Anyone used K&N air filters off road?

vitz
Bush Crasher

Anyone used K&N air filters off road?

Postby vitz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 am

As the title says.

Anyone tried K&N airfilters off road?
I know they are meant to give small hp increases but how are they for filtering sand etc....

Edit. just saw a very similar post in diesel mods.
1994 LWB 1.6 16v Vitara

quick6
Driver/Navigator

Re: Anyone used K&N air filters off road?

Postby quick6 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

As per the thread in diesel, best avoided. I have had them in various road cars over the years and my current Hilux came with one, all have ended up with fine particles stuck to the inside of the inlet pipe. My current Safari came with an oiled foam unit, it doesnt seem to catch anything smaller than about bee size so don't bother with one of those either. A factory paper filter changed regularly is cheap, will keep the air clean and not hinder performance in my opinion.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Re: Anyone used K&N air filters off road?

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:57 am

I have in my diesel . Never had any issues. 200000+ k's on it since I've owned it, and most of those with a k&n in it.
These guys seem to be ok http://www.kchilites.com/kcblog/the-kc- ... s-to-reno/ for example...dunno if you plan to find anything dustier tho :lol:

I changed mine because everytime I got water in the airbox it would cut out with the stock paper filter, you'd have to take it out and either blow it out or run without it 'till I could get another. Not cool.

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”