Nissan Terrano R50 TD27 Smoking

aidytheace
Driver/Navigator

Nissan Terrano R50 TD27 Smoking

Postby aidytheace » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi. My 1995 Terrano TD27 has started to get a little harder to start and is blowing white/blue smoke when revving while in park. It has always started first time but now might take a second attempt. The main issue is that while I’m parked and start slowly reviving I’m getting clouds of white/slight blue smoke up to about 4000rpm. It also seems to be missing slightly. Beyond 4000rpm the smoke clears and it runs fine. If I put it into gear and start driving it’s running fine with no discernible smoke. The only thing is a very slight hint of a miss at low revs.

Glow plugs tested and all fine. Replaced fuel filter as it was due anyway. No difference. Bypassed the filter to test and still the same.

Any ideas?

Cheers!!

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano R50 TD27 Smoking

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am

How many KM has the motor done?
is it using any coolant? (probably not, but i have to ask)

If not, the white smoke usually means excess fuel. I have seen white/gray smoke on a TD27 that had a blocked air intake tract, it was being starved of air, so hence mixtures were real rich. However, given that your motor runs fine high in the RPM range, I doubt that is the issue. So the main suspect here now becomes the Fuel pump, worn inside.

aidytheace
Driver/Navigator

Postby aidytheace » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:45 am

BlakeNZ wrote:How many KM has the motor done?
is it using any coolant? (probably not, but i have to ask)

If not, the white smoke usually means excess fuel. I have seen white/gray smoke on a TD27 that had a blocked air intake tract, it was being starved of air, so hence mixtures were real rich. However, given that your motor runs fine high in the RPM range, I doubt that is the issue. So the main suspect here now becomes the Fuel pump, worn inside.

Thanks Blake. About 250k on the clock. Not using any coolant. I will check the air intake just in case. I read something about a little filter under the banjo bolt on the fuel pump causing problems. Have you run into that scenario before?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:14 pm

I've heard about it, but i think it is possibly only a factor on the NON ETi models of TD27s.
my fuel pump went at 190k km.
BTW At 250k km your injectors are due a re condition. Not overly expensive.

Return to “Having problems?”