New toy, 89 Rugger

JRDO
Winch master

New toy, 89 Rugger

Postby JRDO » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:17 pm

So, new member and all, got this (1989 F70 DL-51) around easter and this sites been really good so far but I've reached a point where I figured I should stop lurking and sign up!

Based in Chch and it's just to get me to hunting spots really so it probably won't get heaps done to it.

Spent about a day under it with degreaser and a water blaster to start with then replaced the fluids, belts, brakes.

Found the timing belt cover has a hole in it so haven't changed the timing belt yet want to replace or repair at the same time.

Gear box and tranfer case had a fair amount of metal shavings on the drain plugs and it has the second gear issue, not entirely sure about what I can do here. Would like to find a second hand one to rebuild prior to this one giving up but not even sure if you can get parts to rebuild.

Snorkel kit to fit it seemed to be non-existant so did one myself. Re-piped the diff breathers. Planning on putting a new exhaust on and have some half worn kl-71s in the same size for now until I decide what I'll do suspension wise.

Would like to be able to lock a diff for those tricky spots but like the snorkel doesn't seem I've got many options!
Attachments
P1080520.JPG

tuk
Hard Yaka

Re: New toy, 89 Rugger

Postby tuk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

Hi
Mine also had a hole in the timing cover behind the main pully, didnt notice it untill it snapped the belt from mud getting in. Belts expensive here so got one off ebay, landed on my door for 50 odd buks. put a little spacer infront of cover to stop it doing it again. I tried everywhere to find a cover but all the wreckers i tried had the same hole in the cover. I got epoxy resign and filled it over and worked.
http://www.warfs.org/
try this site for a possible option for a locker but not too sure for new zealand, i locked mine the old fashion way with some weld on the spiders.
parts are usually hard to find so if you come across any at a good price - grab them.
Couldnt find a replacement motor at a resonable cost for mine so doing a holden v6 conversion on it.
I only have a beat up mud hack tho....
cheers
Attachments
breakwater2.jpg

Return to “Daihatsu”