Kiwi 4x4 Members and potential members

skid
Tyre Man

Kiwi 4x4 Members and potential members

Postby skid » Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Righto its rant time, or decision time or something else time :?

As some of you will be aware Kiwi 4x4 Club came about through ORE as a need for those 4wders on ORE to be affiliated to the NZFWDA.
It was mooted as a nationwide club for all to join and benefit from.
Lately it has become predominitely a Wellington member based club and the numbers are lacking.

The last actual meeting was the AGM which occured a year ago and theres been no meetings since, which I'm sure is against the constitution in some way :shock:

What I'm curious to know is if those of you who are members are willing to stay in the club and of those who are members, how many are actually affiliated through Kiwi or are you just an associate member and affiliate to the NZFWDA through another club.

Also those of you who are members from outside of the Wellington area, would you still remain in the club and if the club was to be a Wellington based club would you be able to join another one in your area or would you be happy being a member of a club in another region.

Now to those of you who are members and from Wellington, would you see it as a boost for the club if it were to become Wellington based and had monthly meetings like every other club.

My reasons for this post are clear and simple as the club seems to be in decline and nothing is being done to rectify it.

There are current members who are all but ready to leave at this years AGM if it happens, myself included.

I am currently a members of 2 other clubs and don't need to be in Kiwi, but by the same token, I don't want to see it die as theres been a bit of work by some members to get it up and running and keep it going.

I chose to voice this on this forum as the Kiwi 4x4 forum is little used.

OK, thats my point put across, so its time for your responses.

Cheers

SKID
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Re: Kiwi 4x4 Members and potential members

Postby kiwipete » Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 pm

I am of course not in Wellington but I would still like to be a member so i can also be affiliated to the NZFWDA . Who knows, one day when that big boat has a elcheapo deal I might drive over to ya'll for a fun weekend. :wink:
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 pm

I joined Kiwi originally to support the club, even though I wasn't an active 4wder at the time. I thought it would be a great way to get involved in trips outside of my region (Nelson) once I got a 4wd again, meet more fellow 4wders and potentially avoid a lot of the traditional club 'politics'.
I was intending to rejoin the club in the next few months but in reality, I can get out 4wding enough with my mates and through the few trips arranged through ORE.
Though the 4wd aspect of the ORE site has been diminishing as time goes by.
If Kiwi turns into a local Wellington based club, then I think I am better off to join up to a local club and become an associate member of Kiwi (if at all?)
Kiwi has been a great vehicle for the welly crowd to get their teams challenge up and running, so perhaps is better suited to being a local club?
As Skid says, the there isn't much activity outside Wellington.
I am still keen to support it as a national club.

Hard Yaka

Postby 007 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 pm

"Now to those of you who are members and from Wellington, would you see it as a boost for the club if it were to become Wellington based and had monthly meetings like every other club."

Meetings could be at say rallywood or. :D
Latest mod, pin stripes, hit the same branch I did on the way in on the way out.

ford ranger wildtract and sj.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:35 pm

A quick check shows 11 current members of kiwi 4x4 do not belong to another club. All of those members are in the greater Wellington area.
Tony Burgess
President NZFWDA
Tony.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu May 03, 2012 6:28 am

skid wrote:As some of you will be aware Kiwi 4x4 Club came about through ORE as a need for those 4wders on ORE to be affiliated to the NZFWDA.

The main reason was to make access negotiations easier as we represented a club. At that time there were a number of us responding to DoC's Conservation Management Strategies in various parts of the country. It was decided to become affiliated to NZFWDA to help the cause, have a voice nationally and as a side benefit we received their insurance cover. (I had found costs for us to procure our own insurance cover).

The last actual meeting was the AGM which occured a year ago and theres been no meetings since, which I'm sure is against the constitution in some way :shock:

It is.

If it dies, it will be a shame, took a lot of time and effort to get it going.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am

I'm not a Wellintonion, but I'm keen to join to support, but I'll wait and see what happens here.
If you break it... build it stronger.

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 am

Not in Wellington but still keen to stay as a passive member.
Cheers
Tim

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am

What I'm curious to know is if those of you who are members are willing to stay in the club

I havent been a member for 12 months but I'm over throwing my toys out of the cot :x and would rejoin again

and of those who are members, how many are actually affiliated through Kiwi or are you just an associate member and affiliate to the NZFWDA through another club

When I was a member I initially had my affiliation through kiwi but my other club double dips and pockets the affiliation fee and dosent rebate it if affiliated through another club :roll:

Now to those of you who are members and from Wellington, would you see it as a boost for the club if it were to become Wellington based and had monthly meetings like every other club.

Without trying to detract from the nationwide status of the club it has only really been active in Wellington and I think with most Wellington Clubs being pretty much invite only and pretty hard to get involved with (other than CCVC) there is definately a niche for another Club in Wellington. If I rejoined and there were regular monthly meetings I'd attend Image

My reasons for this post are clear and simple as the club seems to be in decline and nothing is being done to rectify it

I dont really know if I'd entirely agree that the Clubs in decline, it definately runs different to other local based clubs coz of its online and national status and it dosent have regular scheduled trips or hold regular meetings but I think its works well and the 4-5 trips and events it holds each year are always big and well supported and the fact that half the vehicles are from other clubs or from no club says something :D

The clubs friendly and easy going, runs trips to cater for all driving skill and levels, has very little politics, has a good Pres that gets off his arse and and organises shit....I wouldnt like to see it go :o

Beer_Cruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby Beer_Cruiser » Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

So lets have a Wellington meeting...when and where? Would prefer earlier in the week myself...say a Tuesday...bout 6pm...suggest earlier in the month rather than later in the month....Parrot and Jigger?

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Beer_Cruiser wrote:So lets have a Wellington meeting...when and where? Would prefer earlier in the week myself...say a Tuesday...bout 6pm...suggest earlier in the month rather than later in the month....Parrot and Jigger?

If all of this goes ahead and becomes a Welly based thing, I was in fact thinking of a Tuesday night but at the Station Cafe in front of the P&J.

Primary reason for picking this location is that Valley and Windy already have thier meetings there on certain Tuesdays and the Station Cafe look after us.

Usually go there for a meal before a 7.30pm meeting :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

What about the 2nd tuesday of every month .... is the 1st one next month?

Maybe other centres eg chch ak could hold regular meetings if theres interest
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Jerry wrote:What about the 2nd tuesday of every month .... is the 1st one next month?

if you are going to Station Cafe, then you can't go on the last Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday as they belong to other clubs, maybe the 1st Tuesday so all the simple folk can remember the date :lol: :lol:

But before we rush off and do this, lets just wait and hear what a few others have to say about it.
In particular the apparent 11 members who affiliate through Kiwi and are from the greater Wellington region :wink:

*CHILLAX BRO.*

blackbetty
Bush Crasher

Postby blackbetty » Thu May 03, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm keen to get back into club stuff, (Trips, meetings, organizing trips).
I have signed up for kiwi but havnt heard back yet?? :roll:
Tuesdays sound good.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm

skid wrote:
Jerry wrote:What about the 2nd tuesday of every month .... is the 1st one next month?

if you are going to Station Cafe, then you can't go on the last Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday as they belong to other clubs, maybe the 1st Tuesday so all the simple folk can remember the date :lol: :lol:

But before we rush off and do this, lets just wait and hear what a few others have to say about it.
In particular the apparent 11 members who affiliate through Kiwi and are from the greater Wellington region :wink:

can us prospective members come along to the proposed club meeting/beer night :D

Hard Yaka

Postby 007 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:19 pm

If you do plan to keep it going you may wish to consider this.

I really think the club could promote itself better through ore. I'm new and don't really know anything about it, and even when setting up an ore thread about clubs was only directed to ccvc.

If you sent an pm to all ore members about the club how to organize trips etc. It could become more active. Even regular info etc about the club. Or set up monthly trips around the country. You could have meetings at those trip.

I do like the casualness about the club and think ore organized trips are the best. Everyone is just about fun which is what it should be about.
Latest mod, pin stripes, hit the same branch I did on the way in on the way out.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri May 04, 2012 7:37 pm

007 wrote:If you do plan to keep it going you may wish to consider this.

I really think the club could promote itself better through ore. I'm new and don't really know anything about it, and even when setting up an ore thread about clubs was only directed to ccvc.

check out the little used Kiwi website/forum http://www.kiwi4x4.org.nz/

If you sent an pm to all ore members about the club how to organize trips etc. It could become more active. Even regular info etc about the club. Or set up monthly trips around the country. You could have meetings at those trip.

all of this would work quite well if the club held regular monthly meetings similar to other clubs, in the past the Kiwi site has been little used and most stuff is put on ORE which seems to be the problem, but this is my personal opinion

I do like the casualness about the club and think ore organized trips are the best. Everyone is just about fun which is what it should be about.

its almost too casual which has caused the club to lack members because virtually everything is done on ORE instead of through usual club avenues

p.s. the reason you would of been put on to CCVC is because the other Welly clubs are small and invite only and made up of long time friends which makes it harder for a stranger to get in, also CCVC have the best setup for new to 4wd folks

p.s.s. all of my above comments are just my opinion and may not necessarily be the view of others

*CHILLAX BRO.*

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 pm

i was never a fan of the name change the ORE name immediately tied it to this site and yes there were some negatives about that but there were also alot of positive things with that name too
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Hard Yaka

Postby 007 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:57 pm

I do under stand these view's may not be the view of others but could be worth considering.

all of this would work quite well if the club held regular monthly meetings similar to other clubs, in the past the Kiwi site has been little used and most stuff is put on ORE which seems to be the problem, but this is my personal opinion

I dont know what the rule's are for meeting's. but maybe a meeting thread could an idea as the club is nation wide.

You my have nailed the challenge there Skid, maybe merging Ore and kiwi4x4 together to a degree, could be the answer to make both more trip active. This could be done through the trip section on ORE, by having a calendar that sinks with kiwi4x4 trips. trip criteria level of skill damages etc. You will need to be a kiwi 4x4 member to organise trips. and that could be displayed under your supporter status.

Being new to the club scene myself, things seem a little daunting, people may respond positively to receiving an invite or something.

Just brain storming ideas here.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sat May 05, 2012 4:11 pm

007 wrote: maybe merging Ore and kiwi4x4 together to a degree, could be the answer to make both more trip active.

thats how it started but it didnt work, the club was initialy "Offroad Express National 4WD Association" but it got too complex beween what was the club and what was the public forum so it got a name change to "Kiwi 4x4" and seperated off ORE site and on to its own site etc

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat May 05, 2012 5:09 pm

skid wrote:
007 wrote:If you do plan to keep it going you may wish to consider this.

check out the little used Kiwi website/forum http://www.kiwi4x4.org.nz/

its almost too casual which has caused the club to lack members because virtually everything is done on ORE instead of through usual club avenues

p.s. the reason you would of been put on to CCVC is because the other Welly clubs are small and invite only and made up of long time friends which makes it harder for a stranger to get in, also CCVC have the best setup for new to 4wd folks

p.s.s. all of my above comments are just my opinion and may not necessarily be the view of others

Initially there were regular kiwi gettogethers but this dropped off due to lack of numbers, get the regular meetings going again (even every 2 months if this is betterer), a few more trips especially those aimed at shiny trucks / new members would help (not skid scratchy shiny :roll: ).

Was an ORE Assn / Kiwi member (got the sticker still :lol: ), gone back to 2 clubs now (was 3 :shock: )
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat May 05, 2012 5:17 pm

at the end of the day

ORE is an internet forum for 4wd enthusiasts

Kiwi 4x4 Club is a club which started as an offshoot of ORE

in order for them to work, they need to remain separate

I'm sure trips could be put on ORE and visitors could attend, but to make it work, there should be an day membership form for visitors to fill out and a fee to pay, so they realise that they can't come on trips all the time as visitors and will need to join the club in the future :wink:

No offence 007, but you are new here and this stuff has been thrown around lots before etc etc

I only put this thread up to get a response and was trying to get that response from current members, but alas it seems that they are conspicuous in their absence :(

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 pm

skid wrote:at the end of the day

ORE is an internet forum for 4wd enthusiasts

Kiwi 4x4 Club is a club which started as an offshoot of ORE

in order for them to work, they need to remain separate

I'm sure trips could be put on ORE and visitors could attend, but to make it work, there should be an day membership form for visitors to fill out and a fee to pay, so they realise that they can't come on trips all the time as visitors and will need to join the club in the future

Some overlap between KIWI/ORE to get trips going more regularly could be a good idea.
I'm liking this post/idea Skid

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Any progress on a meeting night in Wellington, havent heard much from existing members or the Pres yet although I know hes a bit laid up sorting out war wounds at the moment, it wouldnt require any constitional or rule changes to hold any meetings for members

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:Any progress on a meeting night in Wellington, havent heard much from existing members or the Pres yet although I know hes a bit laid up sorting out war wounds at the moment, it wouldnt require any constitional or rule changes to hold any meetings for members

you hit the nail on the head marty

I have been waiting for current members to comment on the proposed alterations, but they seem to be deciding against commenting.

I'm currently the secretary, but there are still a Pres and Tres who have to comment and according the NZFWDA Pres there are 11 current members who affiliate thru the club and are Welly based and I don't think any of them have commented yet either.

I only put the suggestion out there to try and keep the club going, but there are others who care about the club a lot more than me or you and they have yet to comment, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

At the end of the day I am already in other clubs and the Pres of one of them. so I don't really need to be pushing this club, but I know the effort thats gone into it and don't want to see it die :(

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Beer_Cruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby Beer_Cruiser » Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Im still keen to get this happening

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm not part of the welly group but will be looking to join up possibly in Auckland.now I've come off nights which ive been on for the last 3 1/2 years I'm actually in a position to attend some meetings if they were to happen.just thought id throw that in there.that and i think kiwi4x4 being a web based club is a really good thing to have as an option for people
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm

muddyhilux wrote:...that and i think kiwi4x4 being a web based club is a really good thing to have as an option for people

If you keep it a national club Id join, I have been a member of a local club before and apart from a few cool trips didnt enjoy meetings etc. Alot of the older members are really stuck in there ways and dont seem to welcome new members...like the local NZDA too...
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

SV1K
Site Admin

Postby SV1K » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm

I have been waiting for said Wellington members to post up before saying anything... but it would seem that they don't want to or they haven't seen this thread (don't know why...)

I want to see the club continue and having regular meetings is what is needed, but having them online like we used to just didn't work, way to hard to contain order and then to get the minutes in order to read nice was a nightmare!

If members don't speak up, they can't moan when things change, and who cops the flack for that? The pres does... that's who, I have big shoulders tho and can handle it.

As for making it a local club, I don't want to see this club die and if it means changing to a Wellington based club then so be it...

Skid, you mentioned in your first post that we have not had a meeting since the last AGM, this is correct and the reason for this as we needed to have 5 committee members present for this to happen, there are three committee members so it would always have to be called a no-show meeting, waste of time trying to have them.. catch 22!! I hate it at the moment that we don't get any members willing to step up and assist with the running of the club but they all want trips to be run and then they mean when you don't run them... well someone has to run the club and if you don't have support then you start to think ' why am I doing this?'
Why doesn't Kiwi4x4 website get used that much?? Well it is not hosted out in the big wide interweb like ORE, it is hosted by one of the members on here and he doesn't want all the dribble posted on it like what happens on here, YES we are looking at having it moved, but this takes time and someone to administer it for us as well... so please understand that w are aware that it's not easy to use Kiwi4x4.org.nz but we are looking at sorting that out.

I enjoy 4 wheel driving and the friendship's that I have made and will continue to make in the years ahead, but I am not willing to run the club on my own, so.... COME ON GUYS AND GIRLS, COME HELP IT'S NOT THAT HARD A JOB REALLY.

In saying all this, I have received 3 new membership requests in Wellington and I am aware of a couple more that will want to join as well, so membership is growing even though it is at a small rate.

Reece
President of Kiwi4x4
http://www.Kiwi4x4.org.nz

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon May 07, 2012 9:45 pm

suzuki1k wrote:... Skid, you mentioned in your first post that we have not had a meeting since the last AGM, this is correct and the reason for this as we needed to have 5 committee members present for this to happen, there are three committee members so it would always have to be called a no-show meeting, waste of time trying to have them.. catch 22!!Reece
President of Kiwi4x4
http://www.Kiwi4x4.org.nz

What positions are currently vacant Reece?

Return to “Feedback”