4D56 reliability?

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

4D56 reliability?

Postby CLUMZ1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Gidday, wondering if anyones had a 4D56 in a mitsomthing for a couple of years, how have you found it? reliable? leaky? hot?

I understand they run a cam-belt instead of chain, is this correct?

are they an interferance engine if cam belt breaks?

thanks,
Adam

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Re: 4D56 reliability?

Postby Cameron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

cambelt.
I had a turbo one for a few years and did heaps of km without a single issue. was high kays when I got it and I still notice that vehicle driving around as a workshop's runabout. I used to service it religiously but it worked immensely hard for it's keep. not a single issue.
I also had a ute with a non turbo one. had done a shitload of kays as a workshop beater. never had a rebuild. had a dead glowplug so it started on 3cyl on cold mornings but ran like a champ. ran it for almost 6 months up and down the north island, lent it to mates, towed stuff, no problem. sold it to a guy that used to cart heaps of stuff on it and commute large mileages in it. he went to prison apparently but the ute is still going. lol.
servicing is the key.

doo0Tdoo0T
Driver/Navigator

Postby doo0Tdoo0T » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Bought an '86 L300 motorhome in England and drove it 12000kms around Europe over 5 months on a single oil change with not a single issue, started first time every time even at nearly 10,000ft up in the alps, never used oil, never blew smoke.
It did get hot if you left your foot up it going up a long hill in a high gear so we learned not to push it too hard and so it didn't get hot again. Could have been to do with the nearly 2.5tonne gross weight!

Got a turbo L300 now, only just got it but hopefully it's as good.....

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Postby mudbugga » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I had a L200 with a 4D56T for a few years.
Economical engine compared to my mates 1KZ Surf but lacked some of the top end legs though. With a few mods though it certainly came alive. ;)

Like anything mechanical, if it's not looked after properly it will fail.
So give it regular oil changes with decent oil and filters, keep the cooling system mint and generally look after it and it'll last.

Yes the engines are a interference type. The most damage I've seen personally is broken rockers. They are the sacrificial spot so other damage doesn't occur.
There are 2 timing belts. 1 is for the cam and the other is for the balance shaft. This smaller belt can be a problem and there are some that have deleted it all together. Plenty of info on the www regarding 4D56T's etc.
Mitsy recommended timing belt replacement every 80k on them.

A decent larger exhaust system as well as fitting an intercooler also goes a long way to help.

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

this is a non turbo to be used as a daily, got a good price but havent purchased yet.

as for harmonic belt, I understand some can be run without it quite happily, 'cos if the harmonic belt breaks it typically takes everything else with it.

does anyone run a '56 without the harmonic belt?

Pajmad
Bush Crasher

Postby Pajmad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Yip i biff that balance belt away, all you get is a slight vibration in the higher revs without it. my 56 had scored bore and 220k on the clock, chucked a decent set of rings at it and a head gasket, boosted to 24psi and reved to 6000rpm bloody thing did another 220k before melting a piston on the scored cylinder so i reckon good engine lol.
1992 lwb Pajero 2.3tdi 15psi Keeping It Real

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:41 am

What vintage are you refering to. my 2010 triton has a 4d56... It goes fine.
It would seem mitsi has a number of 4d56's
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 am

CLUMZ1 wrote:as for harmonic belt, I understand some can be run without it quite happily, 'cos if the harmonic belt breaks it typically takes everything else with it.
does anyone run a '56 without the harmonic belt?

Pajmad wrote:Yip i biff that balance belt away, all you get is a slight vibration in the higher revs without it. my 56 had scored bore and 220k on the clock, chucked a decent set of rings at it and a head gasket, boosted to 24psi and reved to 6000rpm bloody thing did another 220k before melting a piston on the scored cylinder so i reckon good engine lol.

Wife has a pjerao 56t and has done 110k and has had new head already.. partly due to short runs.. but when I pulled it the internals were like new still . Also had the balance belt let go and I donbt remeber when it went but i noticed it one day.. Had a look and just replaced it..didn't do any damage to anything else so recon thats great.. They are cheap to run and if servicing will go for ever..
24psi I'd like to know more about that as that is the thing with it in the pajero.. it's a slug.. anything to help get it moving along would be great..
cheers

motardbiker
Bush Crasher

Postby motardbiker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:04 pm

mudbugga wrote:...
Yes the engines are a interference type. The most damage I've seen personally is broken rockers. ......

Old mans 4d56t has survived 2 teenage sons driving antics, 2 broken balance belts, 1 broken cambelt (broke 2 rockers, replaced them without taking the head off) still has the original turbo! its done around 550 - 600,000km. Serviced every 10,000km and doesnt need any oil topped up inbetween, 2 Years ago I upped the fuel and boost for a bit more motivation :D so yeah i'd say pretty reliable!

karllovesmercedes
Driver/Navigator

Postby karllovesmercedes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey CLUMZ1, I have a 4D56T in my Paj.

I think they are a brilliant engine. Got mine at 189,000km from an owner in Auckland so was completely city driven. Since then I have done a heap of trips and been off-roading a fair few times. Off-road there is more than enough power when in low-range for any tricky hill climbs or mud. On the road it is fine around the city though the engine lacks power, though once the turbo kicks in it's singing. Although it's underpowered it will handle long trips fully-loaded - provided you watch your throttle so as not to overfuel and crack the head on a long climb. Shift down a gear or two to 4th or 3rd to ease up the engine load and it's fine. Goes slow (85kph@2750rpm) but gets there no worries :)

I have found that removing the muffler and straight-piping it made a heap of difference to the responsiveness. I actually picked up a little bit of fuel economy too.

In regards to how reliable they are, I am now around 220,000km and have done the regular oil servicing and changed all the belts, (timing and harmonic balancer. All I have had to replace on the car are worn bearings; thrust, input and power-steering idler (though that comes with an old truck :wink: lol) Though the engine itself still runs perfectly. I limit myself to 3000rpm and don't thrash it about. It's honestly extremely reliable as far as I have had it, and provided you watch the temps (fit an EGT guage) and don't plant your foot up a hill fully loaded, you shouldn't crack any heads.

Cheers

dan.c
Bush Crasher

Postby dan.c » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:35 pm

430km on engine - outlasted the rest of the truck, now its a bush-hack and its eaten water, held on the redline overheated and still wont die

Return to “Mitsubishi”