fire arms liecence

kaney
Hard Yaka

Re: fire arms liecence

Postby kaney » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Smurf wrote:My Father in law just got his licence and has no intention of having a firearm. He still had to have a means of securing a firearm in the house to get his licence. He wrapped a chain around rafters in the roof with a padlock.

yea i got mine two years ago and that's all i told him as well, was going to put a bike security lock through the rafters and the trigger guard, and he said that was sweet.
toymota thats stock standard.

Satalite
Hard Yaka

Postby Satalite » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm

rangimotors wrote:The inspector filled out all the questions for me, when he asked what i would do if i woke up and heard someone stealing my car and i said i'd go out and shoot them he just wrote down dial 111. it's all a bit of a joke but then don't get me started on the laws of buying second hand guns...

My dad said the same thing and the guy said "make sure you fire a warning shot in the roof or floor after, then when the cops come tell them you shot the warning shot first" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So if you shoot someone shoot another shot somewhere else and then say it was self defense and you shot a warning shot first????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm

yea just make sure its in the floor, they now realise when there is a dead body lying on the floor with plaster dust on its chest from the hole in the roof..
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:56 pm

rangimotors wrote:yea just make sure its in the floor, they now realise when there is a dead body lying on the floor with plaster dust on its chest from the hole in the roof..

That'd be a DEAD giveaway, wouldnt it?

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Moriarty wrote:
rangimotors wrote:yea just make sure its in the floor, they now realise when there is a dead body lying on the floor with plaster dust on its chest from the hole in the roof..

That'd be a DEAD giveaway, wouldnt it?

its sad that i just laughed for a couple of mins about that..
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 am

Dont use 00 buck either as that over penetrates and can go right through without causing death. Best to use is no1 shot as it has a greater surface area and causes a huge amount of trauma but doesnt seem to overpenetrate (12 gu only, 20gu is different - 2 shot I think). Home defense sites in the US are a fantastic place for this sort of stuff.
Also if you store your rifle under the bed then leave some cleaning gear there also (as if you have just pushed it under there, having been interupted during cleaning) and you are not storing the weapon illegally but were cleaning it.

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:51 am

Heath wrote:Dont use 00 buck either as that over penetrates and can go right through without causing death. Best to use is no1 shot as it has a greater surface area and causes a huge amount of trauma but doesnt seem to overpenetrate (12 gu only, 20gu is different - 2 shot I think). Home defense sites in the US are a fantastic place for this sort of stuff.
Also if you store your rifle under the bed then leave some cleaning gear there also (as if you have just pushed it under there, having been interupted during cleaning) and you are not storing the weapon illegally but were cleaning it.

Never seen 00 buck here, but it's early days yet.

Only buckshots I have used comprises of nine .270 calibre round balls stacked in three rows of three.

over penetrates? You BETCHA boots they do, we were killin goats with them at around 30 feet and counting the holes. Ok, we WERE in our 20's at the time. common to get 12 to 18 holes in even a billy goat. YAH!!! dead stinking billy goats.

Is it wise to discuss effects on humans?> dunno, but here goes.
I would prefer skeet shot, 9s also used to great efect on quial. Actually,m fellers, it does not matter one speck of ratshit WHAT shot you use at close range, it might as well be solids.
The patter does not start to open at house invaders ranges. It MAY have opened out to a shot-string maybe 100mm long, and opened out to around 40mm, (be tighter in a choked barrel)
might as well be a single slug.

Ok, why 9s then? if you miss, they spread quickly and the individual pellet being quite light, will slow quickly too, and the chances of accidental fatal injuries are heavily reduced.

Your theory about cleaning wouldnt wash with the cops.
You havent explained why you are cleaning a firearm with ammo in and or around it, or even loaded!!! Another point, is, you are responsible AT ALL TIMES, the state of the safety of yr firearm, you WOULD get done for it.
Lose the lot, and never own another one., Is it worth it? nope.
One day, the laws may change again, as they do, and if its for total disarmament, we resist it as hard as we can. But i suspect that they will toughen and then loosen again. these things ARE cyclic.

B

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:04 am

Just make sure you don't store your 45 caliber pistol in your pocket.............

80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 am

Note to self:
When shooting my own foot, take OFF the steel toecap boots.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:26 am

man, that fella was lucky the round didn't hit anything else! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hold a firearms license. But I think they should change the firearm law and include air rifles.
I know that might sound a bit to sensitive. But the latest pre-charge and even springer air rifles can kill, easily.
I own one .22 air rifle that gets a pellet moving at over a 1000fps at the muzzle. Now that's around the same speed as a powder LR .22 rifle.
When are the laws going to get up to speed with the new techlogy??

I've heard there's a bunch of young boys getting around Chch in a car/van smashing large glass bus shelter pains using a air rifle.
If you had to have a license to own an air rifle, it might get treated with the respect that due.

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 am

petefj40 wrote:man, that fella was lucky the round didn't hit anything else! :shock:

I hold a firearms license. But I think they should change the firearm law and include air rifles.
I know that might sound a bit to sensitive. But the latest pre-charge and even springer air rifles can kill, easily.
I own one .22 air rifle that gets a pellet moving at over a 1000fps at the muzzle. Now that's around the same speed as a powder LR .22 rifle.

I've heard there's a bunch of young boys getting around Chch in a car/van smashing large glass bus shelter pains using a air rifle.
If you had to have a license to own an air rifle, it might get treated with the respect that due.

.22 longrifle velocity is averaged at 1475 FPS.
I had a chrongraph and tested several different makes of carts in my Browning Tee Bolt. So thats NOT guessing velocities. Thems documented!!!

Treat an air-rifle like a powder arm and you will face the same penalties. Thats how it works now. wording is different, but thats the score.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 am

Moriarty wrote:
petefj40 wrote:man, that fella was lucky the round didn't hit anything else! :shock:

.22 longrifle velocity is averaged at 1475 FPS.
I had a chrongraph and tested several different makes of carts in my Browning Tee Bolt. So thats NOT guessing velocities. Thems documented!!!

Treat an air-rifle like a powder arm and you will face the same penalties. Thats how it works now. wording is different, but thats the score.

Fact is Bob.
High powered air rifles are getting faster and faster and should be treated as a firearm. Fact is, they aren't. They warrant a firearms license. End of story.
But that's just my opinion.

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am

I disagree (with all respect) I hate the way of the world that one very small group can ruin it for everyone else and get something banned. What these guys are doing is illegal can't we just police that and punish them accordingly?
I think air guns are fantastic, I had one from the age of 13 obviously supervised by an adult. I was taught how to be a responsible gun owner and weather or not mine could of killed someone or not I was always taught to treat it as if it could (loaded or not). It turned me from a silly boy playing with plastic toys to a young responsible keen hunter which was a great stepping stone into bigger and better things in later years. We cannot wrap people up in cotton wool, at some stage they have to be responsible for there own actions and if they are children there parents need to be responsible. Don't forget the legal age to buy an air gun is still 18, unless your parents by it for you.

Many legal things can kill, knives, slingshots, bats, bars etc etc lets take some responsibility before we jump on the wagon and ban everything.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 am

I take your point rangi.
It's like driving kids to school. Why don't they walk/bike/bus. Our roads are choked because of it..

In regards to weapons, knifes and the like. I get your point.
But technogy has made huge changes in airguns since the law was written. Time for change.

I forget what the limits are for airguns in the UK. But they rate all air weapons with an energy rating. As soon as it gets to a limit you're not allowed them in the country.

It's so relaxed here in NZ with the air gun law is a joke.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Don't know if this is the right thread but yeah.
At work the police sent us some info regarding the reclassification of certain style rifle stocks to be E-cat. Don't think its finalised but they were just notifying us. The likes of the remington yellow jacket .22 style stock and those pistol grip stocks with bars inserted ie the lithgow? is it and the saigas (dragunov stock). also the sl8 type thumbhole stock was looking at being changed.

Don't know if anyone has heard anything similar but yeah unsure how it will affect existing owners.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Swamped wrote:Don't know if this is the right thread but yeah.
At work the police sent us some info regarding the reclassification of certain style rifle stocks to be E-cat. Don't think its finalised but they were just notifying us. The likes of the remington yellow jacket .22 style stock and those pistol grip stocks with bars inserted ie the lithgow? is it and the saigas (dragunov stock). also the sl8 type thumbhole stock was looking at being changed.

Don't know if anyone has heard anything similar but yeah unsure how it will affect existing owners.

Yeah i heard a few months back this was going to happen.
I heard that while a particular person who's high up in parliament and connected to the gun laws was on holiday was the time this law change was proposed. He wasn't happy about it.

To gain an E cat license is simple. You have to own an E cat gun safe. No less than 6mm thick with a min of 5 lever action in the door.

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Rangi, you are absolutely correct.
My two brothers and I has air rifles from a very young age. we learned PDQ that they killed, and killing poor bloody fantails and sparrows also made our bums warm!!
Thanks, Dad!!!
But we became damn good field shots and I have shot a helluva lot of deer.

Of all the deer I have shot at over the years, I have actually MISSED 5 or 6.
Lost ONE that I KNOW i shot, hit and never found, bloody little Jap deer..... Boasting? TOO BLOODY RIGHT!!!!!
How can I say this? because of paragraph one.

All that contributed to being heavily involved with the NZDA for a whole BUNCH of years, as a shooter, hunter, rangemaster, Mountain safety council as a firearms instructer and of course SAR duties.

Should the new breed of air arms be licensed? Should the OWNERS be licensed? Emphatically NO. to quote petefj40, End of story.

We are far too legislated as it is. should we licence and control everything? No. Encourage education and training, make the perpetrator of crimes with arms responsible for their actions, none of this codswallop of I was pissed, drugged, unhappy because my cousin slapped my cheeky face when I was 7 yrs old and scarred my psyche. GET A GRIP!!!!

but that's only MY opinion........lol

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Moriarty wrote:Rangi, you are absolutely correct.
My two brothers and I has air rifles from a very young age. we learned PDQ that they killed, and killing poor bloody fantails and sparrows also made our bums warm!!
Thanks, Dad!!!
But we became damn good field shots and I have shot a helluva lot of deer.

Of all the deer I have shot at over the years, I have actually MISSED 5 or 6.
Lost ONE that I KNOW i shot, hit and never found, bloody little Jap deer..... Boasting? TOO BLOODY RIGHT!!!!!
How can I say this? because of paragraph one.

All that contributed to being heavily involved with the NZDA for a whole BUNCH of years, as a shooter, hunter, rangemaster, Mountain safety council as a firearms instructer and of course SAR duties.

Should the new breed of air arms be licensed? Should the OWNERS be licensed? Emphatically NO. to quote petefj40, End of story.

We are far too legislated as it is. should we licence and control everything? No. Encourage education and training, make the perpetrator of crimes with arms responsible for their actions, none of this codswallop of I was pissed, drugged, unhappy because my cousin slapped my cheeky face when I was 7 yrs old and scarred my psyche. GET A GRIP!!!!

but that's only MY opinion........lol

The surest thing in the world is, "change" guys.
Our air guns aren't the same as they used to be when you where 7. So naturally the laws WILL change.
It's just a matter of time. :wink:

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 am

The law probably should change given the mindset of kids today. The likes of you guys (Moriarty and rangi) would have grown up with firearms of all sorts and had learnt to respect them, as i did. I mean anyone that points a firearm (loaded or unloaded) at someone whether it be air or powder should get a smack up the side of the head. Did you see the episode of target testing hunting shops...was last year i think?? I was was the only one in hamilton that didn't sell one without asking for id!! no wonder theres hoodrats rolling round shooting bus stops.
the lethality of air powered weapons has been there for ages, people have always been getting hurt by them. It took until sept 8th last year for a death apparently. Just what a newspaper article said. If a higher incidence of airgun related crime occurs then yes I'd support the rule being changed but not based on the actions of a few unstable teenagers that don't give a shit. The law should target all arms offenders equally. None of this diversion or slap on the wrist bs for youths.
Just a random piece of info too...We sell far more airguns to lifestyle block owners or elderly people who just want to shoot magpies or rabbits in their yards/gardens than selling them to parents who want to teach their kids. Probably just another sign that parents are becoming less inclined to introduce children to firearms. I don't understand why the public is so fearful.....must be media or movies or somthing.

Return to “Hunting”