meece4x4
Hard Yaka

Fixing the Daihatsu white face of death Inclinometer

Postby meece4x4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Take one sledgehamer ... err maybe not

step 1 remove Inclinometer from pod use two flathead screwdrivers

step 2 remove plug for light

step 3 carefully unclip front bezel and remove face plate

step 4 turn over and unscrew three screws and carefully tap the ball out of the case
step 5 gently shake the ball until the black front comes back around to the marks on the ball

step 6 on the back of the ball you will see a 1mm wide groove on the inner ball, on the outer ball you will faintly see a dimple where the orginal plastic pin was connected to the ball, gently tap/shake the ball until the groove lines up with the dimple.

Step 7 to replace the pin you will need to find a thick needle from the mrs, ideally you want one around .75mm in diameter, take a wetstone and round the sharp tip off, now here comes the tricky bit….making the hole

Step 8 there are two ways of making the hole, both work, either get a very fine modelling drill (pin drill) and carefully drill through the clear plastic, you only want to drill through the outer plastic NOT the inner ball. Keep the ball upright or you will loose the dampening oil out of the assembly. The other way (and the way I did it) was to heat up your needle with a lighter or candle and carefully push it through the plastic, took two or three goes as the plastic is quite hard and thick.

Step 9 once you have made the hole you then need to check your alignment then push the needle through the hole and into the grove, you don’t want the needle to touch the inner ball, that must rotate freely (the pin is just a guide to stop it turning turtle) once your happy with the depth (Mk1 eyeball it) drop a couple of drops of superglue around the needle and hole, once it cures use a pair of sidecutteres to snap off the rest of the needle … smear some silicone over the needle to seal it (the superglue should to it anyway) check for rotation

Step 10 reassemble the ball into the case and install

Step 11 run up the back of the car in front of you at the lights because you were admiring your new working inclinometer

Hope this helps someone
llıɥ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞɐɯ ʇupıp ı sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

K1W1
Driver/Navigator

Re: Fixing the Daihatsu white face of death Inclinometer

Postby K1W1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Meece

All has gone really well except the super glue won't set/dry! I wonderedif I had got a little of the oil on it but I can't really see how - hmm next step??

meece4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby meece4x4 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 am

K1W1 wrote:Meece

All has gone really well except the super glue won't set/dry! I wonderedif I had got a little of the oil on it but I can't really see how - hmm next step??

ok thats possible as they are filled with some type of oil (I know you can top it back up with gun oil if it leaks out) or it could just be a bad tube of superglue, I use superglue a lot in my model making and have found that the cheap $2 shop stuff wont stick anything but skin, and even the expensive stuff sometime wont cure if it's a little old, however you can force it to set instantly by droping a pinch of baking soda on any type of super glue, failing that try 5 minute arldite or if you have a hot glue gun? try that, that should glue/seal it in one hit.

cheers meece

K1W1
Driver/Navigator

Postby K1W1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Meece

Indeed I did resort to the hot glue gun - went for a drive this am and it worked great on the way out - it locked up on the way back but freed up when I pulled it out of the dash and gave it a wee tap.

If it does so again *& I guess it will) I'll look at adjusting the needle a bit.

Hey many thanks for your help and especially going to all the effort of posting pictures as well as instruction very very much appreciated.

K1w1 8)

K1W1
Driver/Navigator

Postby K1W1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Meece
Got the Inclinometer going well - many thanks.

Can I expand my questions??

I have just done a round trip of 1200k's into Milford Sound and back via Te Anau Manapouri etc =- great weather, great trip nearly got cleaned up by a well to do dude driving towards me on my side of the road not to mention the tour bus hanging wide on a corner way in the depths of Milford - I got white hair now.

On my way back I stopped over night in Wanaka and went in search of an annoying rattle that is somewhere in the left front under body grr didn't find but when I jacked her up I did the wheel bearing check and found that if I gripped the wheel top & bottom it did move!! Hmm I said wheel bearing?? I then gripped side to side but only very slight movement - hmm I said now confused. Alright I thought off with the covers and tighten upon the wheel bearing Hah there's a bloody great free wheeling hub - at this point I put the wheel back on, attached the plastic surround and toddled up to the house for a toiuch of the pirate juice.

Does any of this sound familiar to you (apart from the pirate juice)? any thoights or guidance would be most gratefully accepted.

Cheers

K1W1 :?

meece4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby meece4x4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:39 am

Got the Inclinometer going well - many thanks.

Can I expand my questions??

I have just done a round trip of 1200k's into Milford Sound and back via Te Anau Manapouri etc =- great weather, great trip nearly got cleaned up by a well to do dude driving towards me on my side of the road not to mention the tour bus hanging wide on a corner way in the depths of Milford - I got white hair now.

On my way back I stopped over night in Wanaka and went in search of an annoying rattle that is somewhere in the left front under body grr didn't find but when I jacked her up I did the wheel bearing check and found that if I gripped the wheel top & bottom it did move!! Hmm I said wheel bearing?? I then gripped side to side but only very slight movement - hmm I said now confused. Alright I thought off with the covers and tighten upon the wheel bearing Hah there's a bloody great free wheeling hub - at this point I put the wheel back on, attached the plastic surround and toddled up to the house for a toiuch of the pirate juice.

Does any of this sound familiar to you (apart from the pirate juice)? any thoights or guidance would be most gratefully accepted.

Cheers

K1W1 :?

check that it's not your idler arm K1W1 .. the rubber bushes are known to slog out regualy, i have to do mine for a warrent in a week or so's time, they are a common problem on daihatsu's and cause lots of movement/clattering in the front. funny thing is I have that same rattle .....under the right hand guard, havnt yet managed to track it down but i *think* it's the anti rattle shims in the brakes not doing thier job,

glad the Inclinometer is going well

cheers meece

K1W1
Driver/Navigator

Postby K1W1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Meece

Cheers & thanks for that - Any chance of a picture of what I am looking for with the idler arm? On the rattle - interesting you should mention the anti rattle on the brakes - I had the front brakes donea s part of a warrant service and I don't recall the rattle prior to that mind you I wouldnt bet money on my recall.

Cheers

K1W1

meece4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby meece4x4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Cheers & thanks for that - Any chance of a picture of what I am looking for with the idler arm? On the rattle - interesting you should mention the anti rattle on the brakes - I had the front brakes donea s part of a warrant service and I don't recall the rattle prior to that mind you I wouldnt bet money on my recall.

Cheers

K1W1

heres the pic .. even if yours is ok they are one item that you should keep an eye on ... they are a weak point with these beasties (one of the few) should really be a bearing .. the rubbers do slog out pretty quickly and causes my wheel on that side to have slop at the middle of the wheel rather than top and bottom.

cheers meece

Return to “Daihatsu”