Clints Cruiser Project

Clint
Hard Yaka

Clints Cruiser Project

Postby Clint » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:15 pm

Note: Pic links now all updated to new pic host Smugmug.

The trusty old Suzuki was slowly falling apart after many years of hard use & it was time for a replacement.

So I bought a 1991 Landcruiser Prado LJ71 a couple of months ago with the intention of making a decent 4x4 out of it. I decided on the prado 'cos its not too big, has beam axles, coils, disc brakes all round & has a pto option.I found it on Trademe, 190K & in pretty good nick, apart from 2 patches of rust under the rear lights. My good mate Damian down in Welly checked it over for me & the deal was done. Got it for $5K & headed down soon after to pick her up. Had to try it out of course & duly got stuck in a local creek :oops:

Had a nice drive around the hills & south coast though

Poor thing was pretty much stock, took a few more before pics:

I've just finished a rear bar. Hopefully my 15" rims arrive today & the tyre shop can fit up the new Sumitomo Serengeti 33's that are there waiting. Next will be the purchase of a PTO winch (the guy I bought it off has one for sale) & construction of a front bar.

Cheers
Clint
Last edited by Clint on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Postby IcedJohnno » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:09 am

I take it by the colour, that your Prado is the 2.4 T? Are you going to upgrade to a Lexus or twin cam 6?

Any chance of some Piccys of your rear bar? Yet another of the to-do jobs on my KZJ71 Prado.

My front cross-member has a curve in it which I figured must have been for a PTO shaft. You are lucky to have found the winch thou as Ive only heard of one other, a KZJ78 with a winch, here in NZ.

I have heard that 33's will fit without a lift and without rubbing on the body although the vehicle in question, a 71 seen in Chch was definately sitting higher than mine on its springs. Have you lifted yours yet? If not I am keen to get some feedback on any tyre issues.

Get some lockers when you can, adding the extra one to mine gave a second quantum leap over not having the rear one engaged.
Cheers John

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am

Yep, 2.4 turbo handgrenade, it blows a bit of smoke on startup but actualy goes OK for what it is. A Lexus will be going in eventually.
I've got the rear bar off to paint at the moment so I'll get plenty of pics for ya on & off the wagon. It had a pretty solid towbar on it so I just built off that.
The previous owner had put the gear into the t-case & fitted a PTO winch, then he took it off. I'm going to buy it off him so it should bolt straight back on.
Got the 33's on yesterday. The suspension is still stock. A quick run up a mild track didn't show any rubbing issues. I'll do some more testing in the weekend hopefully :D
Lockers are definitely on the list, maybe a lockrite in the back pretty soon.

Cheers
Clint

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Mon May 15, 2006 9:38 am

Rear quarters are trimmed, rear bar is on, 5x 33x12.5 Sumitomo Serengeti's with tubes on new 15x8 steel rims are on. No rubbing issues but they do only measure up at about 32". Tried on Dans 34" swampers but more lift required...

The previous owner wanted $1000 for the Toyota PTO box & winch :shock: so I got an aftermarket PTO setup off Trademe for $550.
The Winch Industries PTO box has been rebuilt with new bearings & seals & bolted up - it looks real strong & is a little faster than the std toy unit. Still need to make a lever though. I swapped the monster winch I got for a std toyota PTO unit in vgc. (A mate is going to use the GT Gillies monster winch on his comp truck) Just waiting on some new bearings for it then construction of the front bar can begin.

Oh yeah, this arrived in the Monster Garage last week:

Next weekend is the MONSTER BUILD! :twisted:

Cheers
Clint
Last edited by Clint on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Mon May 15, 2006 6:59 pm

you dont piss about do ya! :D looking good. i like those wagons/trucks/4wds/suvs... just thought id cover all bases so i didnt get anyone telling me off for using the wrong name :wink:

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Wed May 17, 2006 8:34 am

WACKO wrote:you dont piss about do ya! :D looking good.

Cheers, Stuff like some decent tyres, bars & a winch is all pretty straightforward, it's just a matter of getting stuck in.

I'm just the boy on the engine job though, My mate Mike is the man on that one, he's done a few Lexus conversions now so he's pretty efficient. Klem (TeLexs) is our other partner in crime & all the classy welding & engineering on the project will be the work of these guys.

We've been pretty busy the last few evenings making the flywheel & adapter plate, sorting out wiring & stuff. Last night the engine got a new waterpump cambelt etc. I got the PTO winch back together with new bearings & a lick of paint so hopefully the weekend after next the front bar can be made.

Queens Bday is our big annual 4wd session so the cruiser has to be usable by then.

Cheers
Clint

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed May 17, 2006 8:45 am

Clint wrote:We've been pretty busy the last few evenings making the flywheel & adapter plate, sorting out wiring & stuff.

This is the juicy stuff... the bits we want to see... take photos :)

Looks like its gonna be a nice truck when its done... it would be cruel to deny us the chance to see how it was made... pics of people welding their thumbs together, milling off the end of their leg, angle-grinding big chunks out of their arm (eh Rik? :lol:)... its all of historical relevance, and adds to the value and 'bling bling' status of the truck :D

Steve

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed May 17, 2006 9:19 am

Need pics so I can do it to my truck :)
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Wed May 17, 2006 11:08 am

Don't worry boys, I've been taking a few pics, I'll throw some up tomorrow.

Cheers
Clint

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu May 18, 2006 8:26 am

Making the flywheel on Mike's high tech CAD/CAM CNC Machining centre:

New bits on the motor:

Running the motor on the test rig last night:

Seems to run alright. Mike reckons it needs a good thrashing though. Luckily I happen to know just the person for that job :twisted:
Last edited by Clint on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rangielux
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangielux » Thu May 18, 2006 9:13 am

Did ya wake up the neighbours :P

Nice job. Hope you didn't run out of coolant (Steinlager :) )

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Thu May 18, 2006 9:21 am

Ya dont wanna sell me that aircon pump do ya?
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Thu May 18, 2006 9:27 am

Clint wrote:Image

Never mind all that engineering nonsense... send me that calendar! Image

Seriously tho... that flywheel looked lovely... always wanted a lathe so I could make something like that... what do you reckon it would cost for him to machine another one up? I'll need one for my 2JZ Supra...

Steve

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 am

Jafa wrote:Ya dont wanna sell me that aircon pump do ya?

I'd love to... it doesn't go... hows $100 sound? :)
I'm going to run an aircon onboard air setup, luckily there was another pump lying around the workshop to use. I'll find out if there are any others spare.

Not sure on the going rate for a flywheel. A lexus would be no prob but for anything else the crank etc would most likely be required to build off.

The calendar: http://www.wickedweasel.com/

Cheers
Clint

TeLexs
Bush Crasher

Postby TeLexs » Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 am

Don't forget i don't drink warm coolant , I hope the fridge don't brake down and you have the hot lint to the the pizza hut (extra anchovies)
If this is supplied You get free labour all weekend and I will help clean out the jap smog from the motor , Mike and I will take it out for a test run sunday morning while you play on your KTM ,
TeLexs ...

Another monster build on its was.

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu May 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Don't you worry mate. There will be more than adequate stocks of 'Workshop Consumables' on hand, the fire will be lit & the Pizza Delivery man will be on high alert. There may even be some bourbon for when certain KPI's are met. :D

A test run you say... shit... better go & swap the old wheels back on otherwise all that's left of my new mudders will be a smoking streak of rubber going up Totara st :P

T minus 3hrs to MONSTER BUILD :twisted:

Cheers
Clint

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Thu May 18, 2006 6:51 pm

queens bday? a certain farm? with a certain terry in his rally truck?

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Fri May 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Never mind all that engineering nonsense... send me that calendar!

a man could waste a bit of time on that website :D :D

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri May 19, 2006 7:36 pm

a man could waste a bit of time on that website

true that :shock: missed the fact its suppose to be advertising ..... well advertising for profit i mean :lol:

peow peow :D

Clint
Hard Yaka

IT LIVES IGOR! IT LIVES!

Postby Clint » Mon May 22, 2006 8:39 am

Well the weekends Monster Build was a raging success. :D I drove the newly 1UZ-FE equipped 'Cruiser to work this morning & it is running & sounding fantastic. Only a couple of minor tidy up jobs to do now. The disc of pics I brought in to work to upload isn't working so the full illustrated report will have to wait for tomorrow.

WACKO wrote:queens bday? a certain farm? with a certain terry in his rally truck?

Nope. But a certain undisclosed location somewhere in the Nth Is will be humming with the sweet sound of at least 32 1UZ-FE cylinders.

Cheers
Clint

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Mon May 22, 2006 3:30 pm

hmmm. thought i had it all sused!

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 am

Thursday 1600. After checking that there are adequate stocks of essential workshop consumables the wrecking team of Eamon, Dan & Klem take to the Cruiser with great enthusiasm & a selection of dangerous powertools to extract the boatanchor 2LTE. Mike puts the finishing touches on the bellhousing & flywheel.

Thursday 1900. The plasma cutter & angle grinder are deployed on the old engine mounts. The dummy block is installed, clearances look good, just a couple of taps to the firewall are required to clear the head on one side. The supercharger should fit under the hood nicely.

Just kidding about the blower, that’s actually for another project. Maybe one day.

Friday 0800. The block is positioned & engine mounts are fabricated. The fuel pump is installed. Pricey fabricates the modified thrust bearing. The big bore manifolds are finished off.

Friday 1400. The new motor goes in. The sump will need modifying but otherwise it fits well. Hoses & wires are connected. Klem gets into the exhaust - twin 2 ½" sidepipes.

Friday 1900. Pizza 'o clock.

Saturday 0830. The laptop is jacked into the workshop stereo & the Hard Fast & Heavy playlist cranked up. Klem continues with the exhaust & makes up the front mounts for the upcoming side bars while at it. Mike modifies the radiator & shroud to fit. I extract the redundant wiring & mount the ECU high up in under the dash where the original injector pump controller was. More wiring is sorted.

Saturday 1100. Man that tastes good. Beer, Rock 'n Roll & Powertools for Africa. What more could a workshop need?

Dancing Naked Chicks?

Well, yeah Mike I can't argue with that.

Saturday 1445. The motor runs for the first time in it's new home. One major issue still to sort out though: the side of the sump is sitting on the front diff. Mike attacks a sump with the grinder & TIG & completes a precision cut & shut. All the engine bay peripherals go back in to their original positions. The grille & front trim go back on.

Saturday 1900. New sump on. All electrical systems go. The exhausts are completed & sound positively symphonic. We're starting to make a dent in the bourbon by this stage however so a test drive is postponed.

Sunday 1700. Had to go & fang around the new Taupo racetrack on the KTM all day so not much done 'til the afternoon. Mike bled the clutch & I got the command to go forth & test drive. Wooo Hooo! It pulls like a schoolboy & everything works sweet! There isn't much left to do on the conversion, a set of sparkplugs, tune up the ECU, Fit #2 throttle body & linkage, tidy some wiring & fit some of the little covers back on. A bit more muffling might be needed but I think I'll enjoy the glorious noise for a week or two first

All in all a hugely successful Monster Build weekend. Massive thanks are due to the team, especially the masters of metal & wizards of the welder Mike & Klem.

Next weekend the side bars will be fabricated & hopefully the front bar & winch mount will be done in time for Queens bday as well.

Cheers
Clint
Last edited by Clint on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Tue May 23, 2006 8:10 am

:) some good progress man , with the power to prove it :twisted: :twisted:

SupraSurf
Hard Yaka

Postby SupraSurf » Tue May 23, 2006 8:59 am

Last edited by SupraSurf on Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Tue May 23, 2006 10:33 am

SupraSurf wrote:Wicked stuff.. well done.. now go and thrash it !!
we need some audio of the nice sound the V8 makes :D

Having seen him drive his old zuk, this can be guarenteed :lol:

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 am

I could probably sell a CD :D I'll work out the video thing soon.
I'm thinking about making any extra muffling removable - If we can fit some short cobys in & not have to join up the 2 pipes we'll be able to retain the side exits & swap the existing end pipes back on for offroad use :twisted:

Cheers
Clint

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:40 pm

I have seen quite a few hot rods where the pipes and mufflers are permanant, but there is a bend and a removeable plate covering the opening before the mufflers for race day. sorry no pic but there are a few around.

plate on noise and gas out through mufflers plate off then noise and gas exits out this way.

good word on the monster build the gge looks well setup if only I had a gge like that.

Rangielux
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangielux » Tue May 23, 2006 7:48 pm

Steve_t647 wrote:I have seen quite a few hot rods where the pipes and mufflers are permanant, but there is a bend and a removeable plate covering the opening before the mufflers for race day.

Called "dump pipes" :)

Don't know how the wof fellas view those now tho?

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Wicked skills guys. Nice solid acheivement in a weekend.

Are you going to waterproof any of the engine electricals for the motor?

Cheers
Matt.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed May 24, 2006 6:31 am

Sorry to be a party poop'er, dump pips and removable baffles are illigal :(
be sneaky 8) or do it arfter cert and find a local WoF mechanic whoes not to clued :D :D I got me one :wink: farm service stations are a good place to look 8)

Hey impressive build like the exhust pipes!! :twisted: Well done!

Cheers Reece

Return to “Projects / Mod's”