Garston-Bannockburn OR Piano Flat-Roxburgh

DesmondD
Driver/Navigator

Garston-Bannockburn OR Piano Flat-Roxburgh

Postby DesmondD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:35 pm

In the next few weeks we are tiki-touring a couple of overseas visitors through the SI, and I need to get from Lumsden to Alexandra - and Q'town and Gore highway routes are both long ways around. Does anybody please know the current condition of the Piano Flat-to-Roxburgh or the Garston-to-Bannockburn roads? We're in my shiny Bighorn with no other vehicle in tandem, and very minimal recovery gear (strop doesn't count if I'm on my own, so it's really only a tyre deflator, a jack and a spade!). Any advice or other suggestion please?

Eg: with respect to Garston-Bannockburn, I found a site saying that going from Bannockburn there are two entry points and one is decidedly not suitable for a shiny - so I'm a bit scared I may end up on that "unsuitable" bit if I come up from Garston.

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Re: Garston-Bannockburn OR Piano Flat-Roxburgh

Postby downunderxj » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 pm

I did this road about 4 years ago from the Garston end and apart from one ford it was a quite pleasant gravel back country trip. I was driving a 4wd Mazda MPV (diesel) with 7 adults on board and quite a bit of gear.

It was definitely a well worth while trip, the scenery and history was great.

I was aware of the rough bit coming down into Bannockburn but missed the turn off as it is not marked at all.

So do not worry that you might end up on it by mistake - it would have to be a huge mistake :lol:

Enjoy the countryside
Ian
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 am

you can go two ways, Garston to Bannockburn via the Nevis valley: an easy drive in 2wd and very safe. The other way via piano flat and up the whitcombe rd over the old man range and down to Alex would be beyond the capability of a standard bighorn, with limited 4wd recovery gear and knowledge of the route/driving skills required. My advice is to take the Nevis valley route for your own and others with you safety. The rough bit you are talking about is the Carrick town track and it aint rought at all.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

DesmondD
Driver/Navigator

Postby DesmondD » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:10 am

Hey, thanks guys, very helpful.

As albundy suggests that Garston-Bannocjburn is an easy drive in 2wd, can I take it that the ford that downunderxj mentions is typically no more than axle deep? I certainly don't have a snorkel - but I know to keep an eye on the weather and the up-country rainfall, and to chat to anybody coming out.

Finally, am I right that the trip might take up to 4 hours?

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 pm

The ford at the time had a steep entrance and exit due to heavy rain only a couple of days before. However it is definitely not snorkel depth.

Hard to remember, but I think that was the only time on the trip where I contemplated putting the vehicle into 4wd, as Al says it is a 2wd gravel road.

As to 4 hours, don't really remember, I know it wasn't quick tho' so you may be close.
'95 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

1936 Ford Flathead V8 Colonial Cab (restoration project)

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 pm

I took two day to go through, heaps to look at and good campsites. fecking cold though when a southerly blows through. Just re-read your original post. If you go up the whitcombe rd and over the old man range, you can get down directly into Roxburgh via the old cattle droving track, steep, slippery and all grass all the way down, but a shit load of fun.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:02 pm

downunderxj wrote:The ford at the time had a steep entrance and exit due to heavy rain only a couple of days before. However it is definitely not snorkel depth.

Hard to remember, but I think that was the only time on the trip where I contemplated putting the vehicle into 4wd, as Al says it is a 2wd gravel road.

As to 4 hours, don't really remember, I know it wasn't quick tho' so you may be close.

If the fords have been washed out, 10 minutes with a shovel and you should have the tops knocked off.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:07 am

I've done both of these tracks and like Al said don't even consider the Whitcomb rd track without a couple of extra vehicles snorkels and full recovery gear. I can't imagine it being to bad at the moment as other than two days after xmas we have had bugger all rain down here for ages but not something i would do on my own.
Garston to bannockburn would be the one not very hard at all but a really nice job 4 hours would be about right from start to finish.

F.Y.C 4wd
Driver/Navigator

Postby F.Y.C 4wd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:28 pm

hi
i did both of these tracks this week deffintly dont do from piano flat to alex by your self there was some rather deep holes and it rained even more since i was there the nevis road sounds like a far better option as long as it hasnt rained alot on the few days befor as some off the fords get a little deep

DesmondD
Driver/Navigator

Postby DesmondD » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Ok, many thanks to all - the message is pretty clear. We leave Lower Hutt tomorrow, so we'll see how we get on.
Cheers.

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Plenty of rain down here to at the moment so rivers will be high.

contour
Hard Yaka

Postby contour » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm

the roxburgh to paino flat is quite dry.
a standered suziki on road tyres got over couple weeks ago.
no wet slippery grass anywhere on the road. unless you GO OFF IT.

As long as you take your time and check holes befor you enter its quite easy i do it in 2WD all the time. (but in saying that i know it like the back of my hand)

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”