Facebook taking over forums

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Facebook taking over forums

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:00 am

Does anybody else thing that it's really lame that Facebook and other big American companies are compromising the future of forums?

I've noticed that the NZ off-roader forum has a lot of activity that otherwise would be on ORE. No discredit to those guys, they have really good intentions, their contribution to the community is commendable, and I honestly don't think they intended to create a mini-forum... But more wanted to have social media presence like any other business/non profit/organization in the world these days. Which is totally fair enough.

But personally I think it's a shame, because it has inadvertently sort of compromised ORE's position as the go-to online resource and community for the 4x4 community in NZ.

I'm interested to hear fellow members/supporters opinion on this.

Personally I would like to see ORE shine again, it was/is a strong brotherhood, but obviously users need to see value. What about vendor discounts for supporters, tech libraries, trail maps, merchandise etc. ??

It seems NZ is too small for competition in niche industries, and if everyone worked together it would net a greater end result...

Thoughts, gentlemen?
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Facebook taking over forums

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:55 am

Dont have f.b. but how ever there are a lot less builds going on in here and quite a bit less tech conversations.
Just from what i see

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:05 am

I have noticed it but I also realise that you won't get the depth of experience on there like you will on here. A lot of young guys are on there and you get all the newbie questions as there is no search functions. One thing I do like is the ability to pick up bargains and buy and sell without fees
DIRTY OLD HILUX
022 519 7700

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:13 am

not on facebook, don't see the point or have time.

I know my build is going slow but wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without ORE. googling for info is nothing compared to asking on here.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 am

all of the above but I do use the wifes FB to keep up with what ever is going on there.. as you can't often get into a fb page without an acc.. bit of a shame but its what is happening.. the detail on a forum is where it is at for me as you don't get that on fb.. :wink:

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:21 am

Not on Facebook.
Not into posting what I do, where I go, what I eat, just to see how many likes I get..

But yea because of Facebook have noticed especially the last 24 months this forums build threads drop right off which is a shame..

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:43 am

a lot of shit gets thrown around on here.....stopped a lot of the older members posting .......that's what I get with chatting with a few......Facebook buy sell is good but the shit some get up to on there ,well yeah that's entertaining :wink:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:36 pm

I think its inevitable too with the time passing and the younger people coming through . Its just so much easier to use facebook than navigate to a webpage, sign up and write posts. And with the tagging feature you can hit up specific people a lot faster than the private message system on here.

Maybe this forum should jump on the bandwagon and start a facebook page to rival NZ offroader, maybe continue the legacy before its too late. I know I haven't been on here long but I have used forums for years and much prefer their layout but facebooks just easier.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:18 pm

fh2014 wrote:Maybe this forum should jump on the bandwagon and start a facebook page to rival NZ offroader, maybe continue the legacy before its too late. I know I haven't been on here long but I have used forums for years and much prefer their layout but facebooks just easier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/99559947826/
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Facebook has decimated three of my favorite automotive forums. it is a real shame. Facebook can be so fractured, Forums rock. i make a effort to put stuff on the forums if it is of interest.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:46 pm

yeti wrote:a lot of shit gets thrown around on here.....stopped a lot of the older members posting .......that's what I get with chatting with a few......Facebook buy sell is good but the shit some get up to on there ,well yeah that's entertaining :wink:

Fark me Yeti. How very unlike you to be so profound (and goddamn accurate :D ) This site was once the absolute shizzle, but the joy of open forums is that anyone can join and have an opinion and even lots of opinions. It just gets to the point where you can no longer be bothered with all the bullshit and stop coming onto these sites.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:55 pm

rokhound wrote:
yeti wrote:a lot of shit gets thrown around on here.....stopped a lot of the older members posting .......that's what I get with chatting with a few......Facebook buy sell is good but the shit some get up to on there ,well yeah that's entertaining :wink:

Fark me Yeti. How very unlike you to be so profound (and goddamn accurate :D ) This site was once the absolute shizzle, but the joy of open forums is that anyone can join and have an opinion and even lots of opinions. It just gets to the point where you can no longer be bothered with all the bullshit and stop coming onto these sites.

own jeep always right........... :mrgreen:

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:58 pm

mercutio wrote:
fh2014 wrote:Maybe this forum should jump on the bandwagon and start a facebook page to rival NZ offroader, maybe continue the legacy before its too late. I know I haven't been on here long but I have used forums for years and much prefer their layout but facebooks just easier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/99559947826/

What d'ya know. Joined.

Still closed though, where nzo is open.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:57 pm

rokhound wrote:

Yep, so much IP is lost now. FB is terrible for inaccurate crap put on, at least with the forum you can look back and admire stuff and work out whos for real and who likes to type rubbish/gobbledegook/aimless drivel. And all ORE seems to be now is all about Terreno's! (no offence Terreno owners)

Now, how about them tahs :lol:
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:25 am

Have noticed there is not as much info flowing here but as said, the info here is generally of a much higher quality than the FB pages. There is so much crap on the FB pages and very little info that can/should be used. The member numbers on FB are what makes it, if you need to buy/sell stuff its great and if you need instant info (as long as its not critical info) or if you are stuck in the back paddock of someones property and you shouldnt be there and need an urgent tow out before the farmer loads a couple shots into his double barrel.

Anyway hope ORE carries on, its been a huge help for me over the years.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 pm

ORE will always be here, after all it has been here 13 years this december. That's a hell of a lot longer than facebook :mrgreen: Whether you guys are is another question 8)
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 am

mike wrote:ORE will always be here, after all it has been here 13 years this december. That's a hell of a lot longer than facebook :mrgreen: Whether you guys are is another question 8)

:-)
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 am

I'm a regular user of both. Facebook is much easier to upload to (no intermediate like photo bucket etc required). I do see builds that happen on Facebook and don't get on here,which is sad. It's mainly sad because the cataloging on face book is almost non-existent.
Builds on here are a useful reference for hundreds of people for many years. On facebook you have to be a member of the right group or have the right friends to even know that a build exists. Even then, if you don't check FB at the right time you may still miss an awesome build.
I'm not active on my build at the moment, but when I am you can be sure I make the effort to get everything that goes on facebook onto here as well. But it is an effort.
It's a shame (or in some cases a blessing) that a lot of the new comers to the scene may never need to stumble across ORE because FB can provide easy quick (often low quality) answers, and as such may never develop the sense of loyalty that a lot of us have to various forums. With no sense of belonging or loyalty,there is no drove to make the effort to do a build thread.
I'm doing a build thread because hopefully it helps some people, as many other threads have helped me. Also I can get feedback (and compliments) from people I respect.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:56 am

Checkerhead wrote:I'm a regular user of both. Facebook is much easier to upload to (no intermediate like photo bucket etc required). I do see builds that happen on Facebook and don't get on here,which is sad. It's mainly sad because the cataloging on face book is almost non-existent.
Builds on here are a useful reference for hundreds of people for many years. On facebook you have to be a member of the right group or have the right friends to even know that a build exists. Even then, if you don't check FB at the right time you may still miss an awesome build.
I'm not active on my build at the moment, but when I am you can be sure I make the effort to get everything that goes on facebook onto here as well. But it is an effort.
It's a shame (or in some cases a blessing) that a lot of the new comers to the scene may never need to stumble across ORE because FB can provide easy quick (often low quality) answers, and as such may never develop the sense of loyalty that a lot of us have to various forums. With no sense of belonging or loyalty,there is no drove to make the effort to do a build thread.
I'm doing a build thread because hopefully it helps some people, as many other threads have helped me. Also I can get feedback (and compliments) from people I respect.

This guy is spot on. And this thread just "encouraged" me to update my SJ413 build thread. I'm a regular user of both FB and ORE, and each has its place I think (as summarised by this guy above)

Long live ORE I say.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Although people come and go on here at least the tech stays in one place and is searchable.

Problems that have popped up and been solved here are an invaluable resource.

FB is another tool but no moderators so it could become full of kitten pics.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:17 pm

I've seen it with other forums, not so much the drift to FB its that there are less nubee's and as the older guys drift off to other things the forums get less and less
Personally I wast enough time on forums and thats easy its a glance at the sections that interest me or like this site new posts and look at the good stuff..... FB you have to wade through all the crap pic's of cats, motovational posters and life statements lol no thanks.... the misses has a fur ball (cat) that more than enough of that for me and my dog.... motivation comes in bottles of black stuff and as for all that emotional bs.... I'm a real man go wear a dress if you feel the need to be emotional and don't tell me, I don't need to know, I don't care lol

Oh and for those that remember me I still have a couple of builds going on..... one of them is on here just a wee bit down on the list (hopefully soon...) But I will be starting a real Bling'ing new build for a mate lol keep watching this space

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:39 pm

all this talk about cats and kittens. could not help but take the piss
[url]Image[/url]

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Botón_Me_gusta_svg.png

:mrgreen:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:51 pm

It does have it's up side though......

Today's Facebook questions included

"What's a Drag link"

and some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to buy a winch attatchment for a husqvarna chainsaw and fit it with a wireless controller.......not grasping the fact you still have to hold onto the damn thing to squeeze the trigger gaurd.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:and some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to buy a winch attatchment for a husqvarna chainsaw and fit it with a wireless controller.......not grasping the fact you still have to hold onto the damn thing to squeeze the trigger gaurd.

They look like a cool but expensive tool. Be good in a pinch...or like the vid, moving logs etc.

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:22 pm

f**K holding that thing :lol:

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:40 pm

I agree, Facebook pages are hitting many forums hard. And the Facebook structure is so poorly suited to this type of purpose it is not funny.

I live vicariously through my partners Facebook. Have joined some dozen or so 4WD pages and it is the most frustrating thing ever to find some gem of info, then have to remember which page it was you saw it on before it drops away. And that good stuf is very quickly drowned in a sea of mindless fully sic bro chatter.

Several of the Suzuki forums I followed have all but stopped dead, Shropshire, ZukiKrawlers, SuzukiUK, SuzukiForum, Zuwharrie, even including ORE at times and the Zuk board of Pirate. Granted, this may in part be due to the increasing age of the traditional Suzuki 4WD's with a bit lesser uptake of the modern models. But all the same it is disappointing. Because the Facebook format sucks.

I don't mind kitten pics though, they are all cute and fluffy. But keep that shit on Facebook.

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:51 pm

[facebook 4wd group] I have a Image tyre for sale [facebook 4wd group]

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 pm

lilpigzuk wrote:[facebook 4wd group] I have a Image tyre for sale [facebook 4wd group]

Do you sell disk breaks as well and when are you going to start wreaking landrovers ;-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 am

5k cash what's out there?

Almost comment everytime :mrgreen:
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Return to “Feedback”