putting additional seats in a surf (7 seater surf)

stealth
Hard Yaka

putting additional seats in a surf (7 seater surf)

Postby stealth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 am

I have been looking for a 7 seater and have found a few but most up north, recently my parents said they can hook me up there 96 surf for mates rates im wondering how hard it is to put additional seats in the rear, i realise i will have to get it certified etc, just wondering if anyone has done it before and whether is was worth the time and effort over say just buying a safari or cruiser?

any thoughts ideas/pitfalls welcome.

Cheers

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: putting additional seats in a surf (7 seater surf)

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:57 pm

depends on the circumstance.....

me mate has a 4 door safari with 7 seats and quite frankly you have three options....two kids in the rear seat....No room in via the back door, or just have 5 seats and be done with it.

installing the reinforcing for the seat anchors is a pain, considered doing it to the FIL's terrano, but decided we'd just swap vehicles with my mistral if he ever needed more the 5 seats as it is a factory 7 seater....same deal again though you could'nt fit adults in the back seat.

So saying that, I don't think any particular brand will give you more benefits in that aspect.

then you also have install the seat belt anchors as no certifier will cert the seats without the seatbelts aswell. so means modifications to the rear pillars as they have changed the laws surrounding lap belts.

the best bet here is to buy a wrecked 7 seater surf and change the rear floor over, but once again having to open up the rear pillars to install double skin and load plating and the retaining nuts for the seatbelt bolts....
For cost effectiveness it may be cheaper to just buy the factory 7 seater. .
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

stealth
Hard Yaka

Postby stealth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for the responce, can you get 7 seater surfs?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I have a 7 seater Prado, and I have owned a few Surfs.
I bought the Prado for the seven seats, and its a more capable 4wd than a Surf too.
I can only imagine that with no easy way to access the ear seats, anyone larger than a young child is going to have issues climbing in and out of the cargo area. And with the lower roof of the Surf you are going to have a rear seat sitting on the floor to get enough head room for any adults. which gives you no leg room at all.
In a Prado you have a swing away rear door that can be opened from the inside for passengers to get out if needed, as well as the rear seats fold forward really easy to give accesss the the rear most seats, which makes it easy to get in and out. and they have a step inside the vehicle to help you climb into the rear cargo area.
Also a Prado sits lower than a Surf so it a lot easier for passengers getting into the back of the vehicle.
If you are looking at cert costs as well as installation costs. and then the seats still looking like they are a compromise, I say sell the Surf and look at a Prado, say this one,...
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... ead#unread

stealth
Hard Yaka

Postby stealth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:46 pm

cheers, does look like it will be easier and more economical.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I dont think you can get 7 seater surfs ...if you can tho ...be very rare

Return to “4wd Safety”