Buying advise 97 Terrano Manual

Moderator: Mark

samurai
Bush Crasher

Buying advise 97 Terrano Manual

Postby samurai » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:17 am

Hi all,

Hope you doing good!

I have found a nice low Km (Genuine 201,000km) Terrano in manual maintained well but used for towing the large boat.

This is TD27 Intercooler model engine fitted with an Electrical diesel pump (I guess) as no cable

I was reading some articles online about them and them bit of a worry looks to me, is that correct??

If the pump failed then what is the cost of getting a mechanical pump?

regards,
JC

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Buying advise 97 Terrano Manual

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am

two issues too discuss. Firstly , what is the manual trans variant(ie is it the "big' box or the smaller / weaker one? I'm pretty sure that model terrano (R50?)has the bigger box, so that is good for you if towing.
The Injector pump is about due to play up, but it is a lottery. Mine started dripping at 190k km. It cost around 2400 to be completely reconditioned, but a further $700-1000 of labour to remove and install. Hard to tell exactly as I had some other bits done at the same time (eg injectors serviced etc).
Non ETi TD27 pumps can be had cheaply, and even a full rebuild is only around $700 max. You have to source a throttle cable from an earlier terrano or navara, and you lose the tacho signal to your dash I believe. An intelligent auto sparky should be able to restore it, though.
You can do the swap on the cheap if you just bang in a second hand non electrical pump, rather than getting it reconned.
If I was after a tow wagon, I'd buy the QD32 version of the R50 (unfortunately these are all auto trans equipped) and put a trans cooler and temp gauge on it. The extra 50 nm of torque is handy. But if you like manual, and the TD27 ETi has enough grunt to do what you want, then go for it. Keep adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil on each diesel tank fill, which reduces internal wear on the pump, and stave off the repair/replace for as long as you can.
If the engine drives perfectly through out the rev range, then the pump is still working fine. they have gaps in the rev range, or shudders/ hesitations when they are on their last legs.
The problem with all these ETi wagons is that you can buy them for between 4 and 7 grand, but they have a potential $3500 repair bill waiting for at some point. However, the intercooled eti motors are so much more grunty than the earlier versions, , and so much cheaper than a 1KZ KZN185 intercooled Surf, it is hard to look past them.
In hindsight, I've replied in part thinking you wish to use it to tow, whereas your post probably just suggests that it HAS been used for towing, rather than you wish to use it for towing. Sorry.

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:two issues too discuss. Firstly , what is the manual trans variant(ie is it the "big' box or the smaller / weaker one? I'm pretty sure that model terrano (R50?)has the bigger box, so that is good for you if towing.
The Injector pump is about due to play up, but it is a lottery. Mine started dripping at 190k km. It cost around 2400 to be completely reconditioned, but a further $700-1000 of labour to remove and install. Hard to tell exactly as I had some other bits done at the same time (eg injectors serviced etc).
Non ETi TD27 pumps can be had cheaply, and even a full rebuild is only around $700 max. You have to source a throttle cable from an earlier terrano or navara, and you lose the tacho signal to your dash I believe. An intelligent auto sparky should be able to restore it, though.
You can do the swap on the cheap if you just bang in a second hand non electrical pump, rather than getting it reconned.
If I was after a tow wagon, I'd buy the QD32 version of the R50 (unfortunately these are all auto trans equipped) and put a trans cooler and temp gauge on it. The extra 50 nm of torque is handy. But if you like manual, and the TD27 ETi has enough grunt to do what you want, then go for it. Keep adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil on each diesel tank fill, which reduces internal wear on the pump, and stave off the repair/replace for as long as you can.
If the engine drives perfectly through out the rev range, then the pump is still working fine. they have gaps in the rev range, or shudders/ hesitations when they are on their last legs.
The problem with all these ETi wagons is that you can buy them for between 4 and 7 grand, but they have a potential $3500 repair bill waiting for at some point. However, the intercooled eti motors are so much more grunty than the earlier versions, , and so much cheaper than a 1KZ KZN185 intercooled Surf, it is hard to look past them.
In hindsight, I've replied in part thinking you wish to use it to tow, whereas your post probably just suggests that it HAS been used for towing, rather than you wish to use it for towing. Sorry.

Thank you for spending time to reply, above is helpful.

I am not going to tow, my intention to use it for beach and odd trips. i can get the truck for $3500 i am plaining to check the truck this weekend.

It is not something trashed only use for towing the boat.

I don't think it is dripping any diesel which i need to check

regards,
JC

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Postby nickmcdonald » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 pm

I've had two R50 Terrano's over the span of 8 years. I love them. Both mine were the 3.2 auto's, so not quite what you're looking at, but close. I love the 3.2 engines. Simple things, but they do have injector pump troubles as mentioned previously. My first Terrano started lurching whenever you'd shift into D. Like a big rev and shudder before settling down. Sometimes it'd do this and stall completely, before being a bitch to start. I drove it like this for 3 or so years before finally getting the Bosch agent in Penrose (gone now) to recon the injector pump. Was $2500 including two new engine mounts. These are gas filled and eventually collapse, leading to a bloody horrible vibration at idle. Easily done same time as the pump, and seriously worth doing....nice silky smooth idle again. My current Terrano is having the same injector pump symptoms, albeit very minor in comparison, and it doesn't bother me. First one was doing them at 160,000kms, current one has 310,000km on the clock and its doing it. Might be on its 2nd pump? Long story short, I'm not sure if they 'break' and stop working, or if they just wear out over time and slowly get worse. Both of mine have had 'faulty' injector pumps (current one still does), and both have been driven like that for years. Neither of mine leaked diesel mind you.

One of my old mans mates has about 5 of them, all used as workshop hacks. None of them are below 500,000kms, but he services them religiously. As you can imagine, he's had any and all the issues they experience. One weird one that i had to sort on my current one was a squeaky windscreen wiper. Horrible nails on a chalkboard sound when the wiper was on. You'd put your life on it being the windscreen. Dads mate had even had windscreens replaced trying to figure it out. Turns out it was the center wiper arm thing at the base of the windscreen. Nylon bush flogs out and starts squealing. $70 brand new from Nissan and it's sorted. I know they get a weird swaying thing on the motorway due to the rear suspension bushings wearing out, and apparently that's not a small job.

Bit of a yarn, but hope that helps when looking at it!

Return to “Nissan”