good quality tow hooks

T-Boon
Hard Yaka

Re: good quality tow hooks

Postby T-Boon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:02 am

well, ya should have punched him in the c*nt!

:mrgreen: :twisted:
Last edited by T-Boon on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Boon or not to Boon.

85BJ73
Hard Yaka

Postby 85BJ73 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:27 pm

There are some weird ideas out there.......(generally) a cap bolt has a higher tensile strength than a bolt, depending on bolts rating, and I cannot immediately remember the highest bolt rating off the top of my head, also, the strength of the nut does not depend on how much thread protrudes through it, as long as the thread reaches the other side of the nut, as in, it can be flush with the nut surface.....but a cap bolt does not have the same shear strength as a low rated bolt...I found that out the hard way!! Funny how those with a clipboard may not know anything about what the are inspecting, but get to have the final, (and sometimes incorrect) say.
No matter the problem, the answer is always give it more gas.......
Modded 1985 Landcruiser, semi restrained nutter behind wheel.

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:45 pm

85BJ73 wrote:There are some weird ideas out there.......(generally) a cap bolt has a higher tensile strength than a bolt, depending on bolts rating, and I cannot immediately remember the highest bolt rating off the top of my head,

Hardest hex bolts I've found are 10.9's. Most metric cap screws are 12.9 or 14.9 in smaller sizes.

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 pm

I agree with Fitzy. There are too many people with clip boards that know stuff all.

Most Japanese come out with Grade 7 bolts . The nearest equal here are the 8.8 metric or 5 imperial .

Going beyond these only gives a person a false sense of security because either the rope or tow hook becomes the weak link.

In my personal opinion ,the main thing is ,there needs to be more education into what is the best and safest recovery method. As far as I am concerned a snatch tow should be well down the list.

I know of a Toyata 70series landcruiser stuck in BIg River. To recover this truck bogged down ,the ones on the trip ended up hooking 5 trucks to the cruiser before it moved.

What kind of bolts, hooks and rope is expected to stand up to that treatment. Straight out dangerous in my opinion.

I think it is too easy to get bogged down in red tape when all it takes is common sense.

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:12 pm

yes seen people try to strop stuck trucks out when a well sorted winch would be safer and less strain on everthing and everybody
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “4wd Safety”