Buying a Hilux Surf Diesel IC model

samurai
Bush Crasher

Buying a Hilux Surf Diesel IC model

Postby samurai » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:17 am

Hi all,

Plaining to buy a Hilux Surf as the daily, I have found a 97 SSR-G done 266k Top mount IC model, Truck is stock standard.

I heard IC model better than none IC 1KZ, do i still need to remove the EGR? if yes, removing EGR is enough or do i need to replace the exhaust?

I am not using this for Towing at all, but I am keen to bypass the factory trans cooler, is that necessary?

regards,
JC

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Buying a Hilux Surf Diesel IC model

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:37 pm

there is heaps of discussion and suggestions (on this forum)on adding longevity to the 1KZ motor, so search away.
A 3 inch dump pipe and exhaust does allow the EGTs to run lower.
Bypassing the radiator trans cooler is often a good move, provided you hook up an aftermarket one to keep the trans cool. They heat up when on the sand etc. even if you won't be using it to tow.
The intercooled ones are the ones to have, IF you can afford them... Toyota tax is prevalent on them still.
Make sure the cooling system is in good order, and it has coolant in it, not just water.
They are a very practical wagon.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 pm

in another post you said you had bought a TD27 R50 terrano, did this fall through?

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 am

image0 (1).jpeg
I have bought this Wagon, This wasn't in my list at all due to the high price but after checking trucks (Even the fresh imports) I think I have made the correct decision.

1 NZ owner
170k (yes, Genuine 170k)
SSR-X but got the Sunroof and compass mounted next to the center mirror.
Well maintained (Full-service records)

Paid top $$ for this but well worth it.

regards,
JC
Attachments
image0 (2).jpeg
Last edited by samurai on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:28 am

BlakeNZ wrote:in another post you said you had bought a TD27 R50 terrano, did this fall through?

That didn't work as planned mate, I was looking for a Surf or a Terrano (as they cheap to buy)

Terrano, that I have put the deposit wasn't as described, whole cooling system full of rust and heater is blocked due to rust.

Hard to start when cold, I think heater plugs need replacing and diesel pump may need service (black smoke uphills)

Working on getting my deposit back :lol:

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 am

samurai wrote:Hi all,

Plaining to buy a Hilux Surf as the daily, I have found a 97 SSR-G done 266k Top mount IC model, Truck is stock standard.

I heard IC model better than none IC 1KZ, do i still need to remove the EGR? if yes, removing EGR is enough or do i need to replace the exhaust?

I am not using this for Towing at all, but I am keen to bypass the factory trans cooler, is that necessary?

regards,
JC

This truck looks stock but all the modes have done to it. Had a trip switch too.

Head gasket has gone, test drove the truck at Kaimai and water started coming out of the reserve tank after giving a bit of a blast but heat gauge at the correct place. lol

Return to “Toyota”