air rifles

lee22
Bush Crasher

air rifles

Postby lee22 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm

hello there
got a question regarding importing air rifles to NZ. at some point in the next few years my family and i will be moving out there . we have a number of air rifles between us some of which have been in the family for a long time. i need advice about bringing them with us , is it doable, what do i have to do, are there any legal (eg gun specs) issues to take into account etc. any advice will be most welcome
lee

Windsock
Hard Yaka

Re: air rifles

Postby Windsock » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Lee,

At first glance of this web site http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html I couldn't find anything specific to air rifles but you may be able to find a link to someone who can help you directly at the NZ police firearms division. Currently to my knowledge no licence is required to own or possess air rifles in NZ if over an age and I think that is 16.
~ Good roads lead to bad fishing. ~ Eric Wight, Maine Game Warden ~

curious_george
Bush Crasher

Postby curious_george » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Windsock wrote:Hi Lee,

At first glance of this web site http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html I couldn't find anything specific to air rifles but you may be able to find a link to someone who can help you directly at the NZ police firearms division. Currently to my knowledge no licence is required to own or possess air rifles in NZ if over an age and I think that is 16.

The current age is 18 to posses or purchase without a license, 16 with a license.

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/infosheet04.html has all the info about airguns, but unfortunately nothing about importing them. I would get in touch with anyone on this page - they are all firearms officers and at least one of them should be able to point you in the right direction.

The only other people I can think would be customs NZ - feedback@customs.govt.nz - but I have found that knocking your head repeatedly against a blunt object will generally replicate the experience of dealing with them.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:55 pm

a good place to ask...... http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi

as air rifles are retricted weapons then most likly they will fall under the same rules as in bringing in normall firearms.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:59 pm

not a good look if the fall on the floor at LA X like some kiwi found out :D
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

mroffroader
Hard Yaka

Postby mroffroader » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Just don't do what my old man did in Morocco and wrap a old antique blackpowder in a blanket and stick it thorugh the x-ray at the moroccon airport without declearing it and not being able to speak any more french than bonjour :lol: :lol: :roll:

in all seriousness i dont think its worth the hassle as you can buy a huge range of air rifles over here cheap and expensive. :wink:
80 series tow bus towing a redneck ass vitara :D

lee22
Bush Crasher

Postby lee22 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 pm

thanks for all the replies guys theres some really good links there. i know itd be easy to replace them out there, and cheeper too, but there are 3 rifles in particualar which are of setimental value which i really would like to keep hold off so its good to know that i can bring them and the attitude towards firearms is as it should be sencible and with a good does of common sence thrown in, you dont tend to get that here :wink:
in referance to licences do you have seperate ones covering shotguns and firearms (ie a lee enfield 303 bolt action) or do they come under 1 licence.
lee

Big-AL
Hard Yaka

Postby Big-AL » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:05 pm

i dont know much about air rifles, but i wanted to bring some Co2 powered hand guns, and a soft air riffle 400fps back from usa with me, they are totally banned in australia (as i found out the hard way) but i had no problem bringing a co2 powered paintball gun, and semi auto 500fps co2 hand gun, and a 400fps soft air riffle into nz. just make sure its all in your check in luggage, and i know its not allowed to be automatic. i think mine were .177 or 4.5mm

they do look at you a bit funny, when they scan ur bags, and see a whole bag full of guns and riffle's :)

lee22
Bush Crasher

Postby lee22 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Big-AL wrote:i dont know much about air rifles, but i wanted to bring some Co2 powered hand guns, and a soft air riffle 400fps back from usa with me, they are totally banned in australia (as i found out the hard way) but i had no problem bringing a co2 powered paintball gun, and semi auto 500fps co2 hand gun, and a 400fps soft air riffle into nz. just make sure its all in your check in luggage, and i know its not allowed to be automatic. i think mine were .177 or 4.5mm

they do look at you a bit funny, when they scan ur bags, and see a whole bag full of guns and riffle's :)

:lol: :lol: i can imagine
lee

curious_george
Bush Crasher

Postby curious_george » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:55 pm

lee22 wrote:in referance to licences do you have seperate ones covering shotguns and firearms (ie a lee enfield 303 bolt action) or do they come under 1 licence.
lee

We have an interesting license system here, but for the majority of firearms (.22's, centre-fire hunting rifles, shotguns etc) they all come under the one license. Have a look at this page about half-way down - it explains how it all works. In a nutshell, unless it's an automatic weapon, a pistol or has a free standing pistol grip, bayonet boss or high capacity magazine, you'll be right once you have a standard license.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Have you looked at whether you need export permits for the airguns? I've found with center-fires they are far more troublesome than import. A friend has had export issues with airguns which i think was out of the UK but that was with normal shipping and not as checked luggage. Other countries now require export permits for optics now to so there may be new rules with airguns.

Return to “Hunting”