Fly fishing

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Fly fishing

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:48 am

Just thought i'd introduce myself to this forum. Im an avid fly fisherman wo gets out 2-3 times a year, but catches bugger all.
In fact i'm that usless at fishing I cant even catch a cold!
I also tie my own flies, and one, yes just one, caught a fish for me!
It is a Phesant tail Nymph, and I still have it! The fish was a 4.5lb brown trout in the lower Tekapo River.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

access4WD
Hard Yaka

Postby access4WD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 am

Hi Kiwipete
Well we do have something in common. Now you are talking, Talking fishing! YAY!!!
Did you know 50% of the population of the world fish?
The other 50% just wished they were fishing!

I am a fisherman too. Used to fresh water fish a lot when I lived in Hawkes Bay, then when coming south we spent many happy hours in our boat hauling up BIG cod, diving for huge crays etc. Now I have also moved back into Fresh water fishing, especially Salmon as we are one of the few places in the world where you can catch salmon, sorry try and catch salmon. That is actually how I got involved in 4WDing, Then I put my hand up (silly bugger) and got involved with access, as fishing has huge access issues (sorry shouldn’t go there!) instead of a jet boat my Jeep, (then) and Landrover 90 td5 now takes me more places in some ways better that a jet boat, warmer too!! but like you catch more colds than anything. Maybe we could run a fishing trip?
Time will tell and we will see what you post brings from the forum..
Cheers
Paul
:D :D

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Postby Elmo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:01 pm

I too am a keen fisher person, Ive been out a couple of times with the best dressed, worst feed fisherman (Kiwipete) :-D

The 4x4 certainly helps getting to many places.

I dont go out all that often either, but my spinning rod is always in my truck. I try to fly, but I havent mastered that one yet.

Ive hunted hi and low for a couple of pictures that were taken a few weeks ago, showing Pete and myself fishing. The fish was good wasnt it?!?!?

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Elmo wrote:Ive been out a couple of times with the best dressed, worst fed fisherman (Kiwipete) :-D

Bastard! :? :shock:
Ph 0212078472

Jezza
Hard Yaka

Postby Jezza » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Well, this site is even better now that there is fishing :D
I have only been fly fishing for a year or two. My old boss used to teach me how to cast at lunch time.
I got this one lunch time, 20lb rainbow trout with the ol' favourite Mrs simpson fly

long
Hard Yaka

yuck

Postby long » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:41 pm

you mean ppl eat those mud tasting fish ??????? :scratch:
Terrano TD 2.7 and a ssangyong Rexton

Armourguard
Hard Yaka

Re: yuck

Postby Armourguard » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:22 pm

long wrote:you mean ppl eat those mud tasting fish ??????? :scratch:

X 2 +o( :spit:
"Owning a 40 is almost like having an ugly child, with a really good personality."

Elmo
Hard Yaka

Re: yuck

Postby Elmo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:26 pm

Armourguard wrote:
long wrote:you mean ppl eat those mud tasting fish ??????? :scratch:

X 2 +o( :spit:

Youve got 2? I'll happily take one off your hands!! ;-)

minefield
Hard Yaka

Re: Fly fishing

Postby minefield » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:25 pm

I am a ex-christchurch flyfisherman mainly fished the high country lakes and rivers, And I'm comming home have the house on the market so I will look forward to fishing the high country again in the canterbury area.

I have four rods, one 4 piece and three 2 piece 6 weight rods and I have been fishing for about thirty years I mainly nymph and dry fly I love fishing the hatches in the evenings, I always fish light 3-5lb nippett

Two rivers that are over looked in Christchurch is the L2 and Harts creek I have pulled some huge fish out of Harts creek and the L2 always fishers well

Cheers

Graham
Nissan Safari SWB Auto ,50mm suspension Lift , 50mm body lift, 12000lbs winch,
33x12.5x15 Perilli scorpion muds

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Well it looks like a fishing trip is in the making here sometime. :shock:
Ph 0212078472

minefield
Hard Yaka

Postby minefield » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Kiwipete,

No problems, I used to have a caravan at lake Heron over the fishing season and also fished lake clearwater and lake emma, I used to be a member of the canterbury landrover Club, I was the social cordinator and every year I ran the opening of the trout fishing club trip.

Up the Rakaia river ,Up lake stream to lake Heren around the back of sugarloaf and then first night would be at Harrisions Blight, At the far end of Lake heron good dry fly fishing in the evening, Then it would be off up the west bank past the seagull lakes and lake Manuka to Lake Emma we had to drop a boundry fence on the way, Lake Emma always fishes well.

From there it was past Lake clearwater to the Potts Station to the head waters of the Rangitata river where we would cross the river and follow the river down to the Mesopatamia station, The Rangitata held some big fish but the Havelock river I though held sme of the best fish ,It was a three day trip a lot of fun.

Those were the days of my old S11 landrover

So yes I'll look you up when we sell and settle down in Christchurch
Nissan Safari SWB Auto ,50mm suspension Lift , 50mm body lift, 12000lbs winch,
33x12.5x15 Perilli scorpion muds

vvilly
Hard Yaka

Postby vvilly » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:15 pm

kiwipete wrote:Just thought i'd introduce myself to this forum. Im an avid fly fisherman wo gets out 2-3 times a year, but catches bugger all.
In fact i'm that usless at fishing I cant even catch a cold!
I also tie my own flies, and one, yes just one, caught a fish for me!
It is a Phesant tail Nymph, and I still have it! The fish was a 4.5lb brown trout in the lower Tekapo River.

i fly fished the tekapo a couple of weeks ago got 15 trout in 3 1/2 hours had a mate with me he was spinning he gave up and watched
LIFT YOUR TRUCK FAT CHICKS CANT JUMP

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 pm

i fly fished the tekapo a couple of weeks ago got 15 trout in 3 1/2 hours had a mate with me he was spinning he gave up and watched

What were you using, may I ask?
Ph 0212078472

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:59 pm

kiwipete wrote:

What else but that very best of trout baits..... sorry...... lures, but a nice fresh-caught cicada?

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:53 pm

prince nymphs are my fly of choice at the mo, have gone well in both the rangitikei and the manawatu rivers recently
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:18 pm

I have hunted the high country and fished the main rivers too.
The upper Mohaka, Ngaruoro, their tributaries as well as the Whakatane, Rangitkei and Rangataiki, all the upper reaches where the chance of a deer is on.... always had good luck fishing a Taihape Tickler at night/ Most times, a nymph of most patterns is good, this time of year, a cicada either live, did I SAY that? or a well constructed lure is always good.
Green beetles when they are falling off the ti-tree are choice too.

Damn do I love that high country and the clean water.....

vvilly
Hard Yaka

Postby vvilly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Moriarty wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

What else but that very best of trout baits..... sorry...... lures, but a nice fresh-caught cicada?

nope i tied my own dry out of a grey hackle and rabbits fur cross sinthetic dubbing boddy and paint brush brissles as tails god i couldnt go wrong mate said it was like watchin a dvd hehe gave me a fat head

vvilly
Hard Yaka

Postby vvilly » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:05 pm

im going down south in november for my annual trip may have one slot free if anyone is keen

200 for accom food and gas BYO

dates are 2-7 november

corosafari
Hard Yaka

Postby corosafari » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:22 pm

wait 4 meeee!!!!
Heading south for 8 weeks, camper, kayaks ,flyfishing gear with the family. see post in planning trips. Caught all sorts of fish on salt fly up in coromandel, kawhai, trevally, kingies, even snapper but no luck with trout, well I dont count the 2 caught with guide. Recently picked up Ten Thumbed Beginners guide to fly tying, gets a bit fiddly in smaller sizes but passes time onboard ship. Oh yeh dates will be late feb through to April.
Look forward to possibly catching up or should I hooking up.

vvilly
Hard Yaka

Postby vvilly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:30 pm

corosafari wrote:wait 4 meeee!!!!
Heading south for 8 weeks, camper, kayaks ,flyfishing gear with the family. see post in planning trips. Caught all sorts of fish on salt fly up in coromandel, kawhai, trevally, kingies, even snapper but no luck with trout, well I dont count the 2 caught with guide. Recently picked up Ten Thumbed Beginners guide to fly tying, gets a bit fiddly in smaller sizes but passes time onboard ship. Oh yeh dates will be late feb through to April.

give me a buzz closer to the time aye

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:40 pm

ive done a little fly fishing in the south a year or so ago and i am looking at heading down there in a month or two, anyone got an idea of a nice spot in top of the south??. ive only ever caught one trout in the mataura river way down the bottom of the country just as a storm was brewing. i got it on my second cast on a brown and gold nymphie thing. musta been the hell fluke as iv never caught anything else on a fly ever again :lol:
any where considered tho
DIRTY OLD HILUX
022 519 7700

corosafari
Hard Yaka

Postby corosafari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 pm

vvilly wrote:
corosafari wrote:wait 4 meeee!!!!

give me a buzz closer to the time aye

Cheers will do, will put post up just before leaving , probably down your way a couple weeks after dep, thanks.

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:38 pm

anyone here want to buy some fly gear. im having a clean out

i have a kilwell presentation 4 piece 6wt matt finish carbon rod (has only caught one fish)
kilwell reel with backing and floating line
about 7 books
fly tieing gear
about 50 various nymphs and dry flys
2 fly boxes
and a vest
blah blah
enough to get completly started up or restocked

about 1500 bucks worth at least

offers around 5 or 6 hundy
this is a lot of gear at a fraction of the price :cry:

pm if interested or swap for rifle....