Is my sway bar mount safe /warrantable?

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Is my sway bar mount safe /warrantable?

Postby Colinl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:54 pm

This is on my Daily driver d22 navara.
Popped my head under the truck to grease the front prop shafts slip joint and noticed this.

20130723_151753.jpg

Heres a photo of the other side

20130723_151740.jpg

Must have been a god dammed big rock of some sort.

Would a reasonable WOF inspector pass this part or is it a no no?

If i have to fix it, it'll look like I'll have to cut the bracket out, fold a new one, drill new holes and tack new nuts behind the bracket then weld the bracket back onto the front cross member then a paint.
From what I gather (correct me if im wrong)I'll have to get this bracket LVV certified as its a non OEM part i'm replacing which make the matter a whole lot worse.

Hamz
Hard Yaka

Re: Is my sway bar mount safe /warrantable?

Postby Hamz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Should be ok man, its likely its been there scince your last wof, and just never noticed it. Your main chassis Rails wont be bent and thats what they'll be looking for, sway bar mounts aren't structual.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Really up to the wof guy to make a full assessment and judgement. Pictures will never show the whole story

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 pm

yeah I'm trolling through the NZTA wof guidelines and if the WOF dude follows it to the letter then any damadged suspension component is reason to fail a WOF. I better get friendly with the local garage ha ha.

I'm pretty sure i did this when i took it out over the akataraws with the club. did a whole lot more damage that day too... bent gearbox cross member, gouge in drivers door, bent bumper frame and the list goes on ha ha Im relatively new the 4wding and learning lots everytime i go out.

Hamz
Hard Yaka

Postby Hamz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 pm

you can take the swaybar and mounts out for wof and have no problem

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

Postby y60 safari driver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Hamz wrote:you can take the swaybar and mounts out for wof and have no problem

no if fitted from factory they must be fitted, or certed to remove. and you're right they are classed the same as any other suspension part so if damaged will need replacing. I would talk to panel beaters and find out how they would fix it, could be an easier way around it

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 pm

My sway bar has never been on my Disco since I bought it and its had that many WOFs at all different stations and passed each time. Even the small arms dangle down in full view but it was like this when I bought and am actually wanting to buy a bar to refit back to standard.

Return to “4wd Safety”