Snatching with bow shackles

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Snatching with bow shackles

Postby Mud Hog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:45 am

Something’s been bugging me after watch one of Australian 4wd action episode guys connecting a snatch strap to a bow shackle connected to a removable tow hitch. To be fair it wasn’t a spirited snatch but not the point. And the guy calls it a text book snatch.Products are changing maybe I have been left behind but anytime I use a snatch strap it will be connected to rated recovery hooks either end. Noticing people bolt on recovery tow points and using bow shackles to connect straps. Maybe I am too cautious but safety is important to me.
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Re: Snatching with bow shackles

Postby Petemcc » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:24 pm

I have never heard of a shackle letting go, just what it is attached to. They have a huge safety factor. I would happily use one attached to a good anchor point. I would not use one to join two ropes for snatching (would do for winching with a second winch blanket at the shackle). I have recently got some of the soft rope shackles and they are great for jointing ropes etc but need to be careful using them to connect to anchor points as they can get damaged easily by rough edges.

Not sure of the last time I did a snatch recovery since having a winch. A winch would now be at the top of my list if building another truck. So much more control over snatching. I would think that a lot accidents with snatch straps could have been avoided with winching.

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 pm

I am no engineer but the whole point in using the rated hooks if or when they fail they fold out not breaking. Where bow shackles will break/ let go if they fail. Steels not consistent and China is known for using crap steel. I want to try some of the soft rope shackles. I haven’t needed to use a snatch in a while or the winch, not always something to winch off like river beds. Mainly use the winch for other stuff now. Kind of why I am asking are rated recovery hooks a thing of the past? They have always been club/event requirements. The forces you can create from a snatch is a lot more than a winch( well the standard 12000lb)
GU patrol 35s ect.

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:23 pm

I'm with ya on the hooks man, have noticed it with all the Aussie shows, and aftermarket recovery points for late model utes etc are all closed loop for use with a bow shackle.
I've used a shackle through a towball hole (towball removed) for snatching without a problem, but feel much better now with a hook on each corner, bolted to the chassis with reinforcing to spread the load. I still like to keep my head tucked in front of the headrest or out of the line of fire, but maybe I'm a wuss lol..

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes that’s what I have noticed after spending all this spare time watching 4x4 vids. from Australia, but I have noticed local guys driving around with shackles and tow points with there strap wrapped around bullbar. I think of them as a fuse. I am a bit paranoid though after seeing what the tow balls do.
GU patrol 35s ect.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BXmM_JuBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STkTpTjDCU

I haven't watched the whole second one yet and can't find a video of seeing when a tow hook will open up. Interesting though

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Petemcc wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BXmM_JuBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STkTpTjDCU

I haven't watched the whole second one yet and can't find a video of seeing when a tow hook will open up. Interesting though

A quick search didn’t take long right here on this site

https://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/ ... hp?t=11987
GU patrol 35s ect.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 pm

Shit i remember reading that thread! That was a while ago. some interesting stuff in there.

So that thread say 5-10 ton to open or snap a tow hook and the video shows over 30ton to break the bow shackle.

I think the difference is the rating on the shackle is for lifting which has a higher safety factor?

Looking at that most mounting points will break before a shackle will.

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Exactly that’s the point it’s not the rating it’s not designed to be there and doesn’t need to be there
GU patrol 35s ect.

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:40 pm

ive got no issues with a bow shackle, but I did see the other day a ford ranger with U shackles hanging off his rear bar. :?

that been said, this rangers probably never been off road :lol:
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Return to “4wd Safety”