vacuum advance can disconnected, as all your mechanical advance should be in play by these RPMs. And listen very carefully for knocking afterwards, particularly under load.

If it is a motor you want to last then invest in a timing light as knocking can be inaudible especially in a rattly 4x4 with a loud V8.

I would thoroughly recommend the following page for anyone new to playing with timing on a SBC as there is a bit more to it than setting idle advance and calling it good.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Hot_rodding_the_HEI_distributor

redz driver
Hard Yaka

Postby redz driver » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Yip like the others have said to do the basics but include a compression test wet and dry and a leak down test on each cylinder as well just to get an idea whats going on inside
Real men drive swb leaf spring trucks

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 am

I agree get a decent tune.
If you still want more look at the whole package ie the right carb on the right manifold, headers that suit your purpose etc

No point running mis-matched components and suffering a compromise for the sake of a few hundy as 350 bits are common as.
I assume a torque monster is what you want rather than dialing 9k on the tach?

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”