A442F Trans Problems

imsohi
Hard Yaka

A442F Trans Problems

Postby imsohi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi all

Trans Has started playing up in the Cruiser

Started when heading to nelson towing comp truck trans light came on over the hills nothing major and went off on the other side, on the way home put it in low box (less load) and it was sweet.

This weekend heading down the sounds not towing anything temp light came on going over the hill bit odd no load went off over the top again went to come home today and lost all drive after 10 min driving funny cavitating sound coming from gearbox, stop for 2 min's with truck switched off then start and would get drive for a little bit then stop again, did this all the way home

Has this happened to any one before?

I also picked up a auto last weekend for the torque converter as i thought mine was starting to pack up (could be an underlying issue) the auto is i suspect a ecu controlled one as it has 3 or 4 wires coming out behind the control module going to valve body, My auto doesnt have this so i am assuming mine is Hydraulic type, bit of a bugger as i could have sent this away to get rebuilt and done a swap over.

My thoughts are valve body issue, oil pump or T/C rather than the clutch packs as when you have stopped and start again it has some real positive drive then starts slipping as if its low on oil.

Yes oil is at the correct level and good red colour.
Last edited by imsohi on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: A442F Trans Problems

Postby Big » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:28 pm

could be low level oil..? filter blocked and if it is then rebuild it as it'll be the clutch linings failing.. Pump maybe..? sticking solenoids..? blockage in the cooling lines..? It is easy to drop its pants to check the filter.. but if you think there is more going on .. then pull it for a rebuild.. then you know that its good.. I had a small problem that you are describing but it ended up being the selector switch not being aligned properly and that had an affect of the whole trans..
Could check that too. ( my trans is ecu controlled so year after) I think trans care southland have them on the shelf for swap outs so may be good to give them a call.. Hope it's not serious.. BTW Mrs Leigh should get into production of videos.. She is mean at making them.. :wink:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Tc has shat itself :cry:

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Leigh,
Sounds just like mine was, will be you clutch plates starting to go blocking the filter, loses drive, stop for a minute then can drive for a bit then lose drive again.

Take the pan off and filter off and give it a clean, should go fine and then will have the same problem after a while when the filter blocks again, mine got to a stage where it was squealing due to the restriction and then pretty much lost drive, limped home about 10km 500m at a time.

If it is hydraulic will most probably be a A442F trans with a A440 hydraulic valve body like mine.

I rebuilt mine myself, just bought a kit and did it carefully

Cheers
Tim

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 am

mudlva wrote:Tc has shat itself :cry:

Yea on the list will send my replacement one away to get rebuilt this week.

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:23 am

suzolla wrote:Hi Leigh,
Sounds just like mine was, will be you clutch plates starting to go blocking the filter, loses drive, stop for a minute then can drive for a bit then lose drive again.

Take the pan off and filter off and give it a clean, should go fine and then will have the same problem after a while when the filter blocks again, mine got to a stage where it was squealing due to the restriction and then pretty much lost drive, limped home about 10km 500m at a time.

If it is hydraulic will most probably be a A442F trans with a A440 hydraulic valve body like mine.

I rebuilt mine myself, just bought a kit and did it carefully

Cheers
Tim

Will whip pan off tonight and inspect what sort of time frame did this happen over?? Weeks Months? Im hoping this is the case as its a cheap easy fix till i can get my shit sorted for the rebuild. Any info on the parts you used to rebuild your tranny? could be something im interested in trying as pulled a few A340s apart and reassembled with out to many issues.

thanks heaps for the info guys.

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Cant remember exactly how long it lasted after it first had the issue, but sure it was at least a few weeks, if it drives okay for a short while after a short rest probably okay for a bit. Clean the filter and see how it goes, wouldn't bother with new fluid if it still looks okay as you will be putting new stuff in the rebuilt trans, just filter it before you put it back in.

As for rebuilding I got a kit from the states, bought a A440 kit because I thought it was due to the Hydraulic valve body, tag said A442F, should have believed it as A440 had a couple of plates missing.

Pretty sure I have got a A442F kit at home that I was going to use for another trans rebuild, haven't used it yet. May be interested in selling it if you wanted it, would just buy another one from the States when I do another shipment sometime.
Has all the gaskets, seals, orings and plates.

Cheers
Tim

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Update time

pulled the auto tranz pan off and removed the filter

20150727_202911.jpg

As told by Keri and Tim filter was full of firbe obviously from the clutch packs.
20150727_202444.jpg

Hit it with a can of brake clean and removed 99% of it
20150727_202526.jpg

20150727_202508.jpg

Tomorrow night i will reassemble and fill with new trans oil old stuff was a little brown in colour.

Tim I will let you know re the rebuild kit need to have a talk to a few people first as i may look at upgrading it if possible as it will see alot of towing duties.

Will keep you all posted

Cheers Leigh

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

All back togeather now and working fine again, I talked to Nathan from Kaiapoi Repowers today, he said some last 3 weeks some last 6 months so looking at getting the parts ready for the rebuild. Tim how much for the kit if you still have it?? also looking at getting a Extreme Valve body form wholesale automatics in aus :mrgreen: - pending on price :roll:

good to have the old girl mobile again :D

Cheers for all the help

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”