Boat buying

RJT
Hard Yaka

Boat buying

Postby RJT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm looking at buying my first boat, <5m, for fishing mostly fresh water up the lakes like Coleridge etc. Looking in particular at Marlborough darts and fi glass fireballs. How do people rate these as fresh water fishing boats? Anything in particular to look for when inspecting them? Soft spots etc...
CHANGED TEAMS: 92 Nissan Terrano for fishing and touring, stock for now... slight tweaking (31" mt, snorkel, hooks) to come.

Coming soon... Vitara on silverstones

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Re: Boat buying

Postby J_Dub » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 pm

i rate them very highly
Ive worked on them a lot.
well built boats, I especially like the darts

Find the 1 you want, all you need is a hammer, tap all over the transom and under the water line on the hull, transom should be hard and when you tap it with a hammer it shouldnt bounce and will have a hard cracking sound if solid or a dull soft sound if the transom is soft and rotten, same as the hull but expect there will be soft spots where there is no stringers, then hard spots where the stringers are. check for hairline cracks, these arent neccesarily bad but if water is seeping out then water is getting in

RJT
Hard Yaka

Postby RJT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Excellent thanks for that. Can the same be said about sea nymphs? Had a look at one last night. They're were no soft spots, just a bit of surface crazing on the top sides. But the engine was a peach! Looked damn near new!
CHANGED TEAMS: 92 Nissan Terrano for fishing and touring, stock for now... slight tweaking (31" mt, snorkel, hooks) to come.

Coming soon... Vitara on silverstones

waka
Hard Yaka

Postby waka » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm

I Have a 52 hamilton with 308 holden in it i maybe interested in selling due to upgrading. It is a perfect lake boat eats 5 easy with heaps of space what kind of $$$ you want to spend?

teamorange
Driver/Navigator

Postby teamorange » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Personally its all about the outboard. Buy one with the newest motor you can afford with the lowest hours and well serviced. I had a Sea Nymph Gullwing V146 (14.5FT) for about 5 years excellent stable boat and very well regarded, the crazy glazing look does not effect the running of the boat but it is expensive to repair so I never bothered.

I bought mine with a 1990 Mercury 90HP with 380+ hours it let me down a few times (which is never a good thing) so then I repowered it with a brand new Yamaha 90HP and never looked back.

Just my 2cents worth

muskie
Hard Yaka

Postby muskie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 pm

i bought my boat from turners, it was a repossesion and i got it for $5000, its an aluminium fyran 460 with a yamaha 50 2 stroke, it is purely a fishing boat and comfortably fishes 4, this particular model was built in conjunction with that bill hohepa fishing guy....when i bought i took a chance and went on the boats condition as i couldnt run the motor as there was no key, i bought a key from yamaha for $26 and the motor crackled into life first turn, just cleaned out the carbs (today) as it had been sitting for well over a year and its now perfect and worth around $10-$12k i am over the moon with it.. so maybe keep an eye on turners.... i have a turners at the bottom of my road and my boat had sat there for 3 months becouse of the fact noone could start it....it could have easily gone the other way though and i expected it too if i am honest, but as the hull is in great condition i didnt mind buying a newer motor and may even trade this one in as i have had a motor trade in quote of $3500 against a demonstrator merc at $8000...chance you take though.

Return to “Fish'n”