Bullbars got WOF for years, now take them off?

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Bullbars got WOF for years, now take them off?

Postby flatsix » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Old bars have been on the disco for years, before I have it, always got a wof, no one even commented on the bars.

Last wof, I get those front bars aren't compliant with the air bag sensor, so no wof.

Not that keen on taking them off, as they are all tied up with the winch and the bash plate, so what options?

Cut it so I just have the winch and bash plate left.

Take air bags out and get cert, if that's even possible

Change position of the air bad crush cans or whatever they are called.

take all off, get wof and put them back afterwoods

Pain in the fcuking arse

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Bullbars got WOF for years, now take them off?

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Yep buy the dash, non pretension seat belt buckles and steering wheel from a non airbag model and remove all traces of SRS system from yours.... Then go some where else for WOF...if they just happen to notice it should have had air bags then go for cert.....

Or just go somewhere else for a WOF.

I did the above to my mistral using steering wheel from ex army ute( no airbags) and they never picked it up
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Take em off before the warrant put them back after, silently bask in your triumph against the man.

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 pm

The tjm which bar for the disco was identicle for airbag or non airbag . But the mount had half of the meat v'd out of it in a verticle line .and a bs shiny sticker on it stating compliance for said bar on said years of model of discovery .

Maybe take the mounts off . Make them look new and find some bs sticker off the internet and stick it on .

Tell said homo wof man u bought new compliant mounts

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:37 pm

If the vehicle is over 14 years old you can remove the airbags and get a cert.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Its all about safety and ass covering these days
Easy way round it is to fit air bag approved bar,after paying cert man getting all the bits and bobs then putting aside a weekend to sort out
But yeah you have options above aswell

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:08 pm

There were non airbag facelift discovery's so if you can find the parts, fit them and be done with it.

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:47 am

from a vague memory they are held on with 4-6 bolts, so apart from winch cables they will come off fairly easily, depending if bolts rusted that is, get hold of a genuine bumper fit with 2 bolts, get warrent and then swop back :)

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks for taking time to comment on this, I'm kinda resigned to doing it properly and get cert and then it never going to be an issue again. Presume its an auto sparky job to remove bags etc, then down for cert and no doubt they will find something else they don't like, fcuking Jobsworths!

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:01 am

rather than talking to an auto sparky you'd be far better off talking to whoever you're going to take it to for lvvta certification so it meets their requirements, its always a pain in the arse having to do a job twice because you didn't find out what the correct way was the first time around :)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:03 am

No you can remove the SRS system yourself but make sure the battery is disconnected for a bit before attacking the steering wheel etc. All the SRS related items have to go including the loom. G sensor ( usually under center console between front seats) air bags pre tensioners and any warning labels relating to said SRS system. You will need security torx bit set for the bolts on the SRS system and will also guide you in what needs to be removed as it will have said bolts securing them
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:16 am

Yep, talked to Don (cert guy down here) and there is a bit to it. Bag recesses have to be filled with foam, bag loom, ecu etc out as has been stated here. But also the auto sparker has to fill out a form that all this has been done according to whatever lvvta spec is current today. Didn't know about that, so I can pick up that list and see what sort of quotes I can get early next year.

Any body want to hazard a guess at the cost? (less the cert itself which is about $450). I'll post the quotes here next year when I have them.

Return to “4wd Safety”