Shotgun recoil

elvis
Bush Crasher

Shotgun recoil

Postby elvis » Tue May 21, 2013 6:21 pm

hey guys i recently purchased a stoeger 2000 and have been firing all sorts of rounds through it when i put 3 inch steel 36 gr cartridges in her she kicks like a mule( ive used my mates double barrel which more often then not would fire both barrels at once and thats got nothing on the amount of kick these loads have) and they will jam more often then not,every other load in 2 3/4 inch from 28gr taget loads to 40 gr magnum loads(all in lead) fire no problems and with little recoil.
im trying to find the answer to why she is kicking so much with these loads is it because they are steel or do 3 inch shells just have more kick cheers for any advice troy

trucked
Hard Yaka

Re: Shotgun recoil

Postby trucked » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

the fps of steel is higher than that of lead, due to steel being lighter it needs to go faster to give it the same impact on the target/knock down power. when I'm out duck shooting I can't say I actually feel the recoil I'm guessing due to duck fever and concentration.

I've got a Beretta extrema 2 so that probably helps as well.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

steel loads are typically faster than the same lead load. steel needs every bit of speed you can get and as steel doesn't deform you can fire it out harder without damaging the pellets.

the stoger is inertia operated. i don't know how that will effect the recoil. check the action is not hammering the stop to hard.

make sure you use a more open choke with steel.

with that sort of recoil i would use lighter steel loads, wide open choke and decoy them in real close.

mack
Bush Crasher

Postby mack » Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 pm

hey mate
steel needs to travel faster compared to lead to kill so more powder = more kick also with the inertia guns they use recoil to cycle loads so they kick more than a gas gun seems to my old man has a stoger which he put a limbsaver recoil pad on made a huge difference ive just bought a benelli m2 which kicks more than my gas did but the recoil system built into the stock helps alot with the limbsaver put on the stoger the two would be on par for recoil so if its bothering you id invest the 80 dollars in a limbsaver cause it will help your shooting alot

elvis
Bush Crasher

Postby elvis » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Cheers for the info guys think tommorow ill change out to a cylinder choke from modified and see what that does then ill buy one of those recoil reducers and see how much diffrence it makes. Ive done a lot of searching online tonight and found out "apparently" the 2 things that affect recoil of shells is the shot weight and velocity. Theres online recoil calculators and putting in the information from the ammunition makers(falcon) website
super steel 3" = 36 gram 1450 fps
sp40 2 3/4" =40 gram 1300fps

one calculator says
super steel is 40.5 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy.
sp40 is 55.2 Foot Pounds of Recoil Energy.
Another calculator puts them even at .73 pounds Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs).
just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet im going to play round with lighter loads to. so im learning a lot getting into this duckshooting game last weeks lesson was don't buy a slab of ammo unless you like it 1st.

mack
Bush Crasher

Postby mack » Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 pm

ahh falcon ammo youll have alot of trouble with it eley seler and bellot and b&p cycling threw the stoger they dont like some of the brass's and wont pull the shell out causing it to jam old mans one 2 year old now has only ever run perfect on remington or federal

mack
Bush Crasher

Postby mack » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm

also depending on where you shoot and the distance your shots are id run improved cylinder this time of the season then towards the end swap to modified as ducks will decoy harder so longer shots ect

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 pm

calcs will give recoil power but not felt recoil.
theres a few more factors like gun fit, noise, etc.

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 am

if your noticing the recoil you arent concentrating enough on what your shooting!!

if youd done any research on the stoegers before purchasing you would have found out that they all kick like mules compared to any gas gun. a limbsaver will help with the recoil alot
but when you consider $800 for a new stoeger $ 80ish for a limbsaver you would likely have been better saving an extra couple of hundred and get a second hand Beretta which dont have trouble cycling any loads from 28g to 36g and also have a much much lower felt recoil

on another note if your mates double barrel is firing both barrels at once (assuming its a single trigger setup) it has some serious issues and i personally would not go anywhere near it until a gunsmith had sorted the problem.

elvis
Bush Crasher

Postby elvis » Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Hey keithal i borrowed my mates double barrel for a few months at the start of this year and when i had it i took to a gun smith and got her all fixed. the only reason i bought the stoeger was because i didnt want to have to pay alot for a gun if i didnt enjoy duck shooting and if i didnt id sell it on as they seem to have a high resale value most seem to sell for around $500-$600 second hand on trademe,to be honest when im shooting the 40 gram leads through it i love it but as soon as i load her up with steel shes a whole diffrent ball game.its amazing how you dont seem to feel the kick when your shooting something out of the sky-its on the car ride home when you have a dead arm thats the problem.
mack your right thats exactly how the shells are getting hooked up ill go into town tommorow and pick up some remington or federal and try them only this time ill buy a few boxes not a whole slab.

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Thu May 23, 2013 1:34 am

elvis wrote:the only reason i bought the stoeger was because i didnt want to have to pay alot for a gun if i didnt enjoy duck shooting and if i didnt id sell it on as they seem to have a high resale value most seem to sell for around $500-$600 second hand on trademe,
to be honest when im shooting the 40 gram leads through it i love it but as soon as i load her up with steel shes a whole diffrent ball game.its amazing how you dont seem to feel the kick when your shooting something out of the sky-its on the car ride home when you have a dead arm thats the problem.

Fair call on the resale value they do seem to have a decent resale

as for 40gram lead vs 36 gram steel the 36 gram steel will have a lot more powder to get the pellets moving at the higher velocity it(steel) travels at.

Return to “Hunting”