South Island Tag-Along Jan 12th to 26th 2016

billfish
Driver/Navigator

South Island Tag-Along Jan 12th to 26th 2016

Postby billfish » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:16 pm

If anybody is interested, we (a bunch of jafas) are planning a 15 day self-drive, pay your own way, south Island tag-along Safari in mid January.

Departing Auckland on the 11th the trip starts in Blenheim on 12th of Jan 2016 and ends 15 days later in Kaikoura on the 26th. We will be heading off South via the Molesworth before turning West over to the Coast, then plunging down deep into South Westland to the very end of the road. From there we'll make our crossing into Central Otago before returning up through the Canterbury Highcountry and then finally turning Eastward and up into the Clarence to complete the loop.

A fair bit of tarmac is of course unavoidable but you can be assured this back country and off-road adventure will include many of the best bits, iconic trails and off-road highlights that our great country has to offer. Whats more we will be doing it all in style and in, we hope, great company. Sampling good wines and local fare along the way will be a feature of this trip and special access to some of NZ's top wineries and vineyards and craft breweries is planned along the journey.

People are welcome to join us for part of all of the trip which will include a few days stopover in the Queenstown area so people can chill out or take a spin down to Milford or whatever - or stay with the group to tackle some of the local tracks. People are welcome to camp if they choose but the trip is planned around motel and station/lodge accommodation with some a very special stays planned making it an ideal adventure for partners.

While this is not intended to be a hardcore 4wd trip by any means you will certainly need a capable and reliable vehicle with good ground clearance and decent all-terrain tyres as a minimum. Low range capability would be advisable and snorkels while not necessarily essential would probably be a comfort. As conditions permit many of the off-road segments will include stream and river crossings of varying depths up to maybe 500mm which would be our probable self imposed limit. Our team will include a number of experienced 4WD enthusiast with highly capable vehicles to guide and encourage the less experience driver but you should be prepared to have a go at the odd challenge along the way. Advice on what recovery equipment you will need to bring will be provided but will include the basics.

If you are interested drop me a PM of email at kiwibill@gmail.com and I'll tell you more. We are very keen to hear from anybody who might be able to suggest a good idea or track not to miss etc especially in the upper West Coast region. We have found that most people in our community of 4WDers are pretty good buggers and usually have a little gem or two to share - and we are always open to them.

Cheers Bill
kiwibill@gmail.com

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Re: South Island Tag-Along Jan 12th to 26th 2016

Postby Smurf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:07 pm

We might be keen to join your convoy for a few days. Sounds like a good trip Bill.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Seems that lots of South Island trips are planned for Christmas and New Year.

Here's another one which finishes as Bill's trip starts ......
South Island Self Drive Tag along; Led Self-drive/catered/ accommodated expedition leaving Auckland 26 Dec, returning 15 Jan covering mainly off road tracks in North West SI, Canterbury, Central Otago and more. Accommodation is Camping and DOC Huts. Stunning Scenery and Tracks, suited to truck type 4WD. 8 Years’ experience leading similar expeditions and all tracks graded for difficulty and GPS Co-ordinated. This is a “join when and where” type of safari and is self-paid (no money to me). The full 3 week trip estimated to cost you around $2500, covering food, gas, rustic accommodation and ferry crossing included for 2 people.
Come and join husband and wife team. For people whom are like minded and enjoy adventure. Limited spaces are available.
Contact Paul on paulberry@xtra.co.nz or 0212745617 for more info – we are always willing to share information that will promote 4x4 and the outdoors.

billfish
Driver/Navigator

Postby billfish » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Update: 16th September.

9 vehicles (couples) have registered and paid deposits.

Room for 1 more but be quick.

Cheers Bill

hillfilly
Driving Ms Daisy

Postby hillfilly » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Sounds like it will be a great trip Bill.......
Would have been great to join in and tag along.
As I'm not sure how long my job will be lasting
I will be back at work saving for a new roof .

Have a great trip and will be keeping an eye out for pics.

ps people keep Bill's number in case when on the trip..... way out in the wop wops......
in the middle of the night you hear a car alarm going off :D
Not what if, but why not

billfish
Driver/Navigator

Postby billfish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 am

:mrgreen:

I'm sure i have no idea what you nean. :D Besides, im pretty sure that was Jerry's alarm wasn't it?.

Trip fully booked. Going to be a real pearler.

hillfilly
Driving Ms Daisy

Postby hillfilly » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:19 pm

billfish wrote::mrgreen:

I'm sure i have no idea what you nean. :D Besides, im pretty sure that was Jerry's alarm wasn't it?.

Trip fully booked. Going to be a real pearler.

Well the South Island is the pearl of New Zealand isn't it :D
Not what if, but why not

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:37 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

ZombieWagonNZ
Stropper

Postby ZombieWagonNZ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Ralfie wrote:Seems that lots of South Island trips are planned for Christmas and New Year.

Here's another one which finishes as Bill's trip starts ......
South Island Self Drive Tag along; Led Self-drive/catered/ accommodated expedition leaving Auckland 26 Dec, returning 15 Jan covering mainly off road tracks in North West SI, Canterbury, Central Otago and more. Accommodation is Camping and DOC Huts. Stunning Scenery and Tracks, suited to truck type 4WD. 8 Years’ experience leading similar expeditions and all tracks graded for difficulty and GPS Co-ordinated. This is a “join when and where” type of safari and is self-paid (no money to me). The full 3 week trip estimated to cost you around $2500, covering food, gas, rustic accommodation and ferry crossing included for 2 people.
Come and join husband and wife team. For people whom are like minded and enjoy adventure. Limited spaces are available.
Contact Paul on paulberry@xtra.co.nz or 0212745617 for more info – we are always willing to share information that will promote 4x4 and the outdoors.

Sounds like a like nice trip, but outside of my timeframe.. Have a blast!

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Postby Gardengnome » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi Bill,

It has been mentioned at our club meetings more than a few times by a member local to Hanmer that the Rainbow Molesworth is super dry at the moment. Would be worth double checking it's still open as they do close it from time to time if the fire risk is too great.

Spark arrestors should be considered a must if entering this area. The same can be said for Central Otago.

All the best for the trip.

billfish
Driver/Navigator

Postby billfish » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:33 am

Cheers for that.

Return to “Planning a trip?”