Tyres for the Beach AT or HT?

heuge65
Driver/Navigator

Tyres for the Beach AT or HT?

Postby heuge65 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 pm

I need tyres for my 90 terrano standard rig. I'm contemplating fitting some wider tyres, 265/70/15 great for the beach and road but not much else and that suits me fine. What I don't know is, do the gains (wider tyres) outweigh the losses (fuel consumption, etc)? I went and saw tyre-busters and he was keen on falkens in the above numbers bout 200 ea. Usually I go for 235s which go ok up Muriwai but I wouldn't mind some bigger feet for peace of mind, anyone offer any advice on 1. Pros and cons of road tyres vs ATs and 2. Falkens? Cheers.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Re: Tyres for the Beach AT or HT?

Postby J_Dub » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Comes down to your preference but with sand it isn't about traction at all, its about sitting on top of the sand and preventing digging.

So wider, flatter the better.

Can't answer the fuel consumption bit, but I noticed a big difference in my td27 terrano going from stock rims n tyres to aftermarket rims and 31" muds

BGOSNZ
Bush Crasher

Postby BGOSNZ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:46 am

Tyre pressure plays a huge part in your ability to drag yourself through sand regardless of what's wrapped around your rims.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am

Imho i would look at ats as they are generally a but heavier in the side walls than hts. It will mean they can handle lower pressure a bit better. End of day ive found a %80 bald muddy worked real well. Simexs not so good :(

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Balder the better at 15psi
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

zedz
Winch master

Postby zedz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:45 am

Depends on what you mean by beach.. red rocks beach or 90 mile beach.
I'd recommend Bald MTs for red rocks just because of all the sharp volcanic rocks you can encounter there. get them dirt cheap 2nds at tyre shops & mount them on some steelies.

BGOSNZ
Bush Crasher

Postby BGOSNZ » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 am

In my experience Muriwai is a lot trickier to drive on than 90 mile beach.

Where is Red Rocks Beach?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:39 am

soft non aggressive (or bald :D ) tyres, wider footprint and low pressure is what you want for sand, aggressive tyres dig down (simex :D ) and get you stuck where non aggressive tyres will sit up higher and ride on top of the sand, low pressure and no that's not 20 psi low means around 10 psi +/- (and you'll run that fine without popping a bead unless your trying to run 10" rims tubeless) that'll give you a nice flat foot print on top of the sand, you want a wide tyre but not stupidly wide or you'll have too much drag to maintain a good speed and will probably end up cooking your engine and burning your clutch out if it cant keep up :D when its time to go home don't try pumping your tyres up to 32 psi with your little electric compressor its really hard work for them it'll get too hot and want to roll over and die just pump your tyres back up to 20 psi ish and that'll be enough to drive on to get to next gas station to pump them back up to proper road pressure :D

zedz
Winch master

Postby zedz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:51 am

BGOSNZ wrote:In my experience Muriwai is a lot trickier to drive on than 90 mile beach.

Where is Red Rocks Beach?

South Coast wellington.

Seen many tyres get ripped with people carelessly brushing up against big rocks and pinching/ cutting their tyres.

There are a couple of tight rock gates where this could happen to the complaisant.

Chops4wd
Hard Yaka

Postby Chops4wd » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Falken T-110 in my honest opinion would be a good option, its an all terrain but not a very aggressive pattern, good road handling and you will get great kms out of them if treated right, They are pretty soft too which will be great for bagging when aired down. I think 265/70-15's would be sweet as

heuge65
Driver/Navigator

Postby heuge65 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:35 am

Thanks Derk and Chops, good info there. Yeah mostly up around Muriwai, out on the beach and not on the range. I also get up the 90 and out onto the beach north of Dargaville. The sands quite firm up South head (Kaipara) right now but it's been my experience that that will change over the next year in spots. I usually let the air out and drop down to @12lb but it's a pain in the arse driving out to Waimauku in the slow lane. Hence the possible switch.

heuge65
Driver/Navigator

Postby heuge65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Went with the Falken T-110s, magic, couldn't be happier so far. Have been up Muriwai a couple of times now and whilst I haven't be cutting up the soft stuff the drive out is a lot quieter and smoother (and quicker I think). I've been trying things out a bit and I'm thinking they're a good improvement on getting onto some of the dune platforms for over-nighting. Great on-road. That's it, a prosperous and happy new year to all.

Return to “Tyres”