Fuel return line plumbing

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Fuel return line plumbing

Postby Weeds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi all

I finely bit the bullet and had a bigger fuel tank with storage box on top made for my trial/bush truck fed up with having know where to put strops and a small fuel tank the problem being in all my excitment I forgot to mention I needed a return line back in to my tank so need some advise

Can I simply put a tee in the pick up line from the tank before the pump and feed it back in there ?

What would hapen if I had a tee on my Breather ?

Or do I need to pull it all out and weld on a nipple on the tank
Carnt seam to figure out photos

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Fuel return line plumbing

Postby Big » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Most factory tanks have separate returns line.. SO I'd most likely say you need to take it out and have one put in then no further problems down the road.. Messing with the intake side could end up being a nightmare.. My 2c worth..

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:13 pm

if your fuel injected the pump will be moving a shitload of pressurised fuel so you'll need it going back into the tank not the breather or feed line, if your cell or tank has a filler neck you could tee it into that, need to make sure you've got a adequate breather on the cell/tank if your using an efi pump :D

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:25 pm

the problem with tapping into the breather is it can blow fuel out the breather as air goes out.
tapping the pick up line before the pump has the problem of any air in the line stays there until it goes through the injectors.

the return really needs to go back to tank, preferable to the fuel pot inside the tank.

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks I thought as much pulled tank out will drop off tomorrow to have inlet welded on.
What's a fuel pot ?

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Weeds wrote:Thanks I thought as much pulled tank out will drop off tomorrow to have inlet welded on.
What's a fuel pot ?

not sure what the proper term is. just a can or pot at the very bottom of the tank that the fuel drains down into. holds fuel in and stops it sloshing away from the pick up.
you could get fancy and put flaps on it like they do with engine sumps.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 am

I've always called them pickup traps.... but this could also be wrong lol it is where the pick up point sits, the idea is it creates an area that traps a small amount of fuel every time you slosh the tank.... so you have fuel even if you nose up a steep hill or sit on a sidling
The easiest way is just a spiral of sheet metal around the pickup and sealed to the bottom of the tank... when your flat the fuel can flow round the spiral gap, when you tilt the tank this raises one part of the passage closing it

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”