fire arms liecence

bb402c
Hard Yaka

fire arms liecence

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

what is need to get a gun liecence obvisouly a safe what sort of ? do they ask you ?etc etc

skid
Tyre Man

Re: fire arms liecence

Postby skid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:30 pm

bb402c wrote:what is need to get a gun liecence obvisouly a safe what sort of ? do they ask you ?etc etc

Brains and an ability to spell properly
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Depends on licence category. A cat is normal licence and you need a lockable cupboard or means of locking the rifle so it can not be removed (wall brackets etc) and the police firearms officer will come and inspect. Had mine in a cupboard under the steps with a deadbolt fited but now have an E cat safe so no worries anymore (that thing is heavy and bolted to the floor/wall).

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:41 pm

skid wrote:
bb402c wrote:what is need to get a gun liecence obvisouly a safe what sort of ? do they ask you ?etc etc

So you don't have a licence skid? :lol: :wink:

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Brains and an ability to spell properly[/quote]

you are quick boy just rember im only a me can nick

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:57 pm

DaveM wrote:
skid wrote:

So you don't have a licence skid? :lol: :wink:

nope, bit i rully wont one aye, git teh form und evrythng aye

gist git ta full it owt und sind it in

thin i kin shewt sum guns aye

*CHILLAX BRO.*

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Heath wrote:Depends on licence category. A cat is normal licence and you need a lockable cupboard or means of locking the rifle so it can not be removed (wall brackets etc) and the police firearms officer will come and inspect. Had mine in a cupboard under the steps with a deadbolt fited but now have an E cat safe so no worries anymore (that thing is heavy and bolted to the floor/wall).

was going to use the wardrobe in spare room with a lockable door and then inside build a another cuboard inside that can also be locked .then do i need a another compartment in side that for amo and bolt ???

kruza wazza
Hard Yaka

Postby kruza wazza » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:04 pm

ammo and bolt must be in seperate locked box, like a small tool box. w

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:05 pm

There used to be gun racks for sale on trade me for pretty cheap they just screw on to your wall mine is in my wardrobe and the inspector said it was fine. I never had anywhere to lock the bolts and ammo when i got mine .

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:14 pm

so yours is just in a lockable wardrobe ?? and the gun rack is one of those locking ones

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm

No lock on the wardrobe but the rack is lockable.

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:20 pm

so if the wardrobe was lockablbe with another built in compartment wouldnt have to have rack ??

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:26 pm

From what i have been told that probably be fine i think it says somewhere in the manual you get from the police that it basically only has to stop kids and opportunist criminals.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:30 pm

skid wrote:
nope, bit i rully wont one aye, git teh form und evrythng aye

gist git ta full it owt und sind it in

thin i kin shewt sum guns aye

:lol: Lucky I got mine when it was easier

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:31 pm

From NZ Police Web site

How to obtain or renew a firearms licence

If you are 16 years or over, you can apply for or renew a licence at your local police station. Download the Application for a New Zealand Firearms Licence form. You must apply in person at an Arms Officer.

Bring with you:

* Your old licence (if you have one)
* One recent passport style photo
* Three documents that prove your identity (passport, birth certificate, drivers licence, Photo ID, credit card/bank card)
* Contact details of two referees. One referee must be your spouse or next of kin, the other must be someone who is over 20 years and not related to you. You will need to provide their full name, address, date of birth and phone number.
* Post Shop receipt for fees.

Application fees (incl. GST) are payable at any Post Shop:

* Standard licence: $123.75 - For a new firearms licence or renewal of a licence before expiry.
* Visitor's licence: $25.00 - For any person visiting New Zealand for less than 12 months. Includes any application for an endorsement to the licence to possess a pistol and/or Millitary-style semi-automatic rifle or shotgun for competition purposes.
* Dealer's licence: $200.00 - For a new dealer's licence or renewal of a dealer's licence.
* Standard licence expired: $236.25 - For any person whose previous firearms licence either expired, or was a "life time licence" which was deemed revoked.
* Standard licence replacement: $25.00 - For a replacement firearms licence (eg, current licence lost/stolen/damaged, change of name).
* Standard licence endorsement(s): $200.00 - For one or more endorsements to a standard firearms licence, for the posession of; Target pistols ("B" endorsement), Millitary-style semi-automatic rifles or shotguns [MSSA] ("E" endorsement), a collection of pistols or restricted weapons ("C" Collectors or Museum endorsement), Pistols or restricted weapons for performing a play/film/re-enactment ("C" Theatrical endorsement), Pistols or restricted weapons for hire or sale ("F" endorsement - dealers or their employees).
* Dealer's gun show consent: $50.00 - Application by a dealer for consent for a gun show.

Types of firearms licence

If you are 16 years or over and have or use a firearm (except under immediate supervision of a licence holder) you need a firearms licence.

A standard firearms licence allows you to have and use sporting type shotguns and rifles. You also need this licence if you are aged 16 and 17 years and wish to buy or use an airgun. Standard licences are valid for 10 years. A licence holder will require an endorsement to:
* Own pistols (B endorsement)
* Collect firearms, or stage theatrical performances involving firearms (C endorsement)
* Own or possess military style semi-automatic rifles or shot guns (E endorsement)

A visitor's licence is for a person visiting New Zealand and is valid for 12 months, or when the person leaves (which ever is shorter). Applicants must show they are a bona fide shooter in their own country. People intending to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months must apply for a standard licence.

A dealer's Licence is for arms dealers who buy, sell or make firearms by way of business. This licence is valid for one year. People who hire out firearms also require a licence.

The Arms Code

The Arms Code is a firearms safety manual compiled by the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council and the New Zealand Police. You can download a PDF version of the Arms Code [36 page PDF, minus cover, 1236 KB]. It is also available free at all Police stations.

The Arms Code forms the basis of the Firearms Safety Test which must be sat by all firearms licence applicants.

Safe firearms storage

Firearms must be stored in the manner set out in the Arms Regulations. All license holders must install security at their home, regardless of whether or not they actually posess any firearms.

Security requirements are particularly strict for dealers and for licence holders who possess pistols, restricted weapons or military style semi-automatics (MSSAs).

* You must never put a firearm where a child could reach it
* You must store firearms and ammunition separate or disable the firearms, or both
* You must keep your firearms unloaded and locked away in a cupboard or storeroom

If these requirements are not observed, your licence may be revoked.
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm

it must just be pretty much common sense tho ?? do the test you with questions

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 pm

bb402c wrote:it must just be pretty much common sense tho ?? do the test you with questions

go to ya local cop shop tomorrow and ask

they will give you everything you need including a booklet to study

they then test you and hopefully you get all the answers out of the booklet

*CHILLAX BRO.*

bb402c
Hard Yaka

Postby bb402c » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:44 pm

ohk will do luckly we on first name basis down there that must help aye lol

kruza wazza
Hard Yaka

Postby kruza wazza » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:21 pm

the test is 33 questions and you must get 30 right( or they shoot you haha)warwick

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm

If you look at the test paper there is another test on the back, the questions are different but the answers are the same, so if your not sure about a question check the other test as well this is what the dude who gave me the test told me.
It may be different now not sure but its not hard anyway.

hillfilly
Driving Ms Daisy

Postby hillfilly » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 am

Son did got his last year.
Questions pretty easy, mostly common sense.
Even I got them all right.
Here they ask you to attend a simple firearms course.
A couple of hours , they show a vid that is years old lol
and you sit the test.
You get a couple of people for referees which someone either police or the firearms guy goes and talks to.
They check out where everything is going to be kept,
and if you check out bob's your uncle ( not Moriarty unless his is your uncle lol)
you have a license.

Guns here kept in a locked compartment,
and son has ammo and bolts looked in a small safe in his room.
Although he has built a gun cabinet , where they are is less conspicious.
Good luck, keep safe, identify your target correctly before firing.
Not what if, but why not

Satalite
Hard Yaka

Postby Satalite » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:22 pm

If you manage to fail, you shouldn't have a licence, it is all common sense and safety, I got mine a couple of years ago and it is pretty simple just make sure you know your 7 basic rules!

I have a locker in my wardrobe just screwed to the wall so it cannot be removed, the inspector was happy with that.

Goodluck to ya!

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Satalite wrote:If you manage to fail, you shouldn't have a licence, it is all common sense and safety, I got mine a couple of years ago and it is pretty simple just make sure you know your 7 basic rules!

I have a locker in my wardrobe just screwed to the wall so it cannot be removed, the inspector was happy with that.

Goodluck to ya!

They seem to have tightened their rules on cabinets, I faild mine recently with the same cabinet I have had for 10 years that has been looked at 3 times :roll:
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

Satalite
Hard Yaka

Postby Satalite » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm

haynzy wrote:
Satalite wrote:If you manage to fail, you shouldn't have a licence, it is all common sense and safety, I got mine a couple of years ago and it is pretty simple just make sure you know your 7 basic rules!

Goodluck to ya!

They seem to have tightened their rules on cabinets, I faild mine recently with the same cabinet I have had for 10 years that has been looked at 3 times :roll:

We just had ours checked recently when moving house and it was all good :D

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm

hers a curly one for ya...........

what if ya have no intention of actually buying a shooter as soon as you get a licence.

do they still wanna see a cabinet :?:

surely not

*CHILLAX BRO.*

vvega
Hard Yaka

Postby vvega » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

yeap
you have to have one before you will be issued
Kiwi4x4

Satalite
Hard Yaka

Postby Satalite » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:13 pm

skid wrote:hers a curly one for ya...........

what if ya have no intention of actually buying a shooter as soon as you get a licence.

surely not

my brother just got his firearm licence and he just told them that he didn't have a firearm and wasn't planning on keeping it at his place when he was to buy one ( i believe they will check it when he gets one), they had no problem with that, he still received his licence with no cabinet :D

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Satalite wrote:
skid wrote:hers a curly one for ya...........

surely not

my brother just got his firearm licence and he just told them that he didn't have a firearm and wasn't planning on keeping it at his place when he was to buy one ( i believe they will check it when he gets one), they had no problem with that, he still received his licence with no cabinet :D

thats crazy! every different inspector has a different take on the law. There is now nothing to stop him buying a gun and keeping it loaded under his bed. i got mine 5 or so years ago and as much as it was time consuming it was a waste of time the might as well of just given it to me with no test. The inspector filled out all the questions for me, when he asked what i would do if i woke up and heard someone stealing my car and i said i'd go out and shoot them he just wrote down dial 111. it's all a bit of a joke but then don't get me started on the laws of buying second hand guns...
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:03 pm

I got my firearms while i was flatting.

Inspector passed this shit as fk MDF box with tiney padlock and wire latch off as my safe.

I explained to him that i'd be keeping no rifles in the flat anyway as the old man has a proper steel safe with room for all our guns.

He was fine with that- but told me he'd not like to see anything larger than a .22 kept in there :lol:

I like using my firearms licence in town whenever i'm asked for ID. I look way cooler in that pic that on my drivers licence. 8)
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:15 am

My Father in law just got his licence and has no intention of having a firearm. He still had to have a means of securing a firearm in the house to get his licence. He wrapped a chain around rafters in the roof with a padlock.

Return to “Hunting”