Rear Recovery Point for Surf

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Rear Recovery Point for Surf

Postby jt3000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi, I have been searching around on the site for a good indication of what the best rear recovery point would be on my surf. was thinking about either a hook on one of the towbar end brackets just back from where the bar is welded on. But thought it might also be easier to remove the towball and mounting plate at the two bolts and install a bow shackle. Any thoughts from guys that have done this? The towbar and brackets look reasonably grunty for a straight pull but its not well braced against lateral movement.
Attachments
P1210888 (Small).JPG
P1210885 (Small).JPG
P1210887 (Small).JPG

bruntonjm
Hard Yaka

Re: Rear Recovery Point for Surf

Postby bruntonjm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm

there are a few options available... you could have a plate made up with the hook bolted to it, which you then swap over with your tow bar when you go off road, otherwise under an engineers supervision weld a plate to the main bar on the towbar and bolt the hook to that. The problem with putting a shackle through where the towbar bolts through is often the hole is too small hope this helps... otherwise have a look on trade me for a rear bar with a hook and towbar already...

hippy_
Hard Yaka

Postby hippy_ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Talk to Tom :wink:

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Postby jt3000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks for that (who is Tom?)

Will probably make up a 10mm flat tongue that i can either bolt a hook to or with an eye for a shackle. Can then swap out the tow ball tongue when going off road.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:19 am

I'd be beefing up the way that whole setup where it mounts to the chassis. As you say the lateral strength does not look good and the 4ishmm (I'm guessing) plate looks like it has already had sideways movement.
Is that second hanger bracket only bolted to the draw bar plate? if so, and obviously the other one is bolted to the chassis rail, you are have a bar that can quite easily rotate backwards when any force is put on it.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 am

I'm Tom :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Im with Rok on this one. Your idea of replacing the tongue will work but you wouldn't want to do any heavy snatching. :wink:

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Postby jt3000 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:01 pm

rokhound wrote:I'd be beefing up the way that whole setup where it mounts to the chassis. As you say the lateral strength does not look good and the 4ishmm (I'm guessing) plate looks like it has already had sideways movement.
Is that second hanger bracket only bolted to the draw bar plate? if so, and obviously the other one is bolted to the chassis rail, you are have a bar that can quite easily rotate backwards when any force is put on it.

At either end of the tow bar there is a flat extending back parallel to the chassis rails which has two vertical hangers (each side) welded up off it that both bolt to the rails. There is a diagonal angle brace at each end of the bar also which bolts to the chassis. I would be more comfortable if the angle brace had a couple of bolts fixing it to the chassis but it looks pretty good for a straight pull (all up 6 bolts to rails and would be two 12mm high grade bolts at the hook attachment point). Might take the whole bar off and go talk to an engineering shop about welding ing some diagonal struts for lateral movement. Am not looking for trouble but am likely to end up winching myself out of a hole at some point and its more than likely available anchor points wont line themselves up to suit me.

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Postby jt3000 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm

tomsoffroad wrote:

I'm Tom :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Im with Rok on this one. Your idea of replacing the tongue will work but you wouldn't want to do any heavy snatching. :wink:

Gidday Tom. You do this type of work i take it? would a bit of angle bracing sort me out?

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm

jt3000 wrote:Gidday Tom. You do this type of work i take it? would a bit of angle bracing sort me out?

Here is the thread full of all the cool stuff he does. :wink:
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=27391

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Postby jt3000 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:10 pm

awesome stuff. Will have a crack at the tongue piece mentioned above and will post a pic, then take the truck in to have someone look at the bar. I know a welder or two but it might be good to get some pointers on a bash plate as well. Where are you based Tom? Are you interested in small jobs like this? The brownie point bank balance is a little low at the moment so cant splash heaps of cash around.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 am

personally i would look at rebuilding the whole bar as the current bar has to many pivot points etc
the concept of using a plate bolted to the existing round rear bar is that on a heavy pull you could well rip the bolts out of the channel the the tongue pushes into

if you think of snatch recovery in "straight weight" only the bar needs to take around 8 ton in holding strength. i would not think the current set up is up to that type of usage. have a word with Tom and if budget cant quite get there, hold on to the coin and save up until it does.

the issue is that if it lets go it will take your mate out, as that bar, when fling through the air will be lethal.

jt3000
Driver/Navigator

Postby jt3000 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:34 am

I'd be worried about the tongue piece as a potential missile but failure of the whole bar probably would not be sudden as not all the bolts would fail at once. It is more likely that it would fail a couple of bolts or buckle the flat brackets rather than tear completely off the vehicle.

I take your point though that the tow bar setup is not a great one for snatching off. will definitely get it in to an expert for some advice.

Return to “4wd Safety”